Old 02-03-2024, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default subframe mount kits (differences?)

Hey!

I have some parts that belong to a local;
I am doing him a favor by (storing &) selling them on his behalf.

I have a subframe mount kit here, and I'm not sure what to make of it versus the kits currently being offered.

This kit was bought in 1990 and the package says it's from 'California Classic Chevy Parts';
It's part number C37, and lists the application as being 1967-1975.

I can see that Ames offers a kit #FS751 that has the same application range and retails for $39;
Ames also lists a "more correct" kit marketed as being 70-72;
That kit is part #FS752 and retails for $99 (a $60 up charge from the 67-75 kit).

I was wondering if anyone might by chance be able to offer a real world difference between the two Ames kits;
OR
If they anyone was familiar with the (now thirty year old) California Classic Chevy Parts kit?

Incidentally this gent paid $80(cnd) thirty years ago for this kit;
I am guessing a part of the high price, was because this was one of few companies which offered this kit at the time.

I want to offer to buy this kit from the gent (I'm going to come off cheap here), but don't want to pay $80 - unless there's something to look for about this kit, which might suggest it's current contemporary would be the "correct" 70-72 kit.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to offer any assistance.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have anything to add, other than I'm going through the same thing. I ordered Energy Suspension Poly body mounts, which came with the radiator support mounts as well.

The support mounts are no where near correct to fit my 70 support, so I just ordered the Ames support mount kit. I'll report back with fitment info once I get them in.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-06-2024, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had fully intended to use rubber mounts with my car;
I would wager your 'energy suspension' mounts may dimensionally be reflective of the generic kits - so I would be interested to know what the differences would be.

Any pictures you might share would be appreciated.

I replaced the rubber mounts on my car ages ago, and don't recall any issues with the ones I bought - but they are in poor shape from being installed in the car for many years... I do have them all assembled in the top of one of my tool boxes - so anything you can share, I will compare with what I removed, or what I can see about this 'CCCP' kit - which I decided to list to see if anyone wants them more than me.
(right after typing out that abbreviation I laughed - because that is FUNNY. I think I'm going to refer to them as 'communist' bushings from now on.)

Edit:

I just realized that I never uploaded images of this package.

Here we go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6826s.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	628067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6827s.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	628068  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, my Ames radiator support kit fits perfectly. The ones included in the Energy Suspension kit definitely look like 77-81 bushings.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National