Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2019, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 GTO Hardtop. Finally...

Well Gents,

After searching off and on for a couple of years now, I finally found the 71 GTO Hardtop I've been wanting. Another 09A build (like my 71 GTO Convertible project), and only about 300 VIN's apart. While both bodies were built in the same week, they were both caught in limbo during the Sept-Nov 1970 UAW strike. Eventually however, both shipped from the Pontiac plant on exactly the same date in early December. That's serendipity to me.

Quick breakdown on her: Base 400/400 column shift car, Quezal Gold, White Vinyl, and Jade Green interior. Certainly not a color combo high on most guys' lists, but I think she's absolutely beautiful! She's pure 1971 with that look.

Options include A/C, PS, PDB, Soft Ray windshield, sport mirrors, Rally II's, trunk light, and not much else. She's the right base from which to build my perfect daily driver. The original block is long gone, and while the current NOM 400 runs fine, I have a date correct 455 block and set of #66 heads I'll eventually build and install. Also, having fallen in luv with daily driving an M-13 (3 speed) in my 72 LeMans GT the last 6 years, I searched for and found a spare M-13 that will be installed in this girl along the way too. Other mechanicals will be tended to as needed, but the important thing is that the body work is already in what I call decent "driver" quality condition. It should be many years before I have to think about paint/body again. And though she looks beautiful in the pics and from a few feet away, she's not a show car and that's exactly what I was after. I simply wanted a good looking driver that I'm not afraid to drive regularly.

I found the car out in Illinois, so as I am want to do, I flew out to pick her up and drove her back here to AZ. The only casualties of the trip were one bad coil, one bad fuel pump, and a lost wheel center cap. To me, that's not too bad for a 2 day/2 night, 7 state, 1700 mile adventure in an unknown car. I bought her to drive, and that's just what I did and what I intend to keep doing.

I've attached a couple pictures of this great trip last week. Along the way, I met up with my brother (and my old 74 Bonne) in Springfield, MO, stopped during daylight hours at the TX and NM borders, and finished up with a final fuel stop in Flagstaff, AZ before getting home. What an adventure!

I am blessed and happy beyond what I deserve!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	517441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	517442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	517443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5315.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	517444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5353.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	517446  

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3