Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Rear drum issue: 64 Lemans

My rear reservoir on MC was plumbed to rear line...
.....front brake lines to front reservoir in June 2018(new dual CPP corvette style MC100-L)..by my car mechanic....car stops, but never been happy with it since last yr when this post was orig. made...now, this summer(Sept 2019), I changed up all new rear shoes, new spring kit and new adjuster hardware in both rear drum brakes...for ****s and giggles I jacked car up by the rear end and ran trans in drive at idle, rear wheels off ground and spinning about 15 mph...applied brakes..and no matter how hard i pressed pedal..i got ZERO rear brake...whls continued spinning!!..i used E brake and the rear whls stopped!!!
WTF???...do you think it is my rear line plumbed to the rear reservoir on MC???
I seem to remember getting decent bleed on rears(as mechanic did piss poor job and pedal was awfully spongy when i got it back)...how could i have this..he changed all the rear and front lines to new stainless and did rubber center line over the rear end also...???..help!!!..thanks

Old 10-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replied to your other post but the description in this thread suggests you may be having trouble bleeding then having it get spongy again.

It's been a while but I was driven bat-shixt crazy over a rear drum brake issue after converting to front discs.

Yours may be a different issue but you can re-live my saga here and get a lot of insight into brake component functions from the help I got from others on the forum (GStage1 and PontGuy were awesome). Post #34 is a good summary of my problem:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...light=cylinder

Net:

Issue: I could bleed to a solid pedal but it would then degrade and get spongy with no obvious leaks

Solution: Rear cylinders were the cause. They allowed air to suck back in when the pedal was retracted. I first fixed it by adding a residual pressure valve, then by changing to a different brand of rear cylinder. In the process, I replaced the master and the combo valve but I don't think either was the root cause.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Suspended

WOW!! Don't drive the car..

Pull each drum and see if it has resistance coming off.. If not, then move the self adjuster arm and tighten the brakes up while checking to see how the drum goes on.. It should have a slight resistance..