THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Old man tools.

I going to be 63 here in March and some things are just getting more difficult. I also have Psoriatic arthritis which make some things very hard to do. I bought this lifting table to make working on my small equipment easier and even though I have a two post lift, getting on the ground to set up the pads...I put a convex mirror on a pole so I can see under the car I'm lifting. Let's see your ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61405_W3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	525952  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A handy helper indeed, I purchased a lifting table and have used it many times. From getting engine blocks in and out of the pick up bed to moving the old 300 pound tube TV's to the curb on trash day.

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This, getting older stuff, ain't for sissies. At 61, I've had 2 right shoulder surgeries in 2019 and suspect I'll be getting a shoulder replacement soon. I've had some issues with the GTO's brakes during that time and I've found that getting down and then up from the ground is quite a challenge....and probably fairly funny to watch.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had one of those tables since I was 30 years old ... and I'm 61 now, so that's just plain a useful tool

Old 12-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A hydraulic lift table is a "must have" tool as far as I am concerned. In the last two days I used mine to lift a 428 short block into my Jeep. Pick a 400 block out of that same Jeep. Move a heavy new toilet into the house for a remodel and 8 boxes of ceramic tile into same room. 50 pounds each. That's in 48 hours! A real back/time saver.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Let's see your ideas!"

I'm older than the ages mentioned. Don't have a lift or the finances to get one. So, I still have to do it on a creeper. The hardest part of that is getting on the creeper & getting off the creeper.

For getting on the creeper, I bought knee pads from Lowes. I suppose they are used mostly for doing some sort of work on flooring. Anyhow, I only use 1, on my right knee. Prevents all knee pain in the getting up & down processes.

For getting up off the creeper, I leave the car windows open, and use my left hand on top of the door, to pull myself up. And, I have an old Borden milk crate on the floor, which I use to help push myself up, with my right hand/arm. So, I pull up with one arm & push up with the other. Yeah, it probably looks weird. But hey, there's nobody to see it. So, "whatever it takes".

Since I'm not in a hurry nowadays, it don't matter how long it takes to get up & down.

Another thing I have now, that I wish I'd had back in the old days, is small battery powered lights, rather than a corded mechanics light. These little lights can be aimed at different angles, & also have a magnet on 'em. Easy to get light exactly where you need it. And you don't have to mess with the cord, and getting it under the creeper wheels, or any of the other problems mechanic light cords can create. I bought rechargeable batteries & a good charger for 'em. Hope I never have to deal with a corded shop light, while under a car, ever again. I assume most of you guys cut the cord, & have been using batt powered lights for years.

That reminds me of the time I grabbed a shop light & couldn't let go. It could be used as an extension cord. The last plug we'd pulled out of it left one of the prongs in the light handle. So, when I grabbed the handle, it grabbed me. The current made the muscles in my arm contract, so that instead of letting go of the handle, my hand gripped the handle harder. All I could do was holler. Thankfully, another guy was there, who unplugged the light. Then, after he found out that I was OK, he just about rolled in the floor laughing at me. I didn't think it was funny, at all. I assume that if he hadn't been there, I might not be here today. Don't know. It is certainly something I'll never forget !

After that happened that night, I lost all desire to do any more work. So, me & the other guy grabbed some Coors that we had stacked in the corner of the shop, jumped into his '69 Z-28, & went cruisin. I'd recently bought 35 cases of Coors, on a trip we made to the D/FW area of TX. Back then, no Coors was sold in LA, legally. Most of you guys will probably remember that Smokey & The Bandit was about hauling a load of Coors to a state where it was not sold, legally. I made quite a few trips to Terrell, TX, to buy Coors. Had to make most of those trips by myself. But, there were always guys who wanted some, after I got back with it. Hey, thank God I lived past those days ! Haven't had a drink since 1976.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-03-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I bought knee pads from Lowes."

That was a good purchase. Take care of the knees.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
"I bought knee pads from Lowes."

That was a good purchase. Take care of the knees.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Non-Mar...e-Pads/3461642

Another thing I thought of is that my skin is now thinner & easily ripped open. So, when I'm workin under the car, I wear a denim jacket. Has prevented lots of "battle scars".

Since my Dad had a Borden milk business, all my life, I now have lots of milk crates, both plastic & the solid ones. I use 'em for storing almost everything that will fit in 'em. I especially like to use the solid ones to stand on, while workin under the hood. I can leave the car on stands, and still work under the hood, by standing on a milk crate. Also great to sit on while workin in a wheel well area. Of course, I used milk crates back in the old days too. They're just so handy, for so many purposes. Hey, I love milk crates !

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-03-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

In my late 30s, I had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. I've found, as you have, that making life a little easier is a damn good idea. My suggestion is a two wheel harbor freight dolly, and go get the wheels that dont require air. The pneumatic ones are always flat.

Use it very often, whether it is a full garbage can out to the road, or an automatic transmission, set of tires, cylinder heads, blocks, etc. I modified mine with a 16" square board bolted to the bottom for hauling wheels and stuff, and two little fenders welded on so you can put an automatic transmission on it without it interfering with the wheels. As a swap meet vendor occasionally, it has made the difference on more than one sale, if they can borrow it to haul the stuff to their car. I have them leave their wallet or drivers license. A trust thing, you know.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't have to be old to use these things. Just smart. Being in the construction business, we promote the use of helping tools and anything that will reduce the wear and tear of your body. Even to our youngest people. In fact, especially to the younger guys.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Another thing I thought of is that my skin is now thinner & easily ripped open. So, when I'm workin under the car, I wear a denim jacket. Has prevented lots of "battle scars".
I have the same problem - a pair of gloves is a good idea as well. I also got a two wheel dolly to use for moving stuff around the garage.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=ponyakr;6087337]"...Let's see your ideas!"

I'm older than the ages mentioned. Don't have a lift or the finances to get one. So, I still have to do it on a creeper. The hardest part of that is getting on the creeper & getting off the creeper.

Had a guy give me one of those "Bone" creepers. I couldn't get out of the darn thing and remember laying there thinking this is what a Turtle feels like when it flips over.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
... this is what a Turtle feels like when it flips over.
LOL

I used to laugh at "I've fallen and I can't get up".

I get it now.

After cataract surgery, this:

Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The hand-held bandsaw has saved me untold hours of hacksawing for the last 25 years or so.
The LED "headlamps" seemed silly to me- until I tried one a couple years ago. I now find myself using it very often- under cars, up in dark corners, etc., even underhood work.
For us aging retirees, it's a matter of cooperation- "If you come over after coffee and help me move a shortblock, I'll follow you home to give a hand with putting that differential back in".

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 12-04-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Headlamps are the ****, must have item for working, camping, black outs, being old

By the way, just this week I took my lift table, cut off the fixed wheels and welded on two swivels ... so now it has four swivel casters, made it way more useful ... I got sick and tired of having a 200 lb item on it and having to maneuver it around my small shop like an Buick Electra in a drive-thru.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought of a few more tools I like.

I use a small piece of plywood, laying on a small harbor freight dolly, as a roll around tool cart. Makes it real convenient for holding tools & small parts you might need while doing under car work. Also put a larger piece of plywood on an old creeper, to use as a roll-around tool & parts dolly. These, along with my Harbor freight creeper are shown in the 1st pic below.

Copying what I saw on another forum, I made a couple of wooden stands, to go under the front tires. These are a lot easier for me to use than regular jack stands.

One of the best tools I've bought is a water hose reel. It's great for holding my 100ft extension cord. Totally eliminates tangles. Rolls & unrolls quickly.

The next tool would work for any age guy. My header bolt wrench was not long enuff to allow me to reach one bolt. So, I used 2 hose clamps to clamp a long bolt to the wrench, to give it more reach. Worked great.

I also bought a small, very portable, stick welder. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Creepers.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	525984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Stand .jpg
Views:	206
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	525985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose reel.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	525986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamped Bolt Extension .jpg
Views:	197
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	525987   Click image for larger version

Name:	welder.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	525988  

The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No matter what age you are, those tools mention area smart buy. I'm getting closer to 70 by the day and always buying the necessary stuff to keep me in one piece, cut free, warm, and comfortable while working.

And as Shiny states... cataract surgery. Well, it will hit most of us someday. I had both done last summer. Our eyes are the best tool God gave us. Protect them at all costs! They are not replaceable.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

After my cancer treatments I thought the thin skin and fatigue were because of the chemo but my doctor said "well you are getting older, you know". I guess I'm in the same boat with the rest of you,
When I first got back out in the garage the first things I bought were a stool for by the workbench and a small, adjustable height, stool on rollers. that little stool was the best $24.99 (Harbor freight) I ever spent.
I will be checking out the lift table. Sounds like something I will use. Already have a hand cart with enlarged slip on platform. And, the knee pads are always within reach.
By the way, turning 71 in March and not willing to throw in the towel just yet.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink The ultimate old man creeper...

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060

Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 PM

The best tools I have gotten are metrinch tools so I am not wasting time looking for standard or metric. Like others have mentioned it is a pain crawling under car and then having to get back out because you dont have the correct socket. Also a cordless ratchet is a time saver as well especially for those long bolts that a take five minutes to get out. In fact cordless tools are great, I have a light, large impact, small impact, dremel tool, grinder, orbital sander and a sawzall .