THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The Kobalt stuff certainly looks the part, nice finish on them. I haven't had the opportunity to buy any yet.
The performance is better than the look. Use a Craftsman ratchet first and then try a Kobalt.

My Craftsman replacement ratchets were half the ratchet of my old units. Very sloppy action and had to replace the replacements. Bought my first Kobalt socket set and was amazed at the difference.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.autozone.com/featured-in...-piece/52378_0

I carry this one in the car/truck. Nice tools that stay put, case clam shells open.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-...xoCStEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The performance is better than the look. Use a Craftsman ratchet first and then try a Kobalt.

My Craftsman replacement ratchets were half the ratchet of my old units. Very sloppy action and had to replace the replacements. Bought my first Kobalt socket set and was amazed at the difference.

Check out how thick the ratchets are as well. The new 3/8 craftsman is as thick as my 1/2" snapon. Would probably make a better club or hammer.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Your situation sounds like the one I "had" with my son. He isn't really interested in mechanics but has always had my tools to use while living at home. He has grown wings and left the nest so to speak and I feel needs some basic tools of his own. I found a nice set of Kobalt tools at Lowe's. Struggled a bit with going with the Kobalt over the Craftsman stuff, but opted to save a few bucks and got the Kobalt. Figured I would see how much use he gets out of this first round and if need be I can always upgrade. Not to mention, someday all the stuff in my tool box will be his anyway.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dve1968 View Post
I found a nice set of Kobalt tools at Lowe's. Struggled a bit with going with the Kobalt over the Craftsman stuff, but opted to save a few bucks and got the Kobalt.
I don't understand why you struggled going with the Kobalt tools over the Craftsman. The Kobalt line is much better than the Craftsman and if they were less money then the Craftsman that just makes them a much better deal.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:24 PM

The Champ, I appreciate your strong feelings about Kobalt. I have used both brands and actually have found both to be satisfactory. I don't know if your post was a question or a statement, but either way I personally have found Craftsman to perform better. I can't speak for everyone, this is merely my opinion. Trust this helps the "understanding" dilemma you were having.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 PM

So we went with the kobalt set, and also got him a cordless drill and box of bits assorted sizes. Hopefully he will use them.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MaryAnn - glad your dilemma has been solved.

And while a young man receiving a present might not understand; should he really get into cars and desire additional tools, some "guidance" from someone with more experience might lead him to some used tools in the 50 year old range or so.

The only "new" tools I have bought (other than machine tools - lathes, mills, etc.) in the last 20 years have been cordless. Even old screwdrivers can be refurbished, and have much better metal than the brand new stuff. The only problem with this approach is that sometimes one, by necessity, has a mismatched set.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.