Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Nasty Oil Leak Under/Behind Turbo

Hope its okay to put this in the Boosted section- The stock 1981 301 Turbo car I purchased had a large amount of oil sludge on on top of the valley pan and around the distributer base. The turbo has been rebuilt and the end-play checked out at .003 and the impeller was not oil stained.

I see the drain pipe that goes back to the valley pan had red silicone used to seal the drain pipe flange back to the turbo housing and maybe it should have a specific gasket, but I wouldn't think oil would work its way out the flange when it would more easily drop out the drain tube.

I replaced the intake, valley pan, valve cover (1/4 thick), and turbo gaskets, but haven't unbolted the drain tube as all I could do is add more silicone and would think the oil would rather drop out the drain tube than work its way out of the drain tube flange. I think I'll reseal that anyway.

Any suggestions on where this large amount of caked-on oil sludge came from? Hope this is the right forum, though the 301's don't have a great reputation due to the siamese ports.