Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone use this setup for the street? Is it more hurt than help? I read that it is good for race use only with open headers but not for mufflered car, esp at idle or low RPM.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=Pontiac%20GTO

[This message was edited by IronInjun68 on March 29, 2003 at 11:41 AM.]

Old 03-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone use this setup for the street? Is it more hurt than help? I read that it is good for race use only with open headers but not for mufflered car, esp at idle or low RPM.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=Pontiac%20GTO

[This message was edited by IronInjun68 on March 29, 2003 at 11:41 AM.]

Old 03-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have personally test how good it works on the dyno with to different engines both were sbc. The first thing it does is give the crankcase pressure some where to go the next thing it does it create a vacuum to pull out the pressure and help keep the oil in the engine from blowing out past the gaskets. I know that they say that it is worth 15hp but I would have to disagree. On both engines we made a pull with and one with out the evac. system hooked up and with it hooked up it did make more hp but it was only 1 more hp. But for 18 dollars what do you expect, I know that it is more expensive than that in summit or jegs but if you go to napa and look though their book its only 18 dollars. Well I hope this answers your question.

Chad Dammen

ND's fastest Pontiac (I think) and Minot's fastest street car (not like that means much)

Old 03-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Lerry: The Body Ventura..

I had just installed one myself but have not yet got motor fired. I can't see really how they can do much more than just running breather caps on both valve covers and a pcv system. The pressure will bleed off out the breather caps what the pvc system doesn't suck out? But they must do something or I wouldn't think they would be selling..

Old 03-29-2003, 10:48 AM
On Vacation

Funny you should ask:

All quotes taken from Drag Racing Action Magazine, May 2003 edition.....

"In order to create a vacuum, or negative pressure inside the crankcase, whatever source is used to perform that job has to be of adequate capacity to do it. For instance, in order to have, let's say, 10 inches of vacuum in a crankcase, you'd need a pump that will produce more than just 10 inches of vacuum."

"You can't expect the negative pressure created by exhaust gasses flowing past a tube to pull anywhere near what the vacuum pump does."

They sell because racers don't want to spend money. Mystery solved.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Old 03-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Lerry: The Body Ventura..

Lower pressure is fine but negative pressure in a wet sump system isn't the way to go. David Reher of Reher and Morrison Racing Engines will tell you that some pressure in the pan is wanted to prime and pressurize the oil up into the pump pickup.

Old 03-29-2003, 12:33 PM
On Vacation

That's why a pump builds vacuum with rpm. It's not an on/off thing.

Can't argue with dyno results.

Chance favors the prepared mind.