Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking in the rule book and it states that the competition numbers must be 6 inches high and in a prominant location where they can be easily seen from the tower. Aren't they required to be in two locations? I was thinking on the drivers window and the top of the windshield on the right side. Where do most people put them?

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3600lb. all steel, full interior, D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 11.01@120

Old 03-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking in the rule book and it states that the competition numbers must be 6 inches high and in a prominant location where they can be easily seen from the tower. Aren't they required to be in two locations? I was thinking on the drivers window and the top of the windshield on the right side. Where do most people put them?

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3600lb. all steel, full interior, D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 11.01@120

Old 03-28-2003, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good question. The rule of thumb is, whichever side of the track the tower is on you will definetly need a number and dialin. Plus numbers on right front of windshield. If you travel to a lot of different strips you will find all 4 sides of car will save the shoe polish or Geddex Dial-in. Now as for size. Yes the rulebook says 6" tall. For bracket racing I run 5" letters at all 4 corners and havn't been busted,even at the ET finals. Now, if you're running National Opens, Div. Points meet, or on the National circut, 6" min. will be required. I use Microsoft Picture-it to get the templates for numbers, and tape them to hobby shop vinyl for RC airplanes, and using an old Nat. Dragster to cut them out on. A hobby knife and Stainless hobby sissors to cut them out. Use the hobby knife for hard to get to corners and inside cutouts such as #6 where you will need to cut the circle out, the rest can be cut with the sissors. I was quoted 50.00 for store bought letters 6" tall, and the hobby shop method was 4.00 for the 5",because that is all the wider the hobby vinyl is. You can cut the 6" #'s length wise but I found there was to much wasted vinyl. Use a mild dish liquid and water mixture to apply to car. Tip; use the hobby knife that tightens from the non-blade end, the ones that tighten on the blade end "WILL" come loose after a few cuts.

BIGGERISBETTER-15 yrs in NHRA tech ret.