Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Have any of you'll ever used the program here at http://www.prestage.com/ to get your estimated shift points? I used the information from my chassis dyno and it is saying I am shifting to early. It kind of makes sence though, if I shift at 56-5800rpm my car runs slower than shifting at 6000rpm; but it is saying I should be shifting first to second at 6600, and second to third at 6400rpm. I have never even taken the car up that high but on an accident. I might try it next time I go to the track but I just wanted some real time experience by anybody on here. Any real time experience with this?

Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Have any of you'll ever used the program here at http://www.prestage.com/ to get your estimated shift points? I used the information from my chassis dyno and it is saying I am shifting to early. It kind of makes sence though, if I shift at 56-5800rpm my car runs slower than shifting at 6000rpm; but it is saying I should be shifting first to second at 6600, and second to third at 6400rpm. I have never even taken the car up that high but on an accident. I might try it next time I go to the track but I just wanted some real time experience by anybody on here. Any real time experience with this?

Old 03-26-2003, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Most Programs are based on Lower torque output, higher RPM motors than our Pontiacs.
The only real way to know is up the shift points 200 at a time, till it slows, then back it down.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Slow77 TA,

I don't think you can use those numbers,unless you have other input like,rear-gears,trans,cams,
carb,convertor(stall) all effect shift points..I
hope the main objective is still to go fast ???no-matter where you shift? Here is something to think about..My race car was running dead-on the dial and in the 4th round I broke out and lost???
The car picked up all of a sudden..So I sat in my car and recorded my play-back info..There it was,
I short shifted first gear 4,900 instead of 5,300
the car picked up 2hundreds in 60' and 4 in the
quarter mile?? Just something to think about....
Dave ...1033/stock

Old 03-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

I did wonder about the rear gearing, and overall engine combo, that is why I asked. When I go to the track next I am going to do some tests on shift points and I will post them up just for fun to see if it is close or not.

I have had one confirmed person tell me it was right on for him, and if he shifted before the suggested rpm he slowed down, but it is a S/C Mustang, not a pontiac N/A.