Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Battery drain

Hi guys in my 70 gto the batt goes dead in hrs load tested batt. Ok removed all fuses still shows drain using test light in series with batt also disc alt and voltage reg still shows draw I'm at a loss any ideas? Thanks

Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

Did you disconnect the neg cable from the post and then put the test light on the post and the other end on the cable? Just trying to clarify before proceeding.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM

That's exactly how I did it

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Senior Chief

Next I would recommend using a amp meter the same way to get and idea on the amp draw. This should help narrow it down some.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM

What I have is a clamp meter what else could cause a drain without any fuses or alt and volt reg disc? Starter?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

Somewhere there is a circuit that is staying closed even with the ignition off. If you can get a read on the amperage draw maybe you can eliminate certain circuits. Since it goes dead in hrs., sounds like a huge draw. Possibly at the starter.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have any add on electrical components? Radio-alarm-etc? Is there anything that isn't working? Horn- dome? Is there a big spark when you reconnect the battery cable? If there is not a big spark at the battery when reconnecting, I suspect a battery even though you had it load tested and maybe a small amp draw. I highly doubt it is the starter. I suspect something in the lighting circuit. Dome-glovebox-trunklite. With the battery disconnected and a test lite connected inbetween and the lite is on, try touching a jumper wire from the battery to the cable (Test lite still connected). You may see or hear something while repeatedly touching the jumper wire. If the lite goes out and stays out after touching the jumper and then disconnecting it you have something loading up like a clock or a condenser and it is not a true short, but normal.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not much left to draw but the starter solenoid. Are there any aftermarket devices on the car? Need to connect a digital amp meter and see how many amps it is drawing.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Suspended

If it's just a small amount I would look at the glove box light staying on or the trunk light staying on to. You can't see them when the door or the trunk lid is down but that has always been a spot that would give problems on all kinds of cars even today.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Does the battery cable get hot? , If so, your positive cable could be touching the block at the starter and the paint may be acting like a weak insulator. I know sometimes it difficult to get that group of wires sitting problem free. Killing a good battery in a couple hours is possibly a fire waiting to happen.

John

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Just chased this problem down on my 70 GTO. Turned out I had tapped into the unused glove box light positive wire for my stereo constant wire. I just undid that connection. I have yet to decide on a resolution as now my stereo keeps no memory because of this. Factory stereo did not need a constant 12v supply because there was no clock in it.

This might not help you any but, sometimes it's nice to know your not the only one out there chasing electrical issues. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
Just chased this problem down on my 70 GTO. Turned out I had tapped into the unused glove box light positive wire for my stereo constant wire. I just undid that connection. I have yet to decide on a resolution as now my stereo keeps no memory because of this. Factory stereo did not need a constant 12v supply because there was no clock in it.

This might not help you any but, sometimes it's nice to know your not the only one out there chasing electrical issues. Good luck.
No car stereo keep alive power should draw a fully charged battery down in maybe a month. Hopefully you figured out the draw.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
No car stereo keep alive power should draw a fully charged battery down in maybe a month. Hopefully you figured out the draw.
Well, it did. Thats the only thing I disconnected and I no longer have that draw. But, I too did not believe it was possible. I might hook it back up and see though since I bought a new battery last night.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
Well, it did. Thats the only thing I disconnected and I no longer have that draw. But, I too did not believe it was possible. I might hook it back up and see though since I bought a new battery last night.
Bully goat said his was being drawn down in hrs. Which I also do not believe a stereo will do. How long did it take yours to die? Did you have your old battery tested?
My guess it had more to do with the battery than the draw.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Bully goat said his was being drawn down in hrs. Which I also do not believe a stereo will do. How long did it take yours to die? Did you have your old battery tested?
My guess it had more to do with the battery than the draw.
This makes the 3rd battery now in less than a year. I got rid of the draw. Now I got another battery. We will see what happens.
It started out the battery was dead after about 2 weeks. Then got to where it was a few days then to 24 hours. That would be a crap battery (2 times which is possible)

Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Well hooked up amp meter found 6 amps with no fuses installed disc alt drain went to .5 amp hooked alt back up and disc volt reg found same result so the prob is either reg or alt the test light was too vague the amp clamp ( fluke 377) def did the job so I have a new alt on the way Friday will hook it up and post result on here thanks guys

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Suspended

If the diaod trio is bad/shorted it will eat ab battery up in short time. I think with the atl. change you will have it fixed.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Turns out it was the advanced auto alternator replaced with an ac delco unit now amp draw shows .6 amps batt has been at 12.7 all day thanks guys!