Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Progression Ignition

This company has a video on YouTube that features their new ignition distributor installed on a first gen firebird. Unique features with this new product. Learn more from their website Progression Ignition.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm, cooler than I expected! Smart phone interface is very interesting, especially the ability to use your phone as a "kill switch".

Long-term reliability will be interesting to see, though.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 08-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Hopefully the company will make this a quality product. So many things that used to be regarded as such has been dimished recently.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is really intriguing. I would like to see one installed by an actual member. If its a quality distributor its a lot of bang for the buck. Eliminate a programable box, something with a rev limiter, and from wiring up a dead man switch.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Yes, that is a really interesting version of an MSD E Core, isn't it.

And, for the price, it should also teach itself what each individual engine wants for a curve.

When it deficates itself, it should also know how to wipe itself clean, too.

Frankly, not a lot of persons are going to be able to tune one of these things, even the so-claimed by them inferior E Core isn't that easy to work with. When these people get this thing to learn all by itself, and can deliver it for less than $200.00, I'll be both more impressed, and more interested than I ever will be at this juncture.

Nice idea, nice looking, but, lots to be done to make it a lot more user friendly, it appears .Lets see a lot of you buy into this, and give us the real world reports on just how easy it is to work with, problems, issues, and the rest of us can go from there with them.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about the ignition but I want to know more about his dual gate shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t70QpCBjDwU

OK the ignition is pretty cool to.

Last edited by rohrt; 10-11-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched some of the video and it looks interesting and pricey. It would be nice to actually have some data and specifics about items like output amperage, voltage, spark duration and so forth. Would people really plop down nearly $600.00 for a distributor and have virtually no information about these things?

Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty cool, but would hate for it to have a software meltdown at 2am on a lonely country road.

I'm a bit confused about idle RPM being controlled with the timing ... shouldn't timing be set properly then idle adjusted at the carb?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

I'm a bit confused about idle RPM being controlled with the timing ... shouldn't timing be set properly then idle adjusted at the carb?[/QUOTE]

I have a programmable crank sensor ignition. You can effectively make the idle more stable by advancing the timing as rpm drop lower which counters the load of ac or being put in gear. It will settle into a happy spot. When you unload engine in park or ac kicks off rpm won't run away because timing is taken away as rpm increase. This is all within a 200 rpm window. This it the opposite of what manifold vacuum and vacuum advance can deliver.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they are showing how idle timing compensates idle speed for loads at idle. Like being in drive, or maybe the A/C compressor kicking in,. By bumping the timing a bit, then can bring the idle speed back up. Thinking thats the reason the idle RPM's are entered in the app. Kind of a cool idea. I would think you still set the idle and base timing the same way you would otherswise.? this is just my guess of course after watching the video.

Would allow for a lower baseline idle similar to a manual shift car. Pretty much what is mentioned above

I would imagine that feature has an RPM cutoff to work correctly? hits 1000 or more and assumes your stepping on the throttle?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 03-23-2020, 02:42 AM

From this link you will get some help
https://progressionignition.com/shop?olsPage=products

Old 07-02-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred0809 View Post
From this link you will get some help
https://progressionignition.com/shop?olsPage=products
no reply.?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to hear a report by someone that has one also.

It would be cool to see more Blue Tooth enable stuff for old cars .... gauges would be great, no wires, software calibration for accuracy. Perhaps a module, not a whole distributor. Blue tooth choke control. Heck, with enough relays you could do away with just about every wire between the dashboard and the engine compartment.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

I bought one for my 63 Lemans. Got it installed and running today but haven't had the time to play with it. Seems to be very easy to make adjustments.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:14 AM

Hi Folks,

I just came across this post. For some reason, I hadn't thought of posting about my experience here, posting in the Street section instead. So I'd thought I'd share the link to my review here too.

Anyway, long story short, I found myself in need of a new distributor and took the plunge, documenting the experience along the way. Instead of a long post and many pictures, I wrote it up as a PDF document. It's available from my family web site.

Here's the link: Progression Ignition PDF

I hope people find it helpful. Stay Safe.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLusza View Post
Hi Folks,

I just came across this post. For some reason, I hadn't thought of posting about my experience here, posting in the Street section instead. So I'd thought I'd share the link to my review here too.

Anyway, long story short, I found myself in need of a new distributor and took the plunge, documenting the experience along the way. Instead of a long post and many pictures, I wrote it up as a PDF document. It's available from my family web site.

Here's the link: Progression Ignition PDF

I hope people find it helpful. Stay Safe.
Excellent write up. How long have you been up and running with it?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 AM
Senior Chief

I'd be more concerned about that bluetooth connection two, three years down the line.
I have enough issues connecting my phone to my car through bluetooth.. for example after it has received some form of update (either the software in the car or the software on the phone)..

Old 07-25-2020, 11:16 AM

rohrt: I've only had the thing running for a few weeks but am very happy with its performance so far. I got it mainly so I could easily adjust the timing to avoid spark knock , etc. The engine is a stock .030 rebuild on the standard 400, but with the 068 cam. The heads are setup for unleaded use.
I'm happy to use 94 octane fuel but am trying to find a way to avoid using octane booster if possible. Going forward, I'll check back in here with any news, good or bad.

Charlie: Good point. That's a legitimate concern. However, I'm still willing to take a chance because, compared to the sounds systems in our cars and smart phones we use every day, the distributor's Bluetooth connection requirements are not that complex or demanding.

Unlike the sound system type of use you mentioned, Bluetooth connectivity is not required for the distributor to function. It's more simple, being one-way communication along the line of ear buds or little portable Jam speakers, etc. Once the file is uploaded, that's it. The actual ignition functions are akin to that of the Pertronix or other distributor conversions out there. Anyway, time will tell. Good point though.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:08 PM

I am taking the plunge and ordered one. I was concerned about long term durability and the actual fitment but decided that with the 30 day shipping only returns, I would take the chance. It was either that or try new heads, EFI, or some other more expensive option. My Pontiac 400 has stock #15 heads with 10.5 compression and need to run pump fuel, and lots of it due to living up in the mountains and driving lots of highway miles. She loves driving at 4-5000 feet but can't get her properly tuned down in the valley.
I have downloaded the app to my tablet and have already set up some profiles to try for different types of driving. I'll try to get some before and after info for general performance and mileage. Will let you all know how it works out!

Old 08-24-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy2001 View Post
I am taking the plunge and ordered one. I was concerned about long term durability and the actual fitment but decided that with the 30 day shipping only returns, I would take the chance. It was either that or try new heads, EFI, or some other more expensive option. My Pontiac 400 has stock #15 heads with 10.5 compression and need to run pump fuel, and lots of it due to living up in the mountains and driving lots of highway miles. She loves driving at 4-5000 feet but can't get her properly tuned down in the valley.
I have downloaded the app to my tablet and have already set up some profiles to try for different types of driving. I'll try to get some before and after info for general performance and mileage. Will let you all know how it works out!
Good luck with your installation. Now I don't feel so lonely I wish I had more to contribute, but have been dealing with engine front end issues.

I heard a clunking noise as I was adjusting the rebuilt carb I installed and found an oil leak from the front seal. removing the balancer, I found that the balancer was cracked across the key way and it was that which took out the front seal. Then, as I was looking at that, I noticed water stains from the weep hole on the water pump. removing all that revealed many botched helicoil repairs to the timing cover. Crap

So, in for a penny, in for a pound. I replaced the timing chain and sprockets, timing cover, balancer, and included a cast iron FlowKooler pump and stainless separator plate, which I clearanced before installation.

As I put the coolant back in about an hour ago, it started leaking from around the petcock (I had replaced the trashed original while the rad was out of the car). I'm on my 2nd beer and will deal with it tomorrow . Anyway, when I can run the silly thing more, I'll have more to report about the distributor