Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
hmmmmm....... so.......does anyone have a CNC program for the Super Chief heads? Oh, I don't know....kinda like to hear more about that than all the childish drama!!
A member here pm'd me and said bes has a cnc program them. I'll try to reach out to them at some point and learn more about it.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
A member here pm'd me and said bes has a cnc program them. I'll try to reach out to them at some point and learn more about it.
That is surprising....that head had such a limited use... sorry I spoke so soon... it was an assumption on my end..

Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be surprised if tony has a program. Usually on max effort heads, he does 4 ports and copies them and runs the program in the other 12. The problem we had with the wenzler junk back in the day was the core shift in the castings were all over the place.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
I would be surprised if tony has a program. Usually on max effort heads, he does 4 ports and copies them and runs the program in the other 12. The problem we had with the wenzler junk back in the day was the core shift in the castings were all over the place.
Heads with core shift would require hand porting wouldnt it....no 2 ports being the same.... hard to cnc that I would assume..

Old 01-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
I will say this. In your rants with me you attacked me personally. Said you would send me posters of yourself to put on my walls. Took insult to my screen name. Called me a hick. Hell I cant even think of it all right now.
Hah! That's nothing I was called a Buick guy ��

Old 01-12-2020, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Heads with core shift would require hand porting wouldnt it....no 2 ports being the same.... hard to cnc that I would assume..
Correct

Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Correct
What do you know.... your a buick guy!

Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What do you know.... your a buick guy!
Nothing....someone (in the know) told me that and I was forwarding the information.

BUICK'sTTF!!!

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Nothing....someone (in the know) told me that and I was forwarding the information.

BUICK'sTTF!!!
What an ass.... I mean, you are the builder for one of the fastest Buicks in the country....
That must mean you hate Pontiac's.... how could you build a pontiac....

Old 01-12-2020, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What an ass.... I mean, you are the builder for one of the fastest Buicks in the country....
That must mean you hate Pontiac's...how could you build a pontiac....
It's THE fastest Buick on the Planet...just saying

But I only did the heads and intake manifold.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:07 AM
Suspended

Quote:
It's THE fastest Buick on the Planet...just saying

But I only did the heads and intake manifold.
Indication moron....

Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Joe Dirt,

Mods paying attention to what? What rule have I broken? You call me a creep because I point out that you have no privacy? Did I say anything derogatory about you or Connie?
I agree, it is chronological..... you jumped I'n my ass because I am a fan of other engine families.... what was it you said..oh yeah. " do you even like Pontiac?".
Be careful how you tread.... I will be glad to post all of your PUBLIC info....
Well within the rules...
"Dirt", I am a Indian, a real one. I have worn my hair pretty long in the past. 2 generations ago my mothers family was just about 100% and lived the life. Grandmother was a medicine woman, basket maker who now has museum exhibits.
Are you threatening me with posting info "well within the rules" ? Who around here does that ? Yes, its creepy and morally wrong.
Now, are you so butt hurt over me asking if you like Pontiacs ? Did not know you took it so hard. Was it that big a deal to you ?

Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I said they had core shift. They look like they were cast in someones garage.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
Dragncar I will say this. In your rants with me you attacked me personally. Said you would send me posters of yourself to put on my walls. Took insult to my screen name. Called me a hick. Hell I cant even think of it all right now. Practice what you preach hero. Your wife is pretty hot btw.
I thought we buried the hatchet, ummm Tomahawk ? Wife.. thanks. Our last anniversary she bought me a very nice SFI racing jacket. Hard to beat that for a supportive racing wife.

About all the cr@p. See, I love Pontiac,s and only Pontiac,s. I have taken a great deal of interest in max Pontiac power since high school. What is max pump gas power, max race gas power and on. So I went about finding exactly what was the deal. Befriended Dan Whittmore and learned a ton. Back then max pump gas power was 550HP. Max race gas power was 650-700 HP but Chevies could get 850 HP.
Dan knew "everyone". Pontiac engineers, Smokey U, Fulper, Maxey and was best buddies with Jim Butler. So I got a lot of insight on all the players from that era. Jim B used to talk to me for a couple of hours just because of his friendship with Dan. I learned a lot, so I have opinions like everyone else.
And that is what this place is supposed to be about, opinions, learning and helping each other with a common interest, Pontiacs.
Some around here, big players treat me and the rest with respect and don,t come at me with the idea that just because I have not actually made 1200NA HP I have no place even having a idea or opinion on the subject. Langer is great about that, Boss Bird guys and others too. Mike thought enough to reach out to me and introduce me to Scott Brown and not sit back and talk down to me. Its one of the reasons I thought so much of him.
And there are others, the 'check writers" who have made big big power but could not do it themselves to save their life. They just have money and do not think twice about belittling someone when they barely understand how a engine and trans really work. And I do not think you are one of those guys. You are a tech and know what you are doing.
I have a GREAT deal of interest in max power Pontiac,s. Have put a lot of thought into it and yes, talked to a lot of very smart people on the subject. A super smart person confident enough to share hard won info is worth their weight in gold to me.
The 461 going together right now should have been done before 2010, the build started in the early 2000s. The local economy took a big hit around 2006 and so did that build. But I still have raced the old engine the whole time because that is what I do. It should be one of the best, most powerful 461 pump gas Pontiac's done.
So, I race, build engines and have opinions and ask for others opinions. Its what this place is all about. Just don;t be one of those guys who tries to squash opinions that are just as valid as anyone else.
Me and you are all good, no problems here. And I took note of what you said, hear your point. No need for that stuff.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checkwriterttfmf!!

Old 01-13-2020, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know us computer racers talk to each other. But I will not post on what I heard through the grape vine.

Here are a few quotes from some web site

Quote:
About the only thing limiting the effectiveness of the CNC porting is core shift of the cylinder head, as the program must orient itself on a known position on the head. Core shift can change the position of the port walls ever so slightly, but what ultimately happens is that the precision porting offered by the CNC program is applied to a not-so-precise wall location. This situation is unusual and can be handled with the proper setup procedure,
Quote:
CNC porting allows for precise profiling unachievable through hand porting and makes compensations necessary to account for core shift
Quote:
After glass beading and cleaning ports and combustion chambers we take measurements to determine the effects of foundry core shift. We then select the best program and CNC shape each port. The use of CNC equipment assures that we get we our best shape every time
Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-13-2020, 02:14 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Way back in post#40 Mike G gave a phone#. Anybody tried it?

Old 01-13-2020, 05:07 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Way back in post#40 Mike G gave a phone#. Anybody tried it?
A cnc program is an absolute... you mount the head in the machine and it hogs out what it was told...
If the head being CNC'ed has core shift vs the head used to map the program, how can that be adjusted ? Unless you have cray vision and can see the core shift prior to milling? How can you adjust for that.... again, all of those axis are absolutes.
And please post your supere secret info shared amongst your nerd friends...

Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe I'm wrong but if the as cast port size is small (which the sc intake ports are somewhat small) and the cnc program has decent size to it then core shift shouldn't matter, should it? I guess there is a possibility that you break through into water but the sc head is a pretty meaty head and i see that as unlikely. But if it did weld it up and go racing.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
A cnc program is an absolute... you mount the head in the machine and it hogs out what it was told...
If the head being CNC'ed has core shift vs the head used to map the program, how can that be adjusted ? Unless you have cray vision and can see the core shift prior to milling? How can you adjust for that.... again, all of those axis are absolutes.
And please post your supere secret info shared amongst your nerd friends...
Scott,
Maybe if I make it bigger you can read it, Or is it that you just know it all.

Quote:
After glass beading and cleaning ports and combustion chambers we take measurements to determine the effects of foundry core shift. We then select the best program and CNC shape each port. The use of CNC equipment assures that we get we our best shape every time
Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm