Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine limiters

I'm thinking about switching to a front plate and mid plate set up. Im looking at differant style limiters and how they are installed. I was thinking of making a plate to bolt in place of engine mount or just use one of the holes? Does it matter if they go frontward or rearward. And longer dowel pins are required i take it? Pics are welcome , thanks

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

I just installed Innovative Racecraft engine limiters in my car today. They are real nice. They came with plates that mount to a Chevy block, easily modified to work on a Pontiac block.

I mounted mine from the block, forward to the frame.

Longer dowels should be used and are cheap.

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 01-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Senior Chief

Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_163017.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	528915  

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mean Green, that looks pretty darn good & effective for Street/Strip.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
I'm thinking about switching to a front plate and mid plate set up. Im looking at differant style limiters and how they are installed. I was thinking of making a plate to bolt in place of engine mount or just use one of the holes? Does it matter if they go frontward or rearward. And longer dowel pins are required i take it? Pics are welcome , thanks
AP front plate, Alston mid plate and poly trans mount.
Use the motor mount bolt hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9BE5DE36-AA55-47CD-B66E-DC030BA6AA9D.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	528926  

Old 01-17-2020, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Bill,
Here is a picture of my limiter. You can see that a mount was fabricated to fit the block engine mounts. Hope this helps.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.23 Engine limiter (1 small).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	528979  

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 01-18-2020, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the point of these engine limiters if you have a front plate, mid plate AND a trans mount?

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Best ET: 7.776 @ 175.94, 1.096 60', 2375 lbs.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmnstr View Post
What is the point of these engine limiters if you have a front plate, mid plate AND a trans mount?
Grnmnstr, I agree not needed if your set up like that.

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 01-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
The way it looks in the picture the motor mount limiters would only be effective in limiting FWD/AFT movement... Yes the plates do that to some degree however depending on how much power your putting down, I can see those giving some degree of FWD flex under load... those center limiter bars would literally prevent that IF that was a concern.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 01-19-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the plates, it's almost imperative that a forward limiter is employed.
The front and mid-plates only work for up/down. Forward/reverse is not its job.
I think it's a NHRA rule to have a tranny FWD/REV bars to keep it from moving when using front/rear plates?
(or basically engine bars)

Also, ideally if using both front and midplate, you should not be using a solid tranny mount.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front and mid plates, I feel, prevent engine/trans from moving up/down and side to side, but NOT front to back, as the span is so great between mounting points. So therefore a front to back "limiter" would be needed, which would be the trans mount. And I prefer a poly trans mount, than a solid because there is still some chassis flex that needs to be absorbed, or it will find the weakest point and crack it (usually a trans bell housing).
I think people put these engine limiters because they see other people doing it and figure, "if they are doing it, it must be doing something". Also realize that when you see an engine limiter on a car, they might not be running a trans mount. Yes, some people don't run a trans mount.
Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. If it makes you sleep better at night...............

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM

I agree that some movement is needed to allow for some chassis flex. Maybe even more movement than a poly mount would allow. That's why I'm going with just a rubber transmission mount. A lot of factors come in to play with everyone car being different.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:13 PM

I forgot to add that maybe even a slightly soft used rubber mount might be good.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Front and mid plates, I feel, prevent engine/trans from moving up/down and side to side, but NOT front to back, as the span is so great between mounting points. So therefore a front to back "limiter" would be needed, which would be the trans mount. And I prefer a poly trans mount, than a solid because there is still some chassis flex that needs to be absorbed, or it will find the weakest point and crack it (usually a trans bell housing).
I think people put these engine limiters because they see other people doing it and figure, "if they are doing it, it must be doing something". Also realize that when you see an engine limiter on a car, they might not be running a trans mount. Yes, some people don't run a trans mount.
Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. If it makes you sleep better at night...............

I too felt the same... but I did fabricate a small limiter just to make myself feel better... well after one season that "limiter" looked like a S... needless to say my new one was much heavier...

So yes it is something that is needed and in all reality it is easy to add...

Just my experience of course..

Chad

Old 01-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should add for clarity.... this was with a AP front plate and a 1/4" mid plate along with a energy suspension transmission mount...

Chad

Old 01-19-2020, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you're relying on the trans mount to hold it steady and it is a flexible how steady is it holding everything? I could see a solid mount holding it but obviously that would be a bell housing snapper.

I was always told with a front and mid plate that you should run limiters and then take the bolt out of the transmission mount. Just let the transmission rest on it to support the weight.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
If you're relying on the trans mount to hold it steady and it is a flexible how steady is it holding everything? I could see a solid mount holding it but obviously that would be a bell housing snapper.

I was always told with a front and mid plate that you should run limiters and then take the bolt out of the transmission mount. Just let the transmission rest on it to support the weight.
I'm relying on the trans mount to prevent the engine/trans combo from moving front to back. And with a front and midplate, I don't see the rear trans mount supporting any weight. Again, just preventing back and forth movement.

I've seen where 2 "limiters" are actually bolted to the rear trans mount and then to some point in the chassis.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My heap has elephant ears in the front and Mighty Mounts locating the engine and giving it front to back.
Thinking about adding a rear plate for the new engine. Who makes a good block/trans plate for our engines that I can use with stock frame ?

Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 PM
Suspended

You know what holds a funnycar engine in place? Basically hose clamps... alcohol and top fuel level..

Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

T-bar clamps

Did you use a fore/aft bars?
(had to have the blow back bars)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates