Performance Parts For Sale/Wanted Just Performance, non-stock, trailers, tools and related accessories here.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed shifter WTB

I have some time before I need to buy, but looking to see if anyone has a good deal on a complete Long brand shifter for a Dough Nash Street 5 speed.

Thanks!!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

I couldn't tell you how long it took me to find a Long shifter. Try racing junk?

Cut you a super deal on a Hurst if I didn't scrap it.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, checked epay, racing junk and craigslist a few times. I have about 1.5 years to find a good deal on one, figured I would start my search now. I was told not to purchase a hurst shifter for it but if cheap enough I could use it for mock up.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a hurst shifter on mine, never had an issue...

curious why did they say not to use a hurst shifter?

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Senior Chief

I don't know that there's anything wrong with the hurst shifter, from what I understand, the transmission itself can be a bear to shift, and the Long supposedly helps that more than the Hurst. Supposedly the Long is a bit different in design vs the Hurst. Also they say a lot about what Oil is used in the transmissions regarding shifting difficulties.

When it warms up out in the garage, I'll see if I still have my hurst unit. I'd let it go for a song if I still have it. The Longs seem to command the price. Some ask for cash for the Hursts, but I don't know that they're correct in doing that if not new.

The hurst came with my trans. Did the same thing; in the time before I got the trans in the car, when a Long showed up, I grabbed it right off the bat. Maybe all sales hype - if so, I got suckered too. My car currently has the motor and rear end out, so I couldn't do a comparo for ya.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 AM

G-force 5r is all most direct copy as my Doug Nash is. The g-force improves the design with a torque Arm and also a bracelet that holds the main shaft and counter gear together better. In no way I’m knocking my Doug Nash ran 9.0 and street driving car at least to car night at the Dairy Queen ...I was afraid to break it again so I bought the G-Force with its face plate design it shifted a lot easier too. Maybe easier to find one

Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Senior Chief

Its one of my dreams to drive a faceplate transmission. Way outta my price range tho.

Like everything I cant afford, Ill probably have to make one.

I saw liberty welds faceplates on. I have four crappy 5-speeds for my Datsun, so I wrote Liberty and asked if the face plates were hardened - no reply ofcourse.

Got me a tig and a mill. Anyone ever push a diamond in a face plate or notice tempering blue on them?

I remember Gforce had a deal on a whole face plated gear set for the gf5r for like $1700. That woulda hurt, but I shoulda sprung for it and tried to shove them in my nash.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:40 PM

That was my first idea that I had considered too..but Luckily I found a 5r on The gunk for 2500with the in line shifter I know I’m bragging but one will show up' eventually. Good luck I’ll send a link if I see one.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Free bump

Here's a pic of the long and the hurst
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	472388