Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Default Recommendations and/or opinions on dash gauges, please..................

I have decided to go to either a reproduction rally gauge set or a Dakota electronic analog set when I redo the dash in my 67 GTO. I had a near disaster when I had a short in the lighter circuit so I will be replacing the dash harness as well. The restoration was done very nicely a few years back and it has a stock appearance but it is far from 100% stock and I have made several non-stock changes like Vintage Air conversion, Custom Autosound radio, etc., plus the present gauge pod is not rally but in excellent shape with quartz movement installed in the clock. I am just having a heck of a time making up my mind and would appreciate some experienced input to help along the way. I'd love to hear your thoughts....................................... Thanks!!

Chemnick

Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dakota Digital RTX series....

Spoken to them a few times this year..... They expect to release the version for the GTO in the next month or so...

This is what I plan on doing...

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....d=706&mode=cat

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Suspended

I prefer the stock lights with a set of vintage Sun or Autometer gauges under the dash.. There's been a few times when I was over heating and didn't realize it until I heard noises with the gauge needle maxed out.. The same with oil pressure, that cheap Brad Penn oil was foaming on me in my 462 and I didn't realize it until I started hearing the rockers tapping.. I changed back to Mobil 1 5-30 and the needle quit fluctuating and that 462 ran as smooth as silk...

Last edited by 389; 04-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I prefer the stock lights with a set of vintage Sun or Autometer gauges under the dash.. There's been a few times when I was over heating and didn't realize it until I heard noises with the gauge needle maxed out.. The same with oil pressure, that cheap Brad Penn oil was foaming on me in my 462 and I didn't realize it until I started hearing the rockers tapping.. I changed back to Mobil 1 5-30 and the needle quit fluctuating and that 462 ran as smooth as silk...
And that's exactly how I prefer it. I'll either run the factory gauges in the car, and if not equipped, then I prefer the correct vintage gauges just as it would have been done on day 2 to fit the era of the car. There has been a huge movement for day 2 cars in the last few years and to some of us die hard vintage guys, nothing looks better than the classic gauges of the era.
No excuse not to use them now either, as they are all reproduced and many companies that refurbish the originals as well.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that RTX series looks amazing. Price is pretty steep, like over 2X the cost of rebuilding or repro of the factory cluster.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 11-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Senior Chief

I like the Dakota Digital, but I went with VHX-64P-GTO. Carbon fiber background ( appearance ) and red lit works for me.