67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Ol Pinion Head

So to be clear, you are stating that it is no more difficult to to obtain a 4 inch water pump than it is a 4 1/2 inch.

My car is not a high end restoration by any stretch so no issues there.

As far as fan position, the fan was between 1/3 to less than 1/2 into the shroud.
The fan is numbered 9796135P, and is a 7 blade unit. The fan may be one of the things that was correct.

I am on the fence of whether to swap the pulley to allow retaining the current pump.

Either way, I will be buying a pump or a pulley.

The best thing that happened throughout this whole situation was replacing the damper with a better piece. I was comparing a spare with the one that I just removed, and it looks like the outer hub was positioned a quarter inch inboard from pulley surface. It also had a wobble in it.

Thank you for you help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230813_100753.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	618116  

Old 08-16-2023, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

Default Solution and finish

I am going to install the Powerbond damper with the pulleys listed in the start of this thread.

I have ordered a conversion pulley from Butler that the were kind enough to provide measurement. I have to add that this company is extremely great at responding to questions. I wish them continued success.

As, I mentioned in previous post of my cognitive shortcomings, I discovered that the pulleys and balancer in use were not from the original 350, but from the 400 that was used from a 1968 GTO. The 400 was actually a 1973 engine.

So through the years of swapping out engines, I used the wrong balancer and pulley set. Probably because it was cleaner and easier to paint.

I noticed there was a difference with pulley position when looking at my pictures of the engine. It turned out that it was a combination of wrong pulley set , and the balancer hub shifting.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and answers. You all are pretty to be able to figure out sh1t without having to be at the location of the problem.

My next task is buying a windshield; mine is cracked. Again, this is going to be a chore as there are different choices to figure out what is correct.

Is the upper tint supposed to be blue? Tinted or non tinted glass. I was thinking same appearance as the rest of the windows.

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default post correction

I meant to write that you all are pretty smart to be able to figure out things from afar without being there in person, and using only information given to you.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

Default Final results with pictures included

I figured I would end this thread with the results.

I used the crank pulleys that were mentioned previously.
I used the water pump pulley ordered from Butlers to allow the use of the 4 1/2 snout water pump.

I removed all of the washers used for spacers from alternator and power steering brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230823_065052.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	618690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230823_065150.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	618691  

Old 09-07-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tidbit (perhaps useless), it seems from period MPC's that unlike all the other 69 Pontiac's the 69 birds with V8's did not switch to the 4.5" pump. They stayed with the short pump for the entire year, probably because of the above mentioned tightness to the rad on some models.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default Interesting

Thank you for the information.

I was more concerned with being able to replace the water pump if needed. I was getting the feeling that the 4 and 1/2 (long snout) pump was more common than the 4 inch snout pump.

As I mentioned in one of my posts, I was the cause for the misalignment of the pulleys. I chose to use the crank damper/balancer with the wrong (1971 and later) pulleys because the part was cleaner and ready to paint.

The damper that was extra was the one with the correct pulleys (1969-1970).

I ended up buying a replacement damper from Butler to get rid of damaged unit. I later purchased the water pump pulley to allow me to remove all of the washers I was using for aligning the alternator and power steering pump.

As mentioned many times in the forums: "The Pontiac engineers knew what they were doing".