Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default T Top repairs

Ames sells a little repair kit for the Fischer t tops. They are U shaped and have a little grove in them where they slide into the clips. Well the trim ripped and the t top wont lock in. Anybody know how they go on there? Do you just cut that little part of the trim out? Do they get glued on or????

Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not exactly sure of the question, but I am currently restoring a set. I have one completely apart and can post pics of the components if you like. Just let me know.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen those before for repairing torn slots on the Fisher t-top trim. But I haven't used them.

I have read that they just slide over top of the existing slots. If they are loose fitting, take them back off and squeeze them a little and try the fit again, and repeat until they fit very snug. Supposedly they can be made to fit tight enough so no adhesive is needed. But after adjusting the fit, I would be tempted to also add some epoxy glue to the final installation to be sure they stay in place.

Don't forget that you'll also need some of the rubber grommets that fit into the slots, if you don't already have them. Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-81-Fir...4383.l4275.c10

Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Not exactly sure of the question, but I am currently restoring a set. I have one completely apart and can post pics of the components if you like. Just let me know.
The trim is broke right where it goes onto the stainless part. The female part is what is broke. I took them off and put them away and started installing new seals, I test fit the seals and put the one top on. I knew it would be tight but when it wouldn't hold in the middle I looked and said,,,,well crap what do I do now. Thats when I flipped open the Ames book.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
I've seen those before for repairing torn slots on the Fisher t-top trim. But I haven't used them.

I have read that they just slide over top of the existing slots. If they are loose fitting, take them back off and squeeze them a little and try the fit again, and repeat until they fit very snug. Supposedly they can be made to fit tight enough so no adhesive is needed. But after adjusting the fit, I would be tempted to also add some epoxy glue to the final installation to be sure they stay in place.

Don't forget that you'll also need some of the rubber grommets that fit into the slots, if you don't already have them. Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-81-Fir...4383.l4275.c10
Ordered them good call!! I'm gonna have tons more issues in the next few months. Thanks for all the input!!

Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Ordered them good call!! I'm gonna have tons more issues in the next few months. Thanks for all the input!!
You're welcome .

Old 02-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Suspended

Aah....stress free, rust free hardtops

Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM

I bought a pair of these and when installed these stick up kind of high and really noticeable. These do not blend in well with original tops and so I have not used them. So only the bottom piece of the frame was broken on my set of old t-tops. I slid a small piece of metal in there and used silicon to keep metal in place. Looks a lot better then those t-top clips. These will hold them over until I get the other pair of t-tops I have stripped and painted. It took a long time for me to track down a good set of t-tops where the frames were not broken. Just my .02

Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 AM
Suspended

What do they repair?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the t-top glass panel, there's an aluminum frame that goes around the glass. On the inside edge of this frame are 2 rectangular slots in the metal. Installed into each slot is a plastic insert. On the t-t-top opening on the car, there are 2 chrome tabs, like the one I'm pointing to with the red arrow. When you install a t-top panel, you line up and slide the t-top frame slots over the chrome tabs to secure the inside edge of the panel to the car, before you lock it down with the handle. The plastic inserts inside the slots prevents metal to metal contact and rattling.

The metal of the slots in the aluminum frame can get torn or otherwise damaged, so that's what the repair pieces are for....to overlap the torn hole with new metal and a fresh new hole.

Top picture shows the locations of the 2 slots. 2nd pic is close-up so you can better see the rectangular slot and (worn) plastic insert. The photo(not my car) showing a chrome tab on the car doesn't have the weatherstrip installed yet. The other bracket is to hold the weatherstrip secure in the corner.

011 by grand73am, on Flickr
008 by grand73am, on Flickr
CORNER CLIP by grand73am, on Flickr

Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Sheesh Steve, I was just after a quick and lazy response for hardtop owners who weren't following! Thanks for that.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Ben,

You never know how much somebody else already knows, so I try to be thorough . But it's still lacking, since I didn't have a pic of a torn hole or a pic of the repair parts .

Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great pics!!! I wish the roof of my TA looked like that one. I have the grommets and the new clips in there. They do sit a little high, especially with new seals. The car will be a driver and stored outside for a couple more years until I get an addition on the garage. The main thing is that the car is watertight.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Great pics!!! I wish the roof of my TA looked like that one. I have the grommets and the new clips in there. They do sit a little high, especially with new seals. The car will be a driver and stored outside for a couple more years until I get an addition on the garage. The main thing is that the car is watertight.
Well they leaked! My roof does look like that now and I have room in the garage for it. The car is painted and I bought another set of pretty nice tops. I gave them and new seals to my body guy. He's got everything fitted and looking good. A lot better than I could have. Now my problem is the t tops I bought are different, one has a smooth edge on the bottom and looks great. The other has a drip rail on it! Did they make two kinds? Can the drip edge be removed off my old one? Thanks for all your help, and aussie I'm not really a t top guy but the car was in good shape.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes T tops came with drip rails as an option, they should be removable without too much work, pretty sure they just screw on under the weatherstrip.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you!