Old 06-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hood insulation clips for molded insulation pad

We scored a great deal on a molded hood insulation pad. We held it up to the underside of the hood and it seemed to fit well. It didn't come with clips, though, and it seems as though the original ones are shot. They also don't seem to be long enough to hold the molded pad. I haven't seen clips for sale specific to the molded pad. Just the two original types, one is a metal square and one a plastic square. Is the metal one superior for holding the pad on?

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate plastic. Plastic breaks.

George

Old 06-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

Get the metal square clips and you will be fine. You need a second set of hands when installing the pad, as the clips appear to be short. Once the pad is in place, push one of the center clips in until you feel it hit the hole. Push down on the outside edges and hit it firmly in the center with a small rubber or plastic mallet. Work your way around and outward, repeating those steps. The clips will seat and look good. Be careful when handling not to bend the mat or it will break. I heard you can super glue it back together if it does. (I did not have too) Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A5EDDB4-5EA6-452C-A731-6247A66DD8BA.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	543488  

Last edited by sprintbird; 06-26-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's super helpful. Thank you. I'll get the metal clips from our host.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful when doing the outside corners as the pad will break easily. Just ask me how I know!

Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any preferred insulation brand? I purchased from some restoration parts brand a few years ago. Went to install a few days ago and it crumbled apart in my hands!

Need to buy a new one.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what brand this one is. There's no identifier or part number. That's why I was wondering if I got a pig in a poke. As per the other comments it definitely looks like it would break easily. The other solution is the one that's more like the original. Essentially just a sheet of what looks like furnace filter to me. There were little pieces of that stuff under the old clips that I took off.