Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default A/C Compressor

I've been looking into replacing the compressor in my 62 GP. I have the original A6 compressor made by Frigidaire.
Besides the pulley diameter, there are a couple of things that I'm finding different in various compressors, even though they claim to be direct replacements. One is the clocking of the wire connections. The one I have is clocked at 10, while most of the replacements are clocked at 2. It doesn't seem to make any difference, but there is also one dimension that varies. It is called "mount distance to groove midpoint" .I have found that it varies from 1.9 in to 2.1 in. There is no reference drawing to show what that dimension is. Does anyone know where that is measured?
thanks,
Les

Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What's wrong with your original compressor? You can install a new-style lip seal or you can get a rebuilt compressor or even a new one from Alma Products, which is the company which owns the tooling for the A6 compressors.

http://www.almaproducts.com/products/ac-compressors

Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not what you are looking for but if you want it I have a new never used CVF racing compressor that has one of the mounting lugs with a piece chipped out of it you can have for free. My machine shop said it’s an easy fix but CVF has a lifetime warranty and they sent me another

Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
What's wrong with your original compressor? You can install a new-style lip seal or you can get a rebuilt compressor or even a new one from Alma Products, which is the company which owns the tooling for the A6 compressors.
I don't know what, or if anything, is wrong with the original compressor. It has been in a box that came with the car. I've never used it because the one on the car is a rebuilt one, and has been working for over ten years. The system has been converted to R-134, and the rebuilt compressor was installed then. I was going to buy another rebuilt compressor, and wanted to keep the original look. Can this compressor be tested without putting it into the system and having it charged? If not, I would be wasting money having it charged!

So that is how I came to look at compressors that may be listed as not fitting my car. Most dimensions are pretty straight forward, but this one variable dimension is listed as "mount distance to groove midpoint" in the A/C catalogs. That is why I ask if anyone knows where it is measured.
Thanks, Les

Old 07-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I finally got my original question answered. Google answered it for me.
It is the distance from the front mount plate of the compressor to the midpoint of the pulley groove. So the result of a different dimension would only affect belt alignment, and could easily be adjusted with shims or washers.
Les