Old 12-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Clutch and Flywheel recommendations...

Currently I have a Centerforce dual friction clutch in my car paired with the cheapest chinese steel flywheel on ebay. That was 15 years ago, and its been in a couple different combos since then. Same engine and car, just different levels of horsepower. Present combo is about 520hp and may go up a little in the future. So its been 15 years and its starting to slip a bit since last year, I did not make it racing this year. I do drive this car on the street as well.

Questions

1. Anyone have experience with the aluminum flywheels? Do they really smooth things out? Or should I just grab a matching Centerforce?
2. Any recommendations on a clutch with holding power for my application? But still lighter on the left knee?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Man I've run several and I love the LS7 clutch. It would manage what you need, I've never looked at whether it will bolt up and package for your deal.

You need a diaphragm pressure plate for low pedal pressure. I think the Centerforce dual friction is hard to beat for traditional applications with decent torque and low pedal pressure. If an LS7 bolts in I'd use it. They work great and have great feel/launch capability at 550 ft-lb.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand this question - "1. Anyone have experience with the aluminum flywheels? Do they really smooth things out? Or should I just grab a matching Centerforce?"

What are you trying to smooth out? It will idle rougher with an aluminum flywheel, and it will spin the tires easier from a roll on the street. But it will be much more responsive.

B/T/W, I had no trouble with the CF clutch with 650 HP. I used it with both aluminum and steel flywheels in 400's and 428's.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I don't understand this question - "1. Anyone have experience with the aluminum flywheels? Do they really smooth things out? Or should I just grab a matching Centerforce?"

What are you trying to smooth out? It will idle rougher with an aluminum flywheel, and it will spin the tires easier from a roll on the street. But it will be much more responsive.

B/T/W, I had no trouble with the CF clutch with 650 HP. I used it with both aluminum and steel flywheels in 400's and 428's.
Was that a race style DF clutch or just a standard one?
Sorry for stealing your post.
Thanks very much.

GT.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Some one told me they will smooth out a "lumpy cam". I found it hard to believe which is why I asked all you experienced guys/gals. I think oil from my leaking rear main has damaged the disc over the years. Ill never be at 650 hp in this car.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
Was that a race style DF clutch or just a standard one?
Sorry for stealing your post.
Thanks very much.

GT.
The standard CFDF setup. I didn't know they made a race one, and what I have is on my streetcar. I've run it with engines from 406 - 434, and flywheels weighing from 11-22 pounds (both steel and aluminum).

Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Some one told me they will smooth out a "lumpy cam". I found it hard to believe which is why I asked all you experienced guys/gals. I think oil from my leaking rear main has damaged the disc over the years. Ill never be at 650 hp in this car.
1. No way on smoothing out the lumpy idle. Heavier flywheels will help, but they're not fun.

2. I've had severely leaking rear mains, and it has never hurt the clutch.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a Mcleod dual disc, pedal is butter, Aluminum flywheel, with a turbocharged 461. I loved it. Before I stepped up in h.p. with the turbo,I had the centerforce d.f. with no issues. That was only 450 h.p. though.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
1. No way on smoothing out the lumpy idle. Heavier flywheels will help, but they're not fun.

2. I've had severely leaking rear mains, and it has never hurt the clutch.
OK call me slow but I'm catching on. Fun as hell to drive but more radical at idle...awesome.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a lady stop by the shop with her 36 Ford hotrod she inherited from her Dad. She wanted a few leaks etc taken care of and wanted a clutch pedal she didn't have to stand on.
It had a B&B style pressure plate and was kind of hefty pedal pressure . Part of problem was angle of clutch rod due to engine swap . The easiest fix was adding a master cylinder and slave. The slave straightened the push angle on the throw out arm .
Believe Dave got it from Speedway. There are combination slave/throw out bearings available too but would take either a booster or connecting linkage mods to ease left leg loads. Hydro boost system for "power assist " clutch would make for a real easy pedal imo.