Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Removing front speaker

Time to replace the front speaker in my 67 convertible. I have removed the radio, but I still don’t think I can get the speaker down, let alone restart the nuts for the new speaker. Is there an easier way, like remove the dash pad? How about removing all the heater controls.? Which is the best way to do this......I’m beginning to think this is a job for a 20 something, not a 75 yr old. 😀

10.09 @ 133
Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you don't have AC, and that is a good thing in this case.
It is a PITA are most under the dash task. You are correct as the radio must be removed to get to the speaker support nuts.
I don't touch the heater controls but do remove the ashtray and the driverside seat just to give myself more room and comfort.
It's not necessary but sure makes life a little easier.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd also recommend wearing some safety glasses or goggles and possibly a dust mask, too. When I disassembled the dash of my car, even a very slight tap of the insulation would shower me in fibrous dust. Without protective gear, you'll get tons of it in your eyes and lungs. Not fun.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Removing the dash pad won't help....pulling the seat certainly helps your back in these operations. When I was assembling my dash after painting, etc.I saw the issue and added the speaker with wires attached before ducts, etc.

George

Old 06-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree that removing the dash pad doesn't help at all. It's been awhile but I seem to remember that removing the glove compartment box made for another point of access and helped?

Old 06-10-2020, 04:02 PM

I took the glove box out and I was able to see in there a little better.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Default Speaker Replace

I did mine from the passenger side. Removed the radio, pass seat, glove box and door and loosened the heater controls. Install the wires on the speaker before putting the speaker in place. It's still a tough job for us 60 somethings. But work a while and then stop and stretch a while.