Old 03-03-2005, 06:17 AM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Okay, here's the deal. Our school 1969 Lemans into Judge clone project is under way. It is a long term project, but we will be buying parts as we can find bargains. Because of this, we must decide soon what color combination we will use for the car. The combination must be easy to get right(students are working on this), readily available,bring the best resell price and great to look at.Remember, this will have Judge stripes. Cast your vote based on this criteria. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:17 AM
"Teacher

Okay, here's the deal. Our school 1969 Lemans into Judge clone project is under way. It is a long term project, but we will be buying parts as we can find bargains. Because of this, we must decide soon what color combination we will use for the car. The combination must be easy to get right(students are working on this), readily available,bring the best resell price and great to look at.Remember, this will have Judge stripes. Cast your vote based on this criteria. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think your two best color combos for resale appeal are the Carousel Red/ Black int. or the Blue/ Parchment int. Painting the car white would be my last choice.

But, then again what do I know, I've got a triple green Lemans!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-04-2005, 06:02 AM
"Teacher

>>>>>>>>>>>But , then again what do I know, I've got a triple green Lemans!<<<<<<<<<<&lt ;<

How funny, that's what we're starting with! Verdoro green with avacado interior and a white vinyl top. Some have suggested we simply restore it back to original. No offense, but I can't bear the thought.When my dad and I used to look for muscle cars way back when, it never failed that they were always olive green with green seats.Did anyone EVER sell anything else? I'm sure it only seemed that way, because we usually ended up with blue/teal cars (69 Torino GT, 66 Lemans with GTO trim and tri-power, 68 firebird), after passing on the dozen or so green ones.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:16 AM

personally i'd do the interior black. i know alot of people who will walk away from a light interior due to the cleaning issues.

re the paint, i agree with the comment on the green. it seems the vedero color was cheap in the late 60's.i always wondered if it was military surplus some genius mixed up without the flattner.

my 68 was that color and it's going gold when i paint it.

personally the blue is my favorite color with the judge stripes.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car IS triple green, but it's NOT Verdoro!

Limelight green cars are fewer and farther between.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newtop_34-2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4483  

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HOW ABOUT SILVER WITH BLACK INTERIOR?????

Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Suspended

For resale, Carousel Red or triple black are big sellers. Liberty Blue would be a winner too. Hard to go wrong with any of those, but non Pontiac people love black and recognize Carousel Red.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 PM

If your cloning a Judge, why not go all the way and make it Orange???

Old 03-05-2005, 08:07 PM
"Teacher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">personally i'd do the interior black. i know alot of people who will walk away from a light interior due to the cleaning issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm leaning to black for this reason. The parts are more plentiful, and if we need to dye something, white does not cover wellike black does. There are many votes for the Liberty Blue, which is a beautiful color. But I agree that Liberty blue would be far better with parchment interior than black. Carousel Red with black seems like the logical choice for ease,recognition, resell and availability of parts.Black is out because there is no mergin for error, and this is a class project. But we love the Liberty Blue, and those Judge stripes really set it off....

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;.HOW ABOUT SILVER WITH BLACK INTERIOR?????&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

My dad, God rest his soul, was a Raider fan and loved silver and black cars, too.In fact several of our cars that were bought other colors became silver and black eventually. But we want to stick with a trademark and easily recognizable Judge color combo.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
"Teacher

It looks like Liberty Blue with parchment interior is the winner.At any rate, it looks like parchment interior. Now, where can I get thi stuff? I look through my catalogues and some of the pieces say "white" but also say that it needs to be painted or dyed the right shade. Anyone know where a guy can get parchment dye or paint? Anyone have any parchment interior parts?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know, I actually was the third person to vote on your poll and I was the first to vote for the blue/parchment combo....but you and Mike convinced me that although it looks great, the black is a better choice.
I've had two cars with white interiors and they are impossible to keep clean and after a certain point in it's life....Impossible to GET clean.
With that said, if I was going to go black, I'd do the exterior Orbit Orange just for the nice contrast.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 AM

Teacher Teacher, her is a good car for you to move over to for the class project. Its on Ebay right now and in Omaha, Nebraska.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6426

It says it comes with a bunch of GTO parts for a conversion and has a bit of rust. A convertible would be the way to go [in my opinion]

Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
"Teacher

It's a good potential car, for sure. However, the executive committee has already nixed the idea of buying another car. It's this one or nothing. We have already bought a rust free cowl section, windshield frame, pakage tray and filler panel sheetmetal, trunk seal channels and trunk hinges, all from a wrecked 70 Lemans HT coupe. There have been people on this forum who have offered to donate parts to this (So far nothing has actually come).We are off to a pretty good start on this car, after an intitial period of disappointment and discouragement because of all the rust.This will be a nice car, with a complete nut and bolt restoration. The only thing different between this and a real Judge will be the serial number (which we have to remove from the old cowl to even use that!) We still hold out hope that there will be donations and good parts deals.

As for the parchment interior, I believe you. Especially if we are having to paint, dye and make use of used parts. And yes, with black interior orange looks better than blue. Here's one more for you. The car had a vinyl top. Would it kill the value to replace the vinyl top? Personally, I don't like them, but I don't speak for anyone else. But if we replace the vinyl it would help hide any imperfections from welding in the windshield frame, q-panels, etc. What are your thoughts on this?

I

Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 PM

It seems that if you are already doing a modified car the vinyl top probably won't matter all that much in the scheme of things

Old 03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm told that the vinyl top is actually easier/cheaper than a hardtop if you've got lots of rust and patching to cover.
My car was originally a vinyl top car but I like the look of a hardtop better so that's the way I'm going.
I don't think it will make a difference in your case as far as final value goes. You're already cloning an entirely different vehicle. It'd be kind of silly for someone to say that it should have had a vinyl top accoring to PHS.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
"Teacher

I think maybe I've been misunderstood. What I Meant to say was that in my mind, a vinyl top car is worth less, because it is less attractive, than a hardtop. As to value, I am wondering if others think the same way. Will a vinyl top devalue the car because it is less attractive?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, I see.
Well, I used to think that and it may have been accurate for a while...but I don't think so any more.
I'm seeing a lot more GTOs being restored with vinyl tops on them again...and they look good too.