Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bristol Va Abingdon

Our pontiacs have been garaged all winter. Anyone interested in meeting up and blowing the dust out of the pypes? I know enough Pontiac people to start a club if they would get out of the house. Anytime works for me. Anyone Interested?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70KGOLD View Post
Our pontiacs have been garaged all winter. Anyone interested in meeting up and blowing the dust out of the pypes? I know enough Pontiac people to start a club if they would get out of the house. Anytime works for me. Anyone Interested?
I'd be there in a heartbeat if you weren't 280 miles south. I'm near the northern end of 81 and I don't know any Pontiac folks up here... running down the highway with a bunch of Pontiacs would be a blast! I hope you get some takers on your get-together!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My project car is far from being ready to drive but I would make an effort to occasionally meet up with a bunch of Pontiac guys.

My Pontiac project car is far from driving condition but I would like meet up with some other Pontiac people occasionally. There seems to be quite a few Pontiac people in the area within 50 miles or so of Bristol/Abingdon. Going to local cruise-in shows, etc. it appears that there is a wide variety of Pontiacs in the vicinity and I know there are many very nice top-notch quality local Pontiacs that don't get out much exposure.

Even at extended distances like up to Wise, VA, Princeton, WV and down to Knoxville, there are many other Pontiac people that might be interested in activities here.

I know that each of us has a "network" of Pontiac contacts but these tend to be of limited size and not well integrated into networks that others may have. A "club" would provide a forum where some of these networks could be integrated.

Count me in!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
My project car is far from being ready to drive but I would make an effort to occasionally meet up with a bunch of Pontiac guys.

My Pontiac project car is far from driving condition but I would like meet up with some other Pontiac people occasionally. There seems to be quite a few Pontiac people in the area within 50 miles or so of Bristol/Abingdon. Going to local cruise-in shows, etc. it appears that there is a wide variety of Pontiacs in the vicinity and I know there are many very nice top-notch quality local Pontiacs that don't get out much exposure.

Even at extended distances like up to Wise, VA, Princeton, WV and down to Knoxville, there are many other Pontiac people that might be interested in activities here.

I know that each of us has a "network" of Pontiac contacts but these tend to be of limited size and not well integrated into networks that others may have. A "club" would provide a forum where some of these networks could be integrated.

Count me in!

I'm told by an ex local that there was a bad black 59 Catalina 345HP running around that area, I'm also told it put more than a few 409 Chevy's on the trailer over at Coeburn Dragway.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coeburn Dragway? Wow never thought i would hear that mentioned on this site. Would love to see some Pictures of that place. Cattle only thing running on that track now.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day (mid 60's) when I lived in southwest WV guys would drive about 120 miles one-way to race or spectate at Coeburn.

A few years ago I got wind of a very strong Pontiac motor that was circulating around the Coeburn area. Supposedly, the motor had been in more than one Pontiac car and it was a monster engine. I seem to recall being told that at one time it was in a car (GTO) that crashed into a railroad train and maybe, the driver was killed. I never found the motor.

About 10 years ago I did buy a 65 tri-power setup off a guy at Coeburn. He had it on a running engine in a 70 or so Lemans. He had it advertised as a 66 setup which is what I was looking for. I bought it anyhow and put it on the shelf. After a while I advertised it and a bunch of other Pontiac stuff on the POCI website. Nothing happened and I forgot all about it. A few years later I got an E-mail from a guy in Australia asking if I still had the setup. At first I didn't know what he was talking about but I remembered the POCI ad finally and told him I did but that I had mounted it on an engine on a test stand. I told him I would have to take it off and put my 66 setup on that engine. When I had listed it on POCI I priced it at $1,400. By the time the Australian contacted me those setups were selling for a few hundred more dollars. I told the guy that I would sell it to him for the $1,400 price. He wanted it shipped to a seaport facility in San Diego within 9 days. Shipping and crating material cost me about $100. He wired me $1,700. I got it to the boat on time and it took 42 days for him to get it in Australia. I offered to give him a refund of the extra $200 but he insisted I keep it.

I don't know if its still there but for many years there was a rough 70 or so 4 speed black GTO sitting melting into the ground in a yard on a back street at Coeburn. One day I stopped and asked a woman on the porch about buying it. She snapped right back at me and said it was worth $40,000.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a couple of GTOs from a house in Coeburn 10 years ago. one was blue and cant remember the color of the other one. How much longer until you get your car going?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Project cars

Quote:
I bought a couple of GTOs from a house in Coeburn 10 years ago. one was blue and cant remember the color of the other one. How much longer until you get your car going?
Going?

Perhaps I will get it able to pull itself out of its tracks this summer/fall.

The project is a drivetrain conversion of a 63 Lemans from 4-cyl transaxle to conventional 428/Muncie/solid rear axle leaf spring setup/fuel cell, etc.(Basically "building" a car.)

I have most of this drivetrain/fuel cell/rear axle/front suspension work done. I have a built engine on a stand ready to go. The car is hanging in the air with a mock-up engine in it for measuring fitment of exhaust, etc.

Just this week I got back into my garage, straightening it up, getting a feel of what I need to do to get back on the car. Of course, this is when mowing yards and all that stuff starts up too but this year I have hired a teenager to handle most of that for me. Give me a shout and stop by and check it out.

I've got to go to Dog Town sometime soon. Maybe I'll stop by and see ya!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I've got to go to Dog Town sometime soon. Maybe I'll stop by and see ya!
On one of my trips visiting family in that area, had to be in the mid 90's. I spent a few hours at Dog Town, I was looking for any Pontiac engines I could find. As I was leaving with my hands empty, I asked if they had any Pontiac engines or parts, one of the guys said, all we have is this 2-4bbl intake manifold, I looked at and asked how much? Needless to say, I walked out with the 991 SD manifold.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile DOG TOWN

Funny tale about Dog Town. About 14 years ago I bought ($300) a rusty green 72 Safari sitting in a weedpatch melting down at St. Paul. Rough car body-wise but had a very good 250hp 400/4bbl engine (70k miles) with 7K3 heads. I drained the old gas out (including about a quart of water), put new gas in and it started right up. Got it home, put a new radiator in it, changed oil, some brake pads, 4 new 6-ply tires and some bits and pieces and put it on the road. I bought the car specifically to use it to ferry a ton of Pontiac stuff from southern WV to here. Early on, I flat towed a 62 Catalina from mid WV about 220 miles to here. It ran like a scalded dog and didn't break a sweat.

My wife soon took it over as a grocery getter. Of course she got flagged down quite often with people wanting to use it in a demo derby (I guess). She enjoyed that but she really enjoyed outrunning newer trucks and cars coming up the long, steep 2-mile upgrade mountain coming from Abingdon.

Anyhow, about Dog Town. I have been over about every inch of it (both yards) and I had even asked if they had one of these wagons. I was looking for a set of leaf springs. They said they didn't have one of the wagons. I forgot about it. Imagine how surprised I was when I was coming home from work one evening and lo-and-behold, there was one of those wagons on a trailer park beside the road at the yard entrance. Thinking it was one somebody was bringing in, I stopped, jumped out and asked the guys about it. Much to my surprise ( and disappointment), they said they had just gotten the wagon out of Dog Town where they found it way out in the woods. The guys told me they were taking the wagon to near Cleveland, OHIO (not Virginia) to use as a demo derby car.

A few years ago a couple guys showed up here wanting to buy my wagon, looking for parts to use in a clam-shell Chevy wagon that was similar. I told I would sell them the wagon but wanted to keep the engine and Turbo tranny. They said that would be okay. I told them the engine was A-one. I started the motor and let them hear it run. They said that they would take the wagon for $200, pull the motor and tranny and bring them back to me. They gave me a small deposit and said they would come back the next evening. They came back, but said they wanted the whole thing. I agreed, they gave me $700 and hauled it away. I got a call from the buyer a few weeks later and he told me he had driven my wagon and he was going to put the Pontiac engine in his Chevy wagon.

The guy was from near Grundy, VA as I recall.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I met a man at the car show last night, He was from abingdon va Nice guy with a 66 gto red vert with white top 4 speed 3 2s. Do any one know him? I did not ask his name, He was telling me about the 66 GTO at Morgan McClure Ford, Very good story about it, Has anyone saw it? He gave me more info on it. PS he has owned his 66 for 36 years.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dogtown Junk yard was my play ground when I grew up. My friends uncle owned the property it was on. I remember back in the 70s the guys that operated dogtown would build hotrods and drag race on Saturday afternoons on the highway by our house.

I know the man with the 66. That's a nice ride. where was the car show last night?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like I have seen the red GTO convertible at the cruise-ins at Magic Mart in Abingdon but I thought it was a 67 4spd with 66-deuces.

There was (is?) a very nice black 64 GTO around Wise a few years ago.

An interesting car I "passed" on about 10 years ago was a rough 67 or 68 Firebird convertible near Copper Creek school. I seem to recall it was a 4spd car and the guy selling it claimed it had been a car that was given as an award to astronaut Alan Sheppard (sp?) when it was new.

I got a bunch of carburetors/parts at Dogtown where he had them piled in an old International Travelall suv. Piled knee deep.

About 10 years ago Dogtown had a 57 4-dr post car, a 60 Vista 4dr hardtop and a picked over 69 4-spd hulk. Last time I was there the 57 and 60 were gone but I didn't check on the GTO then. A few months ago I called them about the GTO (I was wanting to cut the tranny hump out to use on my 63 Lemans) but the guy said the GTO was no longer there. About all that was left of the car was the swing pedals.

At one time there was a Ventura Sprint hulk there.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Dogtown Junk yard was my play ground when I grew up. My friends uncle owned the property it was on. I remember back in the 70s the guys that operated dogtown would build hotrods and drag race on Saturday afternoons on the highway by our house.

I know the man with the 66. That's a nice ride. where was the car show last night?
I live in elizabethton tn, We have a car show every sat from 5 -9 pm. He came to the show. On my second ? have you saw the 66 or 67 like new GTO at morgan McClure ford? or any other of his old cars the man sat said he had a lot of old cars in a shead beside his ford dealer? If it is not raining try to come to our car show, There are two other guys from bristol who show up alot, Very nice guys. Randy

Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The McClures has a stable of Muscle cars. There is a nice 1964 GTO conv. running around Castlewood but he hardly ever gets it out.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 AM

Hey im in Kingsport with my 72 Grand Prix Pro Touring project and would love to see a Local Pontiac group get formed, would be a blast.