Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update: A friend of mine told me to call Race Tec pistons. Honestly, I never heard of them but they had a 428 Pontiac forged piston available and they allowed me to make three changes on it for a $20 surcharge each. I was able to order a set of pistons with .990 pins, a 1.595 compression height (like the Icons) over the 1.575 stock height for them and a huge .040 more than the 1.55 pistons I currently have. I was also able to change the ring gap from metric to 1/16, 1/16, 3/16, rings I already have. Coincidentally, the pistons will be within a couple of grams of my current ones. The biggest weight difference is the new pins are 50g lighter so I may have to change the pins but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Again, thank you everybody for your wisdom and suggestions!!

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Very Happy that you now have a source for your pistons to fix the issue and plan for the pins.
If you are boosting the engine you want strong pins vs light weight pins.
I would never run a 140 gram pin (for example) in a high boost engine.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Suspended

If I’m not mistaken I have 138 gram tapered pins in my engine, not high in boost but with the right cam and heads you don’t need high boost to make lots of hp!

GTO George

Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 PM
Boost Engineer

The comment was directed towards a potential Centrifugal Supercharger purchase with the ability to make 25 psi of boost pressure.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Suspended

LOL.....moat boosted applications are capable of 20+ lbs of boost it doesn’t mean the person will or needs to run it!
Just a little FYI for boosted racers.

GTO George

Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 PM
Boost Engineer

For a bracket racer I would agree totally with that statement.

406 engine at 35 psi of boost pressure that runs a second quicker than a 525 cid engine
is a perfect reason for running more boost pressure.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
For a bracket racer I would agree totally with that statement.

406 engine at 35 psi of boost pressure that runs a second quicker than a 525 cid engine
is a perfect reason for running more boost pressure.
It should have ran quicker then 1 sec, I mean it probably had 2 turbos compared to my Jurassic roots blower and unning 24 lbs of boost more....wow .......after all I’m just a drag racer with a fast bracket engine! LOL!

Back to topic!

GTO George

Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Boost Engineer

You seem to be missing the extra 120 cubic inch difference and the 240-260 cfm heads vs your High ports in the discussion. TWO BIG DIFFERENCES IN THE COMPARISON.

Course you just want to race boost numbers.
Boost allowed a smaller engine 406 (with smaller flowing heads, 250 average intake flow, with higher restriction in the port flow) to run much faster vs the larger, big head flow engine. A SECOND FASTER. That is about as simple as I can explain this to the board. The restriction number was higher but the performance number was a bunch better with the smaller Turbo Engine.

Tom V.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Im a little lost why you would detour this tread to compare my Bracket car to a Pro Mod when it has nothing to do with the thread or even the post i made on piston wrist pins..........speacially when ALL the fact are not stated. You would make a great news guy for CNN! LOL!

GTO George

Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
....You would make a great news guy for CNN! LOL!

GTO George

Or better yet, Fox.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Boost Engineer

You guys remind me of Laurel and Hardy.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Im a little lost why you would detour this tread to compare my Bracket car to a Pro Mod when it has nothing to do with the thread or even the post i made on piston wrist pins..........speacially when ALL the fact are not stated. You would make a great news guy for CNN! LOL!

GTO George
For a guy who did not know the actual piston pins put into his engine, you make a great racer and a lousy engine builder. Maybe you had better apply for that job vs me. I am too busy passing on valid info.

Tom V.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Suspended

I’m the only one that works on my engine since it was put together in 2007. Someone can’t have a 1,400hp engine that runs 7’s in a 3,200 lb car and not know the parts in it.
You would know if you actually owned a race car that you raced and worked on.........just saying!

GTO George

Last edited by GTOGEORGE; 01-09-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Boost Engineer

Yawn.............................................. .................................................. ..................
Old records played over and over and over .................................................. ...........
Where is Charlie McCarthy this morning?
Really Glad Johnny406 has a plan for his engine with the Racetec Pistons.

Tom V.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Cool finally back on topic....kinda.

GTO George