Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Does the '67 His n Her Dual Gate shifter have a worry-free action on the gate side?

Hello. This is my first post here.

I have a question regarding the His n Her gate shifter from 1967.

Does the gated side of the shifter operate with a ratchet-type action with a mechanical stop between 1st and 2nd, like bang, bang?

I watched a YT video with "Dual Gate Shifter" in the title, and the fella does demonstrate the shifter. However, he shows respectfully "bumping" the shifter to 2nd and then into 3rd. He cautions that you don't want to bump it too hard and go from 1st directly into 3rd.

I would never slap a shifter so hard that the shift knob would go through the dash, but a mechanical stop between the positions makes sense that you can use the righthand side without the worry of missing 2nd gear.

I'm looking at the ones from Summit and some on eBay. There's a quite a price difference.

Thank you for your time.

--engineturn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67_shifter.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	530914  

Old 02-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the manual gate on the right side, if you keep pressure on the shifter to the right it will only go one detent at a time.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You kind of push it at an angle- keeping pressure to the right.

It is not like a quarter stick that has an actual lock out

Old 02-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll add that there is no performance difference when using the manual side of the shifter versus simply leaving it in drive and matting the long pedal. If the trans is set up to stock specs, the shifts will be at the same RPM's at WOT either way. It's just a gimmick....although it's a neat looking/feeling one.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default shifter

I have used the DG shifter for racing for many years with no problem. If you want to shift from one gear to the next quickly do not hold the shift handle. With the heel of your hand hit the shift ball quickly, forward and slightly to the right with moderate force. It will not skip a gear. Practice it with the engine off if you don't think I'm correct. After it shifts to second and you are ready to shift to third do it again. Do not hold the shifter in between shifts. This is of course with the handle in the Right hand slot.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:02 PM

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I very much appreciate it. You all have helped to answer my question.

--engineturn

Old 02-04-2020, 04:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm probably shifter dysfunctional, but at the track I could never trust myself to remember to load the shifter enough to the right to insure I didn't double shift into third. Most of the problem was my dedicated drag car did have a ratchet shifter and I wasn't that accustomed to banging shifts with the saw-toothed design. For myself, I found that not using the His side and just nudging the shifter on the Hers side with my thumb insured I didn't get happy and slap two gears at once. But hey, I love the looks of the shifter.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I'll add that there is no performance difference when using the manual side of the shifter versus simply leaving it in drive and matting the long pedal. If the trans is set up to stock specs, the shifts will be at the same RPM's at WOT either way. It's just a gimmick....although it's a neat looking/feeling one.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's just a gimmick - if you put the trans in first (whether on the his or hers side) it won't shift out of first until you shift it. That isn't the same as just mashing the gas in drive. What am I missing?