Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pump gas boost

The new Subaru STI's run 18 psi, I know a guy with a Ford Focus RS running 30 psi on pump gas, that ecoboost puts 450 to the ground.

How do they get away with that boost on pump gas, is it just a better head design? Cam design?
What is the highest boost you guys run on pump gas with no meth. Just pump gas

Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son's 2007 Madzaspeed 3 is direct injected and he turns the boost up to about 19 psi on premium pump gas.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What compression ratio do they run?

And yours?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Boost Engineer

You can buy E-85 gas at a bunch of gas stations locally. 85% ethanol and 15% gas.

So if you put in a bit less E-85 fuel in the tank and add a bit more gasoline you get a E-70 blend. This Coyote has made over 1400 HP RWHP with moderate turbos fro Hellion Turbo. 29 PSI of boost but good heads from Ford as well as other Ford components.

https://www.svtperformance.com/2016/...-2015-mustang/

So if you want to make great power on Pump Gas (ethanol and gas mix) then this is a good example of a street 8 second vehicle. ECOBOOST! ECOBOOST!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No doubt the vehicles electronics systems have a bearing on how these cars can run high boost. Myself, I prefer adding Toluene to pump gas to be able to run higher boost,cheap and easy.
ps, back in the early '90's I had a Ford Sapphire Cosworth saloon, with a Superchip in the factory ECU it ran up to 21psi of boost on ordinary pump fuel (no Toluene-I hadn't discovered it then!), though I did fit a home made water injection system later on for safety's sake.

Last edited by taff2; 02-26-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
No doubt the vehicles electronics systems have a bearing on how these cars can run high boost. Myself, I prefer adding Toluene to pump gas to be able to run higher boost,cheap and easy.
ps, back in the early '90's I had a Ford Sapphire Cosworth saloon, with a Superchip in the factory ECU it ran up to 21psi of boost on ordinary pump fuel (no Toluene-I hadn't discovered it then!), though I did fit a home made water injection system later on for safety's sake.
How much do you add per gallon?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Banks was running Toluene back in the 70s at a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts pump gas to 1 part Tolulene or to say it another way 20% of the tank of gas was Tolulene.

Tolulene is extremely dangerous as far as causing cancer later in life if you breathe the fumes very much. A very good respirator designed to trap Tolulene vapors before they reach your lungs needs to be in place.

Tolune is a big bang for the buck fuel octane improver but a very dangerous one as far as a cancer creater.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Banks was running Toluene back in the 70s at a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts pump gas to 1 part Tolulene or to say it another way 20% of the tank of gas was Tolulene.

Tolulene is extremely dangerous as far as causing cancer later in life if you breathe the fumes very much. A very good respirator designed to trap Tolulene vapors before they reach your lungs needs to be in place.

Tolune is a big bang for the buck fuel octane improver but a very dangerous one as far as a cancer creater.

Tom V.
Forget it, I rather use a meth kit with washer fluid!!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
X2 Walmart had a sale a few weeks back, -20 washer fluid $1.59 a gallon. I picked up 10 gallons.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
You will not see me running the stuff in my boosted engines either.

The Snow meth kits seem to do a good job based on feedback from Mr. 70 bird, (;>)

Tom V.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a lot of people don't realise is that ALL pump gas has Toluene in it from the pumps! Up to 17% in some cases, it's what the fuel companies use to make the higher octane pump fuels. If it's mixed outside and you wear gloves there is no problem, at least no more than if you mix race gas with your pump gas,or if you wash parts in gasoline. Race gas has a higher percentage of Toluene, that's what makes it high octane!
20% Toluene ( 1 gall Toluene to 4 galls gas) will give you a C16 type fuel- excellent for high boost combos,you can use more boost/more timing.
10% Toluene will give you a C12 type fuel good for low boost or high compression n/a combos.
5% is good for older high compression street engines, 10.5- 11.5 compression etc.
We tried 2.5% in my son's high compression 4 stroke dirt bikes, throttle response was much quicker and the bikes ran better all through the range, these bikes have 13.5 to 1 compression ratios from the factory and rev to 12-13,000 rpm.
I've used Toluene succesfully for about 15 years without any problems, apart from my hair falling out that is-though some might say that's down to age!

Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Obviously you have "done it", as did Mr Banks years ago.

I don't wash my hands in gasoline since the late 60s, I don't put my hands in Trans fluid, and I don't get around chemicals like benzene and Methanol Vehicles while they are idling their engines. A Fact: Chem Lab at the carb company I worked for. 10 guys in the Chem Lab, all 10 guys dead from Cancer related issues. Same company sent Tech out to build carbs at the track for people (for free) while they were racing. Hundreds of carbs in a week-end modded. Every guy on that crew dead from Cancer. Makes you think.

EFI has helped that deal a lot with people not getting near the chemicals and on their bodies. Still does not cover the Methanol vehicle exhaust issues.
I walk away when I hear "I love the smell of Methanol in the mornings".

Tom V.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM

What ratio would you mix Tolulene to 110 race fuel to get 116?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another good one to stay the hell away from is M.E.K. methyl ethyl keytone. I see guys at work everyday cleaning aircraft parts with that crap. just spill a few drops and it will stink-up the whole hanger.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never mixed Toluene with race fuel- I always start with the low octane chickens piss they sell at the pumps- but 10% would be a good start.
I'm pretty careful when mixing up fuel batches, I do it outside in the fresh air and wear rubber gloves. I agree that it is nasty stuff, but any chemical that actually 'works' usually is!
ps,don't store Toluene in plastic containers in the workshop that you work in, it evaporates through plastic containers and the place will smell of it.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chemicals that can strip paint or melt plastic deserve all the protection attention you can give.

My cancer(multiple myeloma) is in same family of blood cancers as lukemia. Rare and only commonality seems to be chemical workers, petroleum industry, and mechanics. No specific ties have been determined yet.

I grew up next to a place that made products with asbestos in them, was down wind from refineries, played in fields with white mud, walked through ponds that ooozed smelly oil-like stuff. Plenty of jet fuel down my arms draining sumps on B52's not to mention showers in deicing fluid even hydraulic fluid. MEK yep, but I tried to avoid that stuff as it burned skin pretty easy...toluene...in the 60's building models, glue was full of it(till idiots started sniffing the stuff)I think it was in model paint as well, it was common in gasoline not to mention tetraethyl lead . My go karts saw methanol, ethanol, model plane nitro, ether. I swam in the Niagara river long before the clean air/water act. Its a wonder I dont glow in the dark lol.

Yeah,be careful with any chemical you're handling including household stuff.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the consensus for pump gas ( only, no alcohol injection) boost psi?

Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Even with no alcohol, question is too broad as there are at least 3 grades of no lead pump fuel out there today.

Tom V.

Sad that Bruce is no longer with us. RIP Bruce

Old 10-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Even with no alcohol, question is too broad as there are at least 3 grades of no lead pump fuel out there today.

Tom V.

Sad that Bruce is no longer with us. RIP Bruce

Oh geez, I didn't know.

93 octane.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
What is the consensus for pump gas ( only, no alcohol injection) boost psi?
This also depend on compression, cam choice, timing.... but 15 psi is safe on 93 octane. I have friends running 18psi with no issues, but I think that is pushing it. It leaves no room for error.