Old 10-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ran the equivalent to the US 93/94 octane in my car .... 15-20 psi on the street
Colder climate, A2W cooling, coated pistons, locked @ low 20's timing etc. etc. and lack of traction might have helped.

I always ran my best mph at the track with avgas though... 155-156mph @ 20-25psi

.... but honestly looking back and I have to say WHY ?? You don't need 1000hp at the street ! Buy some quality gates and run a comfortable number.. 10 psi will drag a nothing special 6x 455 mill up to 700hp +. Not sure more is needed for Ice Cream :-)

Kris

Old 10-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GTO View Post
I ran the equivalent to the US 93/94 octane in my car .... 15-20 psi on the street
Colder climate, A2W cooling, coated pistons, locked @ low 20's timing etc. etc. and lack of traction might have helped.

I always ran my best mph at the track with avgas though... 155-156mph @ 20-25psi

.... but honestly looking back and I have to say WHY ?? You don't need 1000hp at the street ! Buy some quality gates and run a comfortable number.. 10 psi will drag a nothing special 6x 455 mill up to 700hp +. Not sure more is needed for Ice Cream :-)

Kris
Yes after 10 psi on a fresh road is a spin fest. I like pump gas not E 85 just because I never have to worry about where to get gas. I also only have air to air intercooler. I have been at 15 no issues.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

The cylinder head design, the fuel injection and ignition system and the computer control system. Everything is perfectly tuned using knock, O2 and other sensors. Inter coolers are also very important. All of this can be done to a Pontiac V8 but it will be very expensive. Some are doing it and it is cool to follow along.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
No doubt the vehicles electronics systems have a bearing on how these cars can run high boost. Myself, I prefer adding Toluene to pump gas to be able to run higher boost,cheap and easy.
ps, back in the early '90's I had a Ford Sapphire Cosworth saloon, with a Superchip in the factory ECU it ran up to 21psi of boost on ordinary pump fuel (no Toluene-I hadn't discovered it then!), though I did fit a home made water injection system later on for safety's sake.
Where do you get toluene at? I'd like to try some in my blower car.

GT.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy mine off ebay in 25 litre drums. I used to buy it from a local chemical company that used the Toluene to make high octane race fuel for the rally championship cars. A 20% mix is equivalent to C16, that's 4 gallons of chickens piss pump gas and 1 gallon of Toluene. Your blower engine will love it. (ps, wear gloves and mix it outside if you're using it regularly -like all good things it's bad for you)

Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
Where do you get toluene at? I'd like to try some in my blower car.

GT.
I got some at Ace hardware, home depot carried it a while back too

Old 11-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure it's pure Toluene, a lot of the hardware paint thinners Toluene has a fair bit of methanol in it too.