Old 01-25-2020, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 T/A Custom Trim Group ?

Some of the options on my 1970 T/A include Custom Belts and the Custom Trim Group. I noticed there are no chrome "surrounds" on the gas, brake or clutch pedals of my car. My question is: what items are included in the "Custom Trim" group and should I have the chrome "surrounds" on the pedals? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure to get an argument on this one, but no, you should not have chrome surrounds on your pedals UNLESS you have a very early production '70.
Custom Trim Group UPC W54, Sales Code 731 should include; assist straps on doors and above glove box, perforated headliner, formed trunk mat, body color inserts in outside door handles, and of course custom seat upholstery, door and quarter trim panels. Custom belts was a separate stand-alone option.

FWIW, I've seen Custom interior optioned cars with non-perf headliners as well as std. interior cars with perforated. Seems Fisher Body was not too picky about which were installed and I'm sure most dealers never would have noticed (or cared) about which was installed.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exactly what I needed TAric and many thanks. My car was built June of 1970 so it was pretty late in the run.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
I'm sure to get an argument on this one, but no, you should not have chrome surrounds on your pedals UNLESS you have a very early production '70.
Custom Trim Group UPC W54, Sales Code 731 should include; assist straps on doors and above glove box, perforated headliner, formed trunk mat, body color inserts in outside door handles, and of course custom seat upholstery, door and quarter trim panels. Custom belts was a separate stand-alone option.

FWIW, I've seen Custom interior optioned cars with non-perf headliners as well as std. interior cars with perforated. Seems Fisher Body was not too picky about which were installed and I'm sure most dealers never would have noticed (or cared) about which was installed.
Agreed, except...I know the window sticker description for custom trim mentions the unique interior quarter panels, but pretty much every deluxe interior '70 Firebird/TA I've seen had the same plain quarter trim panels as the standard interior cars.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Agreed, except...I know the window sticker description for custom trim mentions the unique interior quarter panels, but pretty much every deluxe interior '70 Firebird/TA I've seen had the same plain quarter trim panels as the standard interior cars.
Agree with that. My own '70 Van Nuys built has the plain, basic panels there too. My post was taken from a Feb. 24, 1970 Dealer Pontiac Accessorizer booklet, page 4.
They also call,the trunk mat "vinyl". They seem like a rubber material to me, maybe rubber - vinyl blend.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Mine has both. lol

Completely untouched, standard interior car with one deluxe panel and one standard.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Mine has both. lol

Completely untouched, standard interior car with one deluxe panel and one standard.
That's pretty wild! Norwood build?
I'm the second owner of my VN built non - A/C '70 TA which got built with an A/C style glove box door. Gotta love those miss-builds.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mine has both. lol

What's the cowl tag build date?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
That's pretty wild! Norwood build?
I'm the second owner of my VN built non - A/C '70 TA which got built with an A/C style glove box door. Gotta love those miss-builds.
Norwood car, 3rd week of March built.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National