Old 01-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ‘65 Bumper Re-Chrome and straightening

What is the average cost up to these days? I know it varies a lot state by state.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 PM

I got a quote for triple plating from Bumper Boyz in Calif of 900. I think they can do an order and then bring to a major meet and take your core in exchange.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Bumper Boyz in Calif "
Run Forest, RUN.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes run from the Boyz. They have a reputation, and it's not good. I had my front and rear done this past year, triple plate it was $650 each. They came out beautiful. Custom Metal Finishing Cambridge City, IN. http://www.chromeplatingin.com

Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have an LKQ outlet in your area? You can drop it off with them, they send it to Keystone Plating in Minnesota (I think they are part of the same overall corporation) then when it is done you pick it up again at the same location. Save on shipping. I've had them do a number of bumpers and they always do great work. I had a concern one time and they took care of it two years after the fact. Good people. I think the last one I had done was around $700.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Do you have an LKQ outlet in your area? You can drop it off with them, they send it to Keystone Plating in Minnesota (I think they are part of the same overall corporation) then when it is done you pick it up again at the same location. Save on shipping. I've had them do a number of bumpers and they always do great work. I had a concern one time and they took care of it two years after the fact. Good people. I think the last one I had done was around $700.
The plating shop in Minnesota does excellent work, I've used them several times. LKQ has outlets all over the country, chances are there's one close by for you.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfreeb View Post
I got a quote for triple plating from Bumper Boyz in Calif of 900. I think they can do an order and then bring to a major meet and take your core in exchange.
Never exchange your core for another especially if your original fits good. It's difficult to tell if the bumper they give you is bent until you try it on your car. I've had a few friends in the past exchange their good cores for rechromed ones from Bumper Boyz that did not fit . Send out your bumper to a reputable plater and make sure you get the same one back. I'm in a different situation in that the front bumper on my 65 is bent. I need to find a good core, try it on my car first and then send it out . Another option might be the repro bumpers if the quality is good.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
I'm in a different situation in that the front bumper on my 65 is bent. I need to find a good core, try it on my car first and then send it out . Another option might be the repro bumpers if the quality is good.
A good shop can straighten them so you won't be able to detect it was damaged. Several of the bumpers I've sent to the LKQ shop in Minnesota were bent, had holes drilled in them, etc. and they all came back great.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're in SoCal, take it to Vern's a few miles east of LAX off the 105. One of the few "Old School" platers in California that are still allowed to use the original method of plating.
He did my 68 rear for $600.

Cash only, 50% up front.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-27-2020, 12:28 AM

I had Verne's do my 66 front and rear. It was 450 for the rear, 500 for the front and an extra 70 to sand blast the inside of both bumpers to get a better quality job on the part you don't see. They came out great with a glossy smooth mirror finish. One of the other senior members recommended Verne's.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
Never exchange your core for another especially if your original fits good. It's difficult to tell if the bumper they give you is bent until you try it on your car. I've had a few friends in the past exchange their good cores for rechromed ones from Bumper Boyz that did not fit . Send out your bumper to a reputable plater and make sure you get the same one back. I'm in a different situation in that the front bumper on my 65 is bent. I need to find a good core, try it on my car first and then send it out . Another option might be the repro bumpers if the quality is good.
I also used LKQ. I vibro-etched my initials on the inside of both front and rear. Wanted to get the same ones back. I did.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 Same as Tempest1964. They are guaranteed for life with original owner.

"Bill"!

Old 01-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask and you shall receive. This forum's 64-65 section is great. Will try calling Verne's first since they are local. That is a good price. The problem is the rear bumper needs a lot of straightening too. Been wacked in the center.

It's very important to get the rear bumpers perfectly straight on these cars..

Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Keystone that is now LKQ . look great and got my org. bumpers back . was a few years ago though.

you may ask about there chrome plating for other parts also . at one time they did specialty car chrome work

Old 01-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keystone is about 4 blocks from my house, they have a pattern library of every bumper made. That's what they use to make sure the bumpers are perfectly straight before they get chromed. They also do pot metal now.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keystone is probably the best if you need a bumper which needs straightening such as mine. I have Pick your Part closeby. If shipping is not bad, might go that route.

Now for question 2, how about the rear ribbed panel which is pot metal I believe? Who does those and at what cost?

Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a place that makes the parts I think you're talking about. Their quality is said to be excellent.
https://pgclassic.com/search.php?search_query=pontia

Old 01-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only people that have the ribbed panel for a 65 is The Parts Place. I've not seen one first hand, but i've been told the quality is a bit sketchy. Probably better off rechroming an original. That's the route i ended up going.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you didn't read all of my post, Keystone does pot metal.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
The only people that have the ribbed panel for a 65 is The Parts Place. I've not seen one first hand, but i've been told the quality is a bit sketchy. Probably better off rechroming an original. That's the route i ended up going.
I met a guy recently who finished the restoration of a 65 GTO. He used one of those rear panels from the Parts Place. While I didn't see the car he said he was disappointed with the quality and was sorry he purchased it. He said if he had known he would have sent out his original for rechroming. I wish the same company that makes the tail light bezels would step up and produce the tail panel. Their stuff is good quality and I'm sure they would sell a lot of them.