Old 02-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Interior parts - different part #s for color?

I have a few fully packaged NOS interior pieces and I have sometimes wondered: How did the warehouse people know what color part they were pulling off the shelf? Are the part numbers different or is there some other number on the package? I know what color these parts are because we ordered them from GM when the car was not that old(and I still have the car they were ordered for). But, how did the warehouse guys know what they were pulling?

Old 02-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As you probably know, parts were sorted by Group numbers you see in Parts catalogs. Molded color parts have different part numbers for different colors. Dealers rarely stocked much of any interior parts that were molded colors. At wharehouse Each color had a "bin" in the group section for those parts. So, until the cars were 5+ years old, bins were separate parts. As cars got older, Bins got combined with same part, different colors. Pull by visual part number.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just adding a visual to this. This is an example of 1970 Firebird Console part numbers by Transmission (Manual vs. Auto) and by color.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys! It seemed logical that it would work that way. But, we know that the things automakers do are not always logical. Haha