Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to drill and tap the block. Just install this adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6750.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	532768  

Old 02-23-2020, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also here is a great way to keep you factory oil filter adapter with the bypass installed if that's the way you want to go. It's designed to use with remote filtering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6744.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	532769  

Old 02-23-2020, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Then just install a remote oil filter adapter. Then run a bigger filter like the Wix 51061R. Make changing your oil a breeze. Another advantage is you can monitor the temperature of the oil at the remote filter location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6746.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	532770   Click image for larger version

Name:	CTR-22-620_BK_xl.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	532771  

Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks to be a remote full flow filter as Schurkey has already commented on. It still is only filtering to the 20-40 micron standard as all full flow filters are limited to. Blocking the by pass valve, or eliminating it, and forcing 100% of all the oil through a full flow filter does zero to eliminate the smaller particulate (5-15 micron sized) that passes right through a full flow filters media and as the concentrations increase of those really small particles, the oil actually becomes abrasive and if it isn't changed very frequently wears parts inside of the engine.

The media that is much finer (and restrictive) in an aftermarket by pass filter system takes all the very fine particles out of the oil, halting it from becoming a harmful mixture that has the ability to make sludge, and wear engine parts.

The difference is I can run my oil with an additional bypass system installed for 3-4 years 30-35,000 miles safely, by simply just changing the by pass filter media, and leaving the same oil in the engine. It never becomes dirty, or abrasive. This causes wear, or eventual failure to the internally oiled engine parts. It also is wasteful by throwing oil that is perfectly fine, except for the fact that it wasn't properly filtered and can never be filtered to the standard by one, or multiple full flow filters.

The example I like to use, is putting chicken wire on the windows of your house and expecting to keep the flies and mosquitoes out of your living quarters. You probably won't get any birds in your house, but the pesky insects will fly right through the chicken wire. Replacing the chicken wire with much finer window screen will keep all the wildlife out of the house. The chicken wire is like full flow media (catches only the larger wildlife), finer window screen is like a by pass filter media (catches all the wildlife). the doors of the house are like the by pass valve in the engine. The idea is to keep it closed as much time as practical, lessening letting critters into the house, if you leave it open too long, a skunk can find it's way into your home.

Putting more chicken wire screens on your house lets more air in (higher oil flow), but will also let more of the small insects in too. The result is keeping skunks out by sealing the door, but your letting more insects in the house through more openings.

The way to solve the problem, keep the door functional, watch the skunks if you open it, replace the chicken wire with standard window screen, the occupants of the house are happy inside keeping all the wildlife on the outside.................

I know for a fact if you install 4 full flow filters on your engine you'll still have the sub 20 micron particulate in the oil as the media is just too coarse to take the fine particles out. I'd be willing to bet you'd never want to run your oil for 30-35,000 miles no matter how many full flow filters you have on your engine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No my oil barley see 1000 miles every year and is changed before the car is stored for the winter months. I figure if you can afford these cars, you should be able to change oil anytime you feel the need.

Charles

Old 02-24-2020, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The adapter makes for one more possible place for a oil leak and cuts down on header clearance.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The bypass filters 10-20% of the oil but can magically filter 100% of the sub 15 micron? This thinking seems a little flawed as is the assumption an engine doesn't generate particulate while it's running.

Nothing in this thread is quantifiable either. If someone could say they measured a 70% reduction in engine wear there would be something but is just anecdotal.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
The bypass filters 10-20% of the oil but can magically filter 100% of the sub 15 micron? This thinking seems a little flawed as is the assumption an engine doesn't generate particulate while it's running.

Nothing in this thread is quantifiable either. If someone could say they measured a 70% reduction in engine wear there would be something but is just anecdotal.
There are plenty of studies especially with OTR trucks that have been torn down and wear measured with and without by pass oil filters. No matter whether you happen to believe it or not, there is plenty of scientific data on the net that proves the sub 20 micron particles cause the majority of engine wear.

Cummins has also tested by pass filters and not only do they make engines they also own a filter company that supplies by pass filtration as well as any and all filters for I/C engines. Fleetguard is owned by Cummins, formerly Seymour Filters. You can have any opinion you like even if you have nothing to back it up, it's still a free country.

GM did their own study years ago and it was proven that eliminating particulate down to 5 microns has a huge bearing on engine wear.

The trucking industry alone proves it out that with by pass filtering their engines run a million plus miles without major wear. The trucking industry as well as the federal government use by pass filtering in most if not all of their equipment.

Blackstone Laboratories (Known for oil analyzation) also endorses By pass filtration for extending oil changes as well as minimizing engine wear.

I find it remarkable that someone that has done little to no research on the subject, casts doubts on what efficient oil filtering can and will do as far as longevity and overall engine health. Kind of like me second guessing my physician that studied the subject for 8 years.

The claims are not unsubstantiated, plenty of studies have proven the claims, if you want to look for the information. It's pretty easy to cast doubt when you just sit behind a keyboard and want others to do all the legwork for you.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The bypass filters a small portion of the oil 100% of the time. That makes the rest of the oil available to do its work in the engine. In a fairly short timespan, the bypass filter has, by filtering a small amount of diverted oil, filtered ALL of the oil in the engine. And on and on. If you have the room for a bypass system, there really is no comparison to a normal full-flow filter. A bypass filter system, as stated, is far superior at keeping the oil clean and debris-free, simply because it filters out debris that easily passes through the media in normal full-flow filters. This system has been proven for over 70 years that I know of. The only down-side is that it can look awkward in an engine bay. Cost isn't a factor, as it will pay for itself in saved engine oil over time.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a big believer of bypass oil filters just not in my cars.Tom

Old 02-25-2020, 03:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

But doesn't the oil an engine sees come directly from the full flow oil filter not the bypass?

You are essentially achieving the same results with just regular oil change intervals on a OEM system. Extending oil life makes sense but it seems like a stretch to add reduced engine wear to the list. If using a bypass system comes down to a need to save some money on lubrication/filters I can see value in adding one but I change my oil on my cars every fall either way (for other reasons).

Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The bypass filters a small portion of the oil 100% of the time. That makes the rest of the oil available to do its work in the engine. In a fairly short timespan, the bypass filter has, by filtering a small amount of diverted oil, filtered ALL of the oil in the engine. And on and on. If you have the room for a bypass system, there really is no comparison to a normal full-flow filter. A bypass filter system, as stated, is far superior at keeping the oil clean and debris-free, simply because it filters out debris that easily passes through the media in normal full-flow filters. This system has been proven for over 70 years that I know of. The only down-side is that it can look awkward in an engine bay. Cost isn't a factor, as it will pay for itself in saved engine oil over time.
I'd be interested in any peer reviewed studies for gas engines proving such claims. Diesels have soot to deal with and is less refined than gasoline. Hopefully not 70 years old either as a lot has changed in lubrication and filter properties since the 50's.

Also in your example you suggest the bypass will filter ALL the oil in a short time but the oil will add patriculate while the engine is running so you are only filtering 10% the rest goes back through the engine

Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I'm a big believer of bypass oil filters just not in my cars.Tom
I'm with Tom, I've seen plenty of evidence and oil samples from Blackstone to believe the system does work very well. You just won't find anyone adding it to their classic cars, me included. I don't want all that stuff hanging off a nicely restored car.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the Baldwin by pass systems on the dsl engines in my boat.Using oil annalist we could see much longer oil life in our applications.Tom

Old 02-25-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
But doesn't the oil an engine sees come directly from the full flow oil filter not the bypass?

You are essentially achieving the same results with just regular oil change intervals on a OEM system. Extending oil life makes sense but it seems like a stretch to add reduced engine wear to the list. If using a bypass system comes down to a need to save some money on lubrication/filters I can see value in adding one but I change my oil on my cars every fall either way (for other reasons).
If you have clean oil in the pan (kept clean by the by pass system) the entire amount in a typical engine will see the by pass filter every 5 minutes. There is little need for the full flow filter, as oil isn't contaminated at a rate higher than it is being filtered from the by pass system is cleaning the oil. The sub 20 micron particulate will continue to circulate with only a full flow filter, not be removed the first time it sees the by pass filter.

The whole idea of filtering oil on the pressure side of the pump before it reaches the critical internal components is a very compromised placement for a filter that is supposed to remove 99% of the particulate. It can't be done with coarse media filter to a satisfactory level to keep the oil from becoming abrasive, without throwing mass quantities of oil away as it becomes contaminated.

Most pre 60s Detroit engines didn't even have oil filters as standard equipment. A by pass filter was an extra cost option on most engines. There was no full flow filter filter engineered into the system, just a by pass filter, however it was still a coarse media that filtered only large particles from the oil. This is when the fine media Frantz by pass filter was conceived, and did a much better job of keeping the oil clean and for much longer periods of time because it remove 99% of the contaminants on the first pass.

When Detroit stared offering 5 year 50,000 mile drivetrain warranty's is when engineers knew oil filters could no longer be optional equipment, and some type of filter needed to become standard equipment. Since the full flow was cheap to make it became the standard oil filter system, even though it isn't the ultimate way to clean oil, it's cheap to make. The drawback is because it has to handle a large volume of oil it has to have large pore media which results in only cleaning oil to a certain standard, 20-40 microns typically. The sub 20-40 micron particles are left in the oil to build up and cause damage/wear as they are free to recirculate until the oil is drained.

This is a flawed system, and with a fine pore media by pass filter it is unnecessary to keep subjecting the engine parts to this fine abrasives and contaminants until the owner decides they're going to change oil. A full flow system is a compromised design that is better than no filter at all, but it absolutely cannot remove small particulate from the oil because of coarse media. The media can't be made with smaller pores because it becomes too restrictive and the majority of the oil will be by passed with no filtering action.

A fine pore media will remove virtually all the contaminants on the first pass and is going to pass through the media at least every 10 minutes, or less. It doesn't have to supply internal engine parts with oil so there is no possibility of oil starvation, and 100% of the oil is filtered every pass, there is no by pass valve in a by pass system. This is the exact same design that Detroit used for years if you ordered the optional oil filter on your car. Of course this design is not inexpensive to manufacture, so the cheaper full flow system was designed, driven by accountants watching pennies. Then putting the responsibility of keeping oil clean on the car owner entirely. They would deny an engine warranty claim in a second if the owner let the oil changes get drawn out, causing the oil to turn to sludge.

Letting oil become contaminated at a slow rate is like playing Russian Roulette, never knowing when that bullet is in the chamber for certain. Hoping you are lucky and change the oil before too much damage happens. The damage is happening, you just get to control it by deciding when you change oil. With by pass systems the guess and luck factor are eliminated, all the dangerous abrasives are caught, all the time.

Changing oil frequently is expensive, and there are always some fine abrasives recirculating. As they build, the rate of wear accelerates, and oils ability to keep all internal engine parts happy decreases at a non linear rate. I had a friend that raced late model stock cars that changed oil and filter every night he raced (usually 2 nights a week) changing 20 quarts of racing oil a week plus 2 filters is extremely expensive to head off the accumulation of contaminants/solids, and fuel running on a dirt track. Had he not had Pennzoil as a sponsor I doubt he could have afforded to keep up with that type of a maintenance schedule. Those frequent oil changes allowed him to run an alcohol fueled 800 HP engine easily a full season with zero failures for years. At the end of the season when the engine was freshened it had very minimal wear. With alcohol being the fuel of choice a by pass filter wouldn't have been an advantage because the alcohol gets into the oil. Since no filter will remove it, the only way to keep the oil uncontaminated is to change the oil after each event. There are some racers running alcohol fuel that drain the oil, heat it to 180 degrees for a few hours to evaporate the alcohol out of the oil, then re-use it to keep expenses down.

Full flow systems are a compromise driven by Detroit accountants to have a cheap to manufacture system, and being able to deny warranty claims if the car owner can't show a paper trail to how often oil was changed. Having worked in many dealerships I have seen more than a few warranty claims denied if there is no way to substantiate when the oil changes were performed.

The by pass system was used by car manufactures for decades, but was an extra cost option. When it was deemed necessary to have an oil filter on all engines is when the full flow filter was designed and implemented. By pass filtering is not an untried, unproven, way to filter oil, it was the standard, before full flow systems came about.

On diesels soot is only able to be partially removed by most by pass filters, it is so fine that some of it will remain, but at a benign level. The reason OTR trucks use by pass systems isn't because of the fuel not burning as clean as gasoline, NFG, or propane, it's because they want maximum mileage from their engines by heading off wear, which is done quite well by adding a by pass filter. It has nothing to do with fuels used in an engine, it has to do with removing the solids that cause wear immediately, on the first pass through the filter.

GM, which deals mostly in gasoline engines, did their own studies, and came out with the same results, filtering out 5-15 micron solids decreases wear immensely over a standard full flow system. They stated wear decreases to roughly 33% of an engine using a full flow system. It's recorded, and easy enough to find the results, if you're serious about facts.

Pretending that a full flow system can get the same results as a by pass system is unsubstantiated by people that have tried both alternatives, and proven the by pass system is a much better alternative. The information is out there if you do the digging.

Before I became a dealer for Frantz, I spent 6 months researching if I should invest in a dealership. I feel I've dug up most every pro and con of both systems. Thing is there are few, if any cons of a by pass system, and many cons of a full flow system. The full flow system has nothing over a by pass system that I'm aware of, hard to believe people will argue that the full flow system is superior, when actually the opposite is true......................

After 9 1/2 years of using Frantz by pass filters on gas and diesel vehicles of my own, I will always use a by pass system on my own stuff. I recommend others would consider saving money in the long run, as well as decreasing wear by removing all the fine particulate from their oil. A engine that is well worn at 200,000 miles could run 5-600,000 miles with just an addition of a by pass system, The thing is most people won't ever run a car that far, but the savings on oil will easily pay for a by pass system as well as reduced labor of changing oil and filter many times unnecessarily. Added bonus with less wear internally, the engine stays more efficient because ring seal efficiency is extended. At the point you ever decide to sell, trade, or junk the vehicle in less than an hour the by pass system can be removed and transferred to your next vehicle, because the system isn't engine specific.........

It can be mounted anywhere on the vehicle as long as you run 2, 1/4 inch ID hoses to it it can be out of sight and out of mind if you are opposed to having it under the hood it can be mounted behind the bumper, under the vehicle, in the trunk. Since mine is much smaller than most remote full flow systems it's under the hood on my own cars and trucks.

There is no advantage to use only a full flow filter, but quite a few advantages of using a by pass filter system. Read up thoroughly on the subject as I did, then make your decision.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
GM Study - Influence of Filtration on Engine Wear
AC Delco Division of General Motors tested diesel engines and found an eight-fold improvement in wear rates and engine life with lower lube oil contaminant levels.

In a related study on both diesel and automotive engines, General Motors reported that “compared to a 40-micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50 percent with 30-micron filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70 percent with 15-micron filtration”. Read that again. That's a lot of motivation for clean oil!
Both GM, and SAE have found the exact same correlations between engine wear on gasoline, as well as diesel engines. The fuel is inconsequential, the particulate size being removed from the oil is the key.

Definitive information is out there, you just need to do your research. If after reading the results of scientific studies you dismiss the facts, then that's entirely your decision...............

1984 Grand Prix

Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this was an OTR truck forum I don't think anyone would be hesitant to embrace a bypass filter system.

Just that this kind of wear reduction is fairly moot on a vehicles that will very, very rarely see 100,000 miles in their lifetime, and will probably see 50 oil changes in that time, and where oil/filter change price is not an issue. Heck, half the people here probably enjoy changing the oil on their beloved Pontiacs.

Add in the fact that with obsessive oil changing many of these old engines see way less particulate contamination than would be the case for the engines used in such wear tests as quoted above that were probably daily drivers and recommended oil change intervals. So it's quite possible a properly rebuilt vintage Pontiac engine using a high quality oil, and obsessive oil changing is going to go 150,000 miles .... most of us will be driving daisy up from the ground by then

Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If this was an OTR truck forum I don't think anyone would be hesitant to embrace a bypass filter system.

Just that this kind of wear reduction is fairly moot on a vehicles that will very, very rarely see 100,000 miles in their lifetime, and will probably see 50 oil changes in that time, and where oil/filter change price is not an issue. Heck, half the people here probably enjoy changing the oil on their beloved Pontiacs.

Add in the fact that with obsessive oil changing many of these old engines see way less particulate contamination than would be the case for the engines used in such wear tests as quoted above that were probably daily drivers and recommended oil change intervals. So it's quite possible a properly rebuilt vintage Pontiac engine using a high quality oil, and obsessive oil changing is going to go 150,000 miles .... most of us will be driving daisy up from the ground by then
The first post by the OP as posted in the street section:

Quote:
Bypass oil filter

Anybody know of advantages of a bypass oil filter ? It looks like its just an adapter to relocate filter. Am i missing something?
Just because you don't drive your car, doesn't mean no one does. My GTO has 140,000 miles on it since new, average 9,300 miles per year and never driven in the winter. That's 2 oil changes per year minimum. 50 oil changes at $25 per change (probably a low estimate) $1250, a by pass filter pays for itself in extended oil changes in about 4 years, never wears out, can easily be transferred to any gas or diesel vehicle.

The by pass oil filter came onto the scene in the early to late 50s at that time there were very few diesel OTR trucks, mostly gassers. They were sold primarily to the public for use on automobiles, (not OTR trucks), to minimize wear when the cars engine was worn out at less than 100,000 miles, many times less than that.

All the opponents always say they can change oil once a year, which is true. They fail to take into consideration how much wear is saved by removing all the solids from the oil. Just think of how many muscle cars have rebuilt engines on this site, and a good majority never saw 60,000 miles, a 100,000 mile original GTO engine in pristine shape would be scarce as hens teeth on this board.

Tell me why these engines seldom see 50,000 miles before needing rebuilt, many a helluva a lot less than that. How many are freshened up periodically after 8-10 years?

One other thing, the OP never even mentioned that his car was a low mile classic, everyone assumes that's what he asked about. He could be asking about his daily driver for all anyone knows, or he could drive his car 10,000 miles a year or more, Virginia doesn't get much salt on their roads.

Dataway, you and I have been down this road before, and I'm fully aware of what position you have about using a by pass filter on any of your cars. You dismissed it because you think it would be foolish in your situation, that's fine for you. Using by pass oil filter technology works out just fine for me, because I drive my cars as far as is reasonable. My lowest mileage car has 106,000 on it, the highest is ready to roll 300,000 miles since we bought it new. I have 2 diesel light duty one ton trucks, a medium duty IH 7.3 truck, and 3 gasoline cars. I'm not looking to throw oil away just because it's got a mediocre oil filter on it. Going years instead of months between oil changes saves a lot of money when you have a fleet like I do, plus I greatly reduce engine wear, as the GM study says, "8 fold".

FWIW, I don't own even one OTR truck, but I have driven 18 wheelers for a living for 7 years. I've been a professional mechanic most of my life (67 YO) so I've seen first hand what poor oil filtration can do to an engine whether it's in a 18 wheeler, or in a dirt track stock car, and everything in between gas, diesel, propane, construction equipment, to boats. There isn't any example that you can come up with that wouldn't benefit from using a by pass filter system in any I/C engine. Every engine will run longer and have less wear with a by pass oil filter. The oil changes can safely be extended many times over the recommended spec of the OEM system.

If you really feel the need to lay under your classic it doesn't have to be done only at oil changes, it can be done at anytime you feel the need. Most all older Pontiacs have grease fittings on them, and should be greased at 3,000 miles, so you can lay under it while greasing the chassis, one of my first jobs while in Vo Tech in 1970 was working at a Pontiac dealer on the grease rack, well versed in greasing Pontiac chassis.

One other fact that is probably little known, is that the Frantz oil filter is the only by pass oil filter ever certified for use by the FAA in reciprocating piston engine airplanes. The certification has expired due to the company changing hands multiple times, none of the owners bothered to renew the certification, but from my own research no other by pass filter has ever been certified for use in airplanes. Don't forget that airplanes fall into the same category as classic muscle cars, and after 100 hours (6,000 miles) are torn down inspected by a certified technician, and whatever is worn, is changed out or repaired. At 2000 hours (120,000 miles) the entire engine is pulled and replaced with another refurbished unit. Minimizing wear is of utmost importance in airplane engines because pulling over to the side of the road after an engine issue isn't an option.

Minimizing wear in any engine should be a priority, but it seems many here feel no need to help their investments run longer, and better, by just changing from a mediocre compromised oil filter system, to a much better by pass filter system. ...................

Pretty sure the OP has gotten more information than he asked for, hopefully he can make an informed decision from information discussed here.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-25-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

Really like this idea these of that Black adapter price attached t the OEM filter body.
Is this a home made piece or available via SUMMIT or somewhere ?

Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I certainly appreciate your devotion to the technology and would never suggest it wouldn't be great for a daily driver.

What about the use of a typical full flow filter that filters down to a smaller size? Would that present a decent compromise between a full by-pass system and the typical OEM filter? Yes it would totally bypass under some conditions, but it would hopefully lower the average particulate size in the oil supply.

Last edited by dataway; 02-26-2020 at 12:20 AM.