Old 02-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Radio harness

Does anyone know if there is a new harness available to plug in an am/fm radio to the dash harness? Mine is gone. Thanks

Old 02-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

should be some on ebay for very cheap, i got a couple for a 2nd gen firebird for ubder $10 shipped.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I recall there are two connectors to the radio.. one is larger and has pins for speakers. The other is smaller and provides power. I remember the smaller one being inexpensive and readily available but the larger is harder to find and costs more. I do not think the "correct" large connector is reproduced. The smaller actually "stacks" onto the larger one.

I think this is an example of what you are looking for and I think this price is typical for used on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1...cAAOSw54NeTtdu

Old 02-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

shiny has the right feel for the plug you need

the chevelle plug is quite a bit different but the way they work together is the same
the chevelle one looks to have a partial rear speaker fader harness t oo

here is a 68 pontiac 3 prong horizontal plug yellow is power green and black front speaker/main plug

then the 69 went vertical with the speaker plugging into the power plug ... kinda opposite in all ways from 68

here is a picture ..with the speaker the small outer plug and the power and ground and rear speaker in first.

Scott

fairly sure the 69 plug is A B F body cars 69-72 maybe 73 74

I have seen them in clear... brown... and black plastic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230723.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	532811   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230724.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	532812   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230726.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	532813  

Old 02-24-2020, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the help and pictures everyone. Looks as if I’ll need to source a good used one.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Delco made a kit too. Were like $10. I have a few, it comes with a pack of crimps that push in the 3 plugs that come in the kit.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the whole harness..all of it repopped and pretty reasonable...some dude hand makes them, he does runs and when he sells out he will do more..this guy also refurbishes harnesses etc...i dont know him, but ive bought his stuff..he seems to be a real good guy..very knowledgeable too

he is on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/themrgrandp...p2047675.l2562

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-25-2020, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I think a used/refurbished set is probably your only option but you could also use discrete wires and pins if you were motivated.

I could not find a source for new/repro 5-pin connector housings that mate with this connector on the stereo radio:

The mating 5-pin housings are usually expensive on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-CAMARO...cAAOSwwp9duITZ

It wasn't clear what was missing from your car but if only the 3-pin "power connector" and not the 5-pin "speaker connector" you might be in a better place for finding used housings/harnesses.

The brass pins are standard and available new for male and female so you can renew yourself (replace pins and wires) if you have the connector housings. You could also just use pins and discrete wires to the radio connector (ie no housing) if you were hell-bent on function at low cost.

The "pass-through" pins that allow the "piggyback" power connector to plug into the 5-pin housing are NOT readily available. These are weird parts but allowed the use of a standard power connector (the piggyback) with multiple radios.

The seller linked by Marxjunk is a good source for refurbished parts. I don't think he has any "correct" basic (non-8-track) harnesses listed now but you could contact him to see if he would build one for you.

I bought some of the "pass-through" pins from him to rebuild my harness. They allow the "piggyback" power connector to plug into the 5-pin housing. These pins are also not easy to find so seem to be a used-only item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-USED-DELC...gAAOSwU1FZ-RVt

You could also call S&M (Turnswitch) and see if they could help. They were awesome for me when I needed some used parts:

http://www.turnswitch.com/feedback.htm

If I recall correctly, the front speaker wire comes out of the 5-pin connector and the rear speaker, dial light power, and 12V radio power are all in the "piggyback" connector housing. The grounds including the speakers are through the chassis. There is a separate blue? wire harness that runs under the carpet to the rear speaker.

Not sure what year/radio you are working on but if it is a 70-72 non-stereo AM/FM or 71-72 AM/FM/Stereo (no separate multiplexer) the wiring is really this simple..

Here is an AM/FM diagram from my 70 book that I think should be the same for 71-72 AM/FM/Stereo. It shows the 5-pin connector, 3-pin "piggyback" connector, and the separate rear speaker wire (harness):

More complicated if you have a 70 AM/FM/Stereo or 8-track I'm sure!

And I'm still baffled why Pontiac had left and right stereo channels going front to back instead... slow to change but must have been weird listening to left and right source channels coming from the wrong places!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_224633 (2).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	533010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-25_101831 (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	533011