Old 02-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil ???

Been a while sine I had to break in a new build. Been looking around for a break in oil that was readily available locally. I came across Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil which is supposed to have 1300 ppm of zinc. Any thouights on this ???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 02-26-2020, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the zinc amount on the bottle? Reason I ask is because published data could be stale or inaccurate due to relatively frequent changes in the oil industry

Old 02-26-2020, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know you are looking for something available local, but I think I might take an extra two days and order a purpose built break in oil from Amazon or something.

I mean you only break in a cam once. There are no do-overs.

Also as Formulas said, Ive also spent a fair amount of my time down the internet rabbit hole looking at oil SDSs. They change all the time and are often hard to pin down or provide incomplete information. At the end of the day I just sorta determined the black magic of it isn't worth the $9 extra dollars you save by not buying a specialty oil for whatever your needs are.

You also might be able to order a break in oil from a local parts store. Might be faster, and not have to pay for shipping. Worth asking the question anyway. Also, if nothing else I know the auto parts stores usually carry the bottles of zinc additive. I personally would prefer a purpose break in oil, but its another option.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice. Thanks !!!

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 02-26-2020, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not on the bottle, it's linked on Mobil 1's website.

The attachment is current as of October 2019. The 5W40 Turbo Diesel version is at the bottom of page 4 with 1100 PPM Phosphorous and 1300 PPM zince, 15W50 is at the bottom of page 3 with 1200 PPM P and 1300 PPM Z,

Three other oils to consider are Mobil 1 0W40 (bottom of page 2) and Mobil 1 FS X2 5W50 and Mobil 1 Formula M 5W40 (top of page 3) with 1000 PPM P and 1100 PPM Z.

Mobil 1 updates this frequently on their website.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...r-oil-products

How did I get from the website to the chart?

From the link provided, I clicked on 15W50 under the Mobil 1 oils in row 2, far right side (I've been using this oil for years in my GTO as I know it has the highest ZDDP level), this takes you to a page specifically on 15W50 and then on that page's description I clicked on:

Quote:
Please refer to the Mobil 1™ Product Guide for a quick look at key manufacturer approvals and info on the zinc and phosphorus levels for Mobil 1 15W-50.
And that takes you to the full listing of every Mobil 1 product.

All that said, I used a specialty break in oil on my motor before going to Mobil 1 as RocktimusPryme recommended.

But I wanted something that I could buy locally at a reasonable price for ongoing use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobil-1-product-guide-rev-31.pdf (122.8 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by The Champ; 02-26-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Out of curiosity if you buy a specific break in oil, how does that differ from a normal high zinc flat tappet formula in the additive package? Do break in oils just have even more zinc and phosphorous or is the package more in depth than that.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you dont need to use a specialty break in oil... use the specific cam break in additive from comp or crane etc that makes any oil a break in oil. nothing wrong with buying a high zinc oil like a diesel oil, but when you use the cam break in additives they have everything thats needed for cam break in. there is more to oil than just zddp, lots of other additives contribute to what an oil does or a break in additive.

i would not suggest buying some random zinc additive at a auto parts store where you have no clue whats in it or if its sufficient for initial break in.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Out of curiosity if you buy a specific break in oil, how does that differ from a normal high zinc flat tappet formula in the additive package? Do break in oils just have even more zinc and phosphorous or is the package more in depth than that.
Rock

I'm confused.... I was agreeing with what you posted earlier:

Quote:
You also might be able to order a break in oil from a local parts store.
As I posted, I used a specialty break in oil (as opposed to regular oil) for break in. Many companies market "break in oils" specifically for initial break in.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...eak%20in%20oil

Maybe I wasted my money, but for a one time cost similar to that of my regular high ZDDP oil, I thought it was worthwhile.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've been told the additive package is quite a bit different when asking about the Amsoil version. It's more than just the cam you are breaking in. Several other high pressure areas in the engine like rockers and pushrods and piston skirts. I was also told that they also promote a faster ring seat during the first few minutes. I got further confirmation of that I mention below from a very well known and successful engine builder. I'd be willing to bet the Comp and Brad Penn break in oils that I've also used are pretty similar.

Interesting tidbit that my father got from Tony Bischoff. He stated that he prefers to use the Amsoil break in oil, compared to others, he got faster ring seat with Amsoil break in oil than any other break in oil he's tried.

While you may get away with your own concoction, at the end of the day I agree with Rock, I find it's not really worth it when there are good products on the market specific for this process, and it's really not that much money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used M1 TDT in my old Pontiacs but mostly use Brad Penn. BP also has a nice break in oil.

That aside, keep in mind that even "back in the day" before ZDDP reductions became an issue, Nunzi and other top Pontiac engine builders highly recommended a break in additive (GM EOS at the time) which should tell you something about relying solely on a modern oil regardless of the claimed ZDDP levels.

I realize GM EOS has been reformulated and I am not currently up to date on its changes, but only mention it as an example to illustrate a point.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

I used Brad Penn. no problems.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Rock

I'm confused.... I was agreeing with what you posted earlier:

As I posted, I used a specialty break in oil (as opposed to regular oil) for break in. Many companies market "break in oils" specifically for initial break in.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...eak%20in%20oil

Maybe I wasted my money, but for a one time cost similar to that of my regular high ZDDP oil, I thought it was worthwhile.
I’m not changing anything from my previous statement. I personally would spend a few extra bucks to buy a specific purpose oil.

I was just thinking out loud. Specifically what is the difference between a high zinc oil. Say a Z Rod from Amsoil. And an oil that is marketed as a “Break In” oil

Old 02-26-2020, 12:31 PM
Boost Engineer

I bought a quantity of 15W40 diesel oil many years ago that was a "SE oil". (gallon jugs)
It had 1300 ppm of zinc in the oil. Very happy with that oil with flat tappet camshafts.

Glad to see that there is today a diesel oil (15W50) that has the same properties.

Thanks for the information.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at that Mobil TD oil again. It's fully synthetic. All those Mobil oils look to be FS. What's the current thinking about breaking in with fully synthetic oil? Still a no-no?

I'm going to use VR1 conventional 10W30 for my HR break-in. Then I'll adjust viscosity if needed if oil pressures aren't where I want them, after the rings seat. Which will be a challenge because it's hard to find a high zinc 10W40 or 5W40 oil. 15W40 is marginal and 20W50 is too thick for my application. Thin ring packs and HR lifters (like I'm using) like thin-ish oil.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 02-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
Look at that Mobil TD oil again. It's fully synthetic. All those Mobil oils look to be FS. What's the current thinking about breaking in with fully synthetic oil? Still a no-no?

I'm going to use VR1 conventional 10W30 for my HR break-in. Then I'll adjust viscosity if needed if oil pressures aren't where I want them, after the rings seat. Which will be a challenge because it's hard to find a high zinc 10W40 or 5W40 oil. 15W40 is marginal and 20W50 is too thick for my application. Thin ring packs (like I'm using) like thin oil.
If that's how you feel then I would for sure use a proper break in oil, since they come in any viscosity you prefer, and are designed for ring seating.

If nothing else it'll give you some piece of mind.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, in short, it looks like the VR 10W30 is similar to a break in oil. Conventional base with high zinc/moly/phos numbers and lower detergent. It gets good ratings on the wear charts everybody likes to bandy about when discussing oils. And 10W30 will flow easily and is a good baseline to judge cold and hot oil pressures on a new engine. I could run synthetic after break in, but Total Seal said the AP rings would benefit from using high zinc hotrod style oil after they seat. HR lifters DGAF about high zinc if RPM and/or spring pressures aren't excessive.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 02-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
Well, in short, it looks like the VR 10W30 is similar to a break in oil. Conventional base with high zinc/moly/phos numbers and lower detergent. It gets good ratings on the wear charts everybody likes to bandy about when discussing oils. And 10W30 will flow easily and is a good baseline to judge cold and hot oil pressures on a new engine.
I'm sure it'll probably treat you fine. Can always dump a bottle of EOS in there if you're still concerned.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

so does nobody use the specific additives for cam break in? doesn't adding these to a good off the shelf oil make it a break in oil just as good as the overpriced break in oils being marketed out there lately?? i have broken in or helped with break in on a few cams over the years & just used the comp additive & a name brand oil with no issues at all...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...eak%20in%20oil

Old 02-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are surely more than one ways to skin a cat, but how much do you really save there with the additive? I just bought a 6 pack of Jegs break in oil for $6 each. My engine guy also could have gotten me the Joe Gibbs stuff for the same price if I wanted to pay shipping. So that stuff is essentially the cost of 2 quarts of break in oil, and that's assuming you buy $100 worth of stuff so you don't have to pay $9.99 in shipping from Summit. Its more expensive on Amazon.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There are surely more than one ways to skin a cat, but how much do you really save there with the additive? I just bought a 6 pack of Jegs break in oil for $6 each. My engine guy also could have gotten me the Joe Gibbs stuff for the same price if I wanted to pay shipping. So that stuff is essentially the cost of 2 quarts of break in oil, and that's assuming you buy $100 worth of stuff so you don't have to pay $9.99 in shipping from Summit. Its more expensive on Amazon.
how much do you save? the comp stuff is $11, the crane is $8 for a single bottle. most break in oils are ~$7-$10/qt for a name brand. granted they arent that expensive, but when you can buy a 5 gallon jug of a decent oil for about $16-20 (cheaper on sale or rebates) & add a bottle of the cam additive, it is cheaper & probably as good or better than most break in oils. with a decent oil of ~800-900ppm zddp & average moly & other additive levels, adding a bottle of real cam break in additive likely has a lot more of the good stuff than a bottle of jegs break in oil.

but its not really about price, it just seems a lot easier to buy a single bottle of a specific additive that will boost a normal oil to be as good or better than a break in oil that can be somewhat hard to find or require paying for shipping. most people doing a cam break in dont "have a guy" to get $6/qt break in oil. & you dont have to buy $100 of stuff, you can buy off amazon for $50 of stuff to get free shipping or $0 of stuff if you have prime... or go to pep boys & some other parts stores for the same price as summit, or ebay for a few bucks more.

just curious why nobody on this thread considers the break in additives.

Last edited by 78w72; 02-26-2020 at 04:55 PM.