THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Ebay Buyer Rip off Method

New scam on Ebay, at least to me. Been selling a few parts and shop tools, etc since I retired and have been cleaning up the back room. I posted an older OTC Fuel Injector Cleaning Kit on Ebay, sold it, no big deal right?

Wrong. The buyer keeps in for 28 days, then bitches that one of the hoses was rotten and the kit is not useable. Returns it for a full refund. Ebay is telling me even before I get it back to issue a "Full Refund", but I wait till the item shows up.

The kit shows up, one manifold is missing, quick disconnect for the gauge line missing, it's been dismantled, used and several other items missing.

I email the buyer and he's ya, I forgot that some of the items were in my top tool box drawer, but if you want them back you'll have to issue me a FULL refund and pay the shipping.

WTF? I told him NO REFUND until the missing parts are returned. I file a complaint with Ebay minutes after his message, they find in my favor. Two days later the customer files a complaint and they reverse the decision and find in the buyers favor.

I appeal and win, but he gets to keep the items and got all his money back under Ebays "Buyer Protection Program". From the instant the sale was made the buyer (IMHO) saw specific items in the kit and planned on removing and keeping them, plus used Ebays policy to keep the kit 28 days and use as needed.

Intenional or not, Ebay gave him back all his money and he got to keep the items. I won the final appeal, but still haven't had any money returned to my bank and not even sure how much I'm getting. I'm probably going to be out the shippiing for sure, and probably the 16 percent sales fees, plus I got back a kit that is now USELESS with critical items missing from it.

What a SCAM!........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That really sucks Cliff, Sadly eBay has deteriorated into just another online flea market with way too many sheitbirds. I used to buy and sell a bunch there but rarely do much anymore. Wanna share the loser's information so we can avoid him in the future? Or maybe do the same to him if has items for sale? I am a firm believer in an eye for an eye, otherwise losers never learn the lessons they missed as youngsters

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

That bites.. Be sure you list all information in the user feedback. At least that way others will be able to see the truth and may be able to avoid same happening to them..

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Yep, dont get me started on ebay, i have my hands full with marketplace scammers... kinda make me miss craigslist serial killers...

Peter

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Issues such a this are why I dumped eBay in 2017 - after the Great Recession there was a hard shift towards the buyer in disputes.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry to hear that. I sell on there frequently and have found myself dreading the process after several scams buyers have tried.

My last one was a guy who bought some new paint gun related parts. He received the item then apparently ripped a small hole in the box and said he received an empty box. I sent him pics of how the items were boxed a second time inside the outer box and that inside box was taped to the outer box so it couldn’t move. He still files a claim. eBay told me I had to accept and pay for his return (of an empty box) and credit him the money. I appealed and sent my shipping pics and pics of the parts that could not fit though the tiny hole he showed in the pics. They agreed with me after a phone conversation. He then appealed and they sided with him. Future emails and calls with eBay just had me going in circles. I finally “won” because he didn’t see that he had a deadline to ship.

To make matters worse. My eBay seller history shows I’ve had no issues and a 100% rating. His showed that he was never a seller but had previous claims against sellers for “items not received”.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear that Cliff, I stopped selling on eBay a number of years ago and that was one of the reasons, I had a buyer say they never received an item, even though there was delivery confirmation. It was a cheap item under $30 total, but they awarded a full refund to the buyer, and even after I protested the ruling remained the same. Soured me on the site. I still sometimes buy from them, but I never will sell on them again.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ebay needs to establish a sellers protection plan from the sounds of it.

A good friend of mine worked at Lowe's for years till retiring recently. He told me that every time a big storm came thru and knocked out power for a week or so they sold a butt-load of chainsaws, generators, even wood splitters. He said that many got returned after the clean-up and Lowe's takes them back no questions asked. Pretty sad, but there are folks out there that use these sort of policies to their advantage......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Ebay needs to establish a sellers protection plan from the sounds of it.

A good friend of mine worked at Lowe's for years till retiring recently. He told me that every time a big storm came thru and knocked out power for a week or so they sold a butt-load of chainsaws, generators, even wood splitters. He said that many got returned after the clean-up and Lowe's takes them back no questions asked. Pretty sad, but there are folks out there that use these sort of policies to their advantage......
My brother told me that the big box store where he used to work as a student back then , they obviously got tons of refurns after christmas , but not unwanted presents mostly pots and pans that people bought just to cook and entertain family gatherings

Many of those pots still had turkey stuck to the bottom. 🤣

There should be a test to pass in order to qualify to make babies...

People

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sorry for that entire experience, Cliff. Everything seems to be a scam no matter who you deal with. Just today, I get my credit card statement. I shipped 2 head gaskets a couple weeks ago Fed-Ex. $34.40 approx. I thought it was a little steep for a flat cardboard package that weighed 2 lbs. My credit card was charged $66.80! I call customer service in Pakistan, and they read off a list of 8 additional charges, each $3.00-4.00 additional. Then the woman says, "obviously you didn't read the fine print on your receipt". It does state the $34.40 was just an estimate and the final charge could be less or more. I have had a commercial account for over 10 years. As of 2 hours ago, it's closed. How in the hell can you do business like this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

eBay left me hanging on a sale refunded the guys money before parts ever got back to me and let’s say not packaged like it was when it left. The buyer wanted to keep the parts at a lesser price I told him no ship it back then eBay pulled that crap. Never sold another item on eBay never will.