Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default anyone familiar with old honda kick start issues

I bought a 1982 honda XR200R with a broken kick starter, I guess there was a weak spot on these bikes from 1980-84. You have to split the case to get to the gears, I did and I got new of all that was damaged, I put it all back together and it works, but every once in a while the kicker will slip 1/2 way through and I am afraid I'm going to damage something., The thing is, I bought the bike taken apart some of the way, and although mostly self explanatory there was a eccentric of sorts, cam , It was the last part that went onto the kick shaft before putting the side cover on. It controls a compression release cable. I guessed as to how it went, so the first question is, anyone know how it gets positioned? anyone have any manuals? I am wondering if its the problem,or part of the problem, Also it seems that people all say the proper way to start the bike is to first kick the starter gently past the compression stroke, then re engage the starter and kick it. This makes no sense to me why you would do that with a compression release. The way the part in question is installed the compression release does seem to work as it should but maybe at the wrong time? just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone can enlighten me before I screw up what Iv'e done. its a great fun bike and I want to make it right. there is a small line on the cam part in question and its probably to be positioned lined up with something. Thanks ahead of time for any help or photos. I searched the net and cant find anything specific.