THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't consider 50,000 miles enough to determine much about a car.

But then, I don't replace cars very often. I typically buy a car and drive it for 8 - 10 years and 125,000 - 225,000 miles.

Just traded in my '06 Pontiac Torrent that I bought new with 129,000 miles. In the first 100,000 miles I had one repair ($300.00 AC repair) beside tires, plugs, shocks, struts and fluids.

I have 202,000 miles on my company car (2011 Impala) and the only non routine repair has been the gas pedal fuel sensor.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the way you have owned these cars is the way they were intended. Own them a few years and get rid of them around 50K. My fathers Azera was great for year 1. Year 2 it needed new tires at 27,000 miles. Really? Worn down to the cords. Lots of electronic gear failed that year, in and out of the dealer half a dozen times. Year 3 had about 35K miles on it, brake pads, and rotors all around, front lower ball joints, right front strut leaking. More electronic gear failed, tilt steering column made a terrible rubbing noise every time you turned the wheel. 4 of the 8 ways of the drivers power seat failed, both power window motors in the rear failed. All just aggravating stuff on a car that was supposed to compete and beat a Mercedes S class and a 5 series BMW. He passed away shortly after and this 3 year old 35,000 dollar car sold at the estate auction for $4500.00. It had just turned 40K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I've owned 4 Hyundais ... XG 300, Azera, Sonata Turbo (290HP) and I am back into an Azera again. All have been great cars and Imput 50,000 trouble free miles on each one before trading. The XG300 got brakes and tires, Azera1 got 4 tires, Sonata Turbo got front tires. Azera2 has 20K miles. Maintenance costs? Just tired, gas, oil and filters. Dealer always provides a loaner but the cars have never been in the dealership long enough to warrant one.

I am a big fan of Hyundai.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You thought this thread would die.....

2018 Kia Stinger GT by the Numbers (http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...y-the-numbers/)

vvvvv One of the guys in Bahrain took delivery and went to the track. The times speak for themselves
Attachment 214553 (http://www.ssforums.com/forum/attach...inger-gt-1.jpg)

Just Saying.... GM, get your sheet together !

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Suspended

Odd, I never heard about this car and a friend of mine is the head Kia mechanic at a Kia dealer. I will say this much about Hyundai/Kia, they are heads over anything GM could think about putting out these days.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
You thought this thread would die.....

2018 Kia Stinger GT by the Numbers (http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...y-the-numbers/)

vvvvv One of the guys in Bahrain took delivery and went to the track. The times speak for themselves
Attachment 214553 (http://www.ssforums.com/forum/attach...inger-gt-1.jpg)

Just Saying.... GM, get your sheet together !
Are you asking GM to take over 300 HP out of the CTS-V or over 100 HP out of the ATS-V?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Are you asking GM to take over 300 HP out of the CTS-V or over 100 HP out of the ATS-V?
No, I think he meant that GM needs to get their sheet together.

(Won't happen in my lifetime)

Old 12-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

I dont know. Different cars for different people I suppose.

Looks to me like the just took a genisis coupe and added two more doors, or took a genisis sedan and added a sporty body - both cars being to big to get any love from the younger car scene. Im not sure people even talk about the genisis coupe. The crunchy old 240sx seems to get way more love.

The ft86 gets a little love, but its odd with its boxer, and punished by sales of the better price for what ya get vs the wrx.

Seems to me only BMW knows how to make a small coupe, and with the lux crap added to that price tag, dont expect them to rule any scene short of sewickley town or fox chapel around these parts..

They just arent speaking the langauge that needs to spoken to get a new generation of car enthusiasts heart racing; light, fast, cheap.

I predict Stinger sales to be slightly better than Miata, G8, and Genisis sales - you may see one on a city commute from time to time. Probably mistake it for some sort of large RX8 - another car that the 2% of performance cars buyers dont want.

Just my opinion

Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4birds View Post
KIA? Muscle? ROFLMAO!

It's still a KIA.

They are only good for transporting GIANT RATS!

Just MY opinion.
My thoughts too.

You could make a list of reasons and excuses on here on why GM killed off Pontiac and then scratch your head wondering why these same issues won’t apply to Kia.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...undai-genesis/

Moving more of the chassis? - global car Im sure.

Moving Kia in to a higher price range maybe?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine in the auto business got ahold of a Stinger and I had a chance to drive it. My impression is that it would be a great car, if you didn’t know any better. What I mean by that is, if someone was driving a pedestrian vehicle like a Camry or a Honda Accord, they’d probably think “what a great car”. It did seem to have decent power and handled good. But for someone like myself that has always had performance vehicles, it feels like they are trying to reach that level but come up short. I’m not judging, as I feel it’s great that they are trying. But when I see one of these so called reviews saying that BMW better watch out, then I have to chuckle. We just traded our 335i in for an X4 M4.0i and both vehicles blow it out of the water. Even with the X4 being an SUV. Sure they cost more, but again getting back to the “look out, BMW” thing. I believe that they promote that statement to people who may not afford or want to spend the money on a Bimmer, but want to feel good about their purchase. So if that’s their marketing ploy, then whatever. It’s been done before.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I won't buy an import EVER. Fact is, I hate them all!

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 12-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine bought a car recently with a loan from his credit union - they gave him a check in the amount of the loan.

Stamped prominently on the face of the check was:

"NOT VALID FOR ANY KOREAN BUILT AUTOMOBILES."

Old 12-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
I won't buy an import EVER. Fact is, I hate them all!
This comment makes me LMAO and it was obviously typed on a computer made in the US. Wait! What????

Hyundai/Kia has spent billions on new facilities in the US while GM spent billions in China.

The most American made vehicles are the Camry and the F150 while the GM's are made in China and Mexico.

I would rather own a Kia that puts food on American worker's plates than buy a GM product that only lines executive's pockets and put food on Chinese worker's plates.

You sir need to open your closed-minded eyes and see what is really going on out there.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with their vehicles if you know exactly what you want and what you are getting. I'd say that it's the name, not the product nowadays that keeps certain people from buying. Their product solution for the NA market has always been entry level. Call them crap, but if you need to get to your damn job or are looking for a job and you have a family and you need wheels then you get one, or something like it. I know, I've been there.

South Korea is an amazing place, by the way. To visit.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Hyundai/Kia has spent billions on new facilities in the US while GM spent billions in China.

The most American made vehicles are the Camry and the F150 while the GM's are made in China and Mexico.

I would rather own a Kia that puts food on American worker's plates than buy a GM product that only lines executive's pockets and put food on Chinese worker's plates.

You sir need to open your closed-minded eyes and see what is really going on out there.
You are being pretty bold with your words there. And not to many facts either.

GM has spent an additional BILLION dollars on U.S. auto plants in 2017 alone and ADDED an additional 7,000 jobs to the largest auto industry workforce in the United States.

That increase in U.S. jobs alone is more than Hyundai employs:

Quote:
Hyundai may be a Korean company, but overhalf the cars we sell in the U.S. are made in the U.S. We have a technologically sophisticated manufacturing facility in Montgomery, Alabama, engineering facilities in Michigan, plus design, research, and testing grounds in California. All of which provides around 5,000 jobs for American automotive workers.
Hyundai sold 622,000 vehicles in the U.S. in 2016. There sales are down nearly 13% this year. So for round numbers, that means they imported 310,000 - based on the companies own words above..

Meanwhile, GM has imported a total of about 45,000 vehicles this year - out of nearly 2.7 million.

As to the "most American made:

Quote:
The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, Ford F-150 and Chevy Corvette rank as the top most American-made car models, according to the 2017 Kogod Made in America Auto Index. The Enclave, Acadia and Traverse tied for first, with the Ford F-150 and Corvette ranked second and third, respectively.

The Kogod Index incorporates American Automotive Labeling Act (AALA) data in its calculation and additional data points, including:

″ Profit Margin: Location of the automaker's global headquarters
″ Labor: Location of assembly
″ Research & Development: Location of R&D activities
″ Engine and Transmission: Location of production
″ Inventory, Capital and Other Expenses: Location of assembly
″ Body, Interior, Chassis, Electrical, and Other: Location of production
At least you were right about the F150...

Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
You are being pretty bold with your words there. And not to many facts either.

GM has spent an additional BILLION dollars on U.S. auto plants in 2017 alone and ADDED an additional 7,000 jobs to the largest auto industry workforce in the United States.

That increase in U.S. jobs alone is more than Hyundai employs:

Hyundai sold 622,000 vehicles in the U.S. in 2016. There sales are down nearly 13% this year. So for round numbers, that means they imported 310,000 - based on the companies own words above..

Meanwhile, GM has imported a total of about 45,000 vehicles this year - out of nearly 2.7 million.

As to the "most American made:

At least you were right about the F150...
LOL

You need to stop reading that GM propaganda and get with the real facts.

GM > https://www.wsj.com/articles/general...cts-1429457701

Hyundai/Kia > https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...arch/96779920/

Toyota > https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/09/toyo...ive-years.html

Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

52 g,s for a Kia? I would think a 485hp scat pack charger would work. Cheaper too.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
LOL

You need to stop reading that GM propaganda and get with the real facts.

GM > https://www.wsj.com/articles/general...cts-1429457701

Hyundai/Kia > https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...arch/96779920/

Toyota > https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/09/toyo...ive-years.html
I think you need to understand that GM is one of top manufacturers in China. They sold over 328,000 units in China in August, which gets them up to 2,381,834 for the year. In order to sell that many cars in China - they need to invest.

So Hyundai/Kia is expecting to spend $3.1 Billion - BY 2021. GM spent $1 Billion this year - which you need to add to all the other infrastructure they built over the last 100 years.

Toyota's $10 billion is over the next 5 years.

That combined $13.1 Billion is still a fraction of what GM has invested in their U.S facilities.

GM has more employees in the U.S than Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hyudai/Kia combined.

In other words, GM puts a lot more food on the table for American auto industry employees than you seem to think:

Quote:
Your thoughts are what "Fake News" is made of.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Suspended

LOL! Okay, if you say so.

At least I provided proof.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You know their considering a V8 version for the Stinger, here is an article I read 2 weeks ago, published in GoAutoNews, which is a weekly round up of all things Auto in the new car community,
down under. I work for Holden, and now that we are no longer building the rwd commodore, I can see buyers looking at these Stingers, they do look good, nice lines.

KIA continues to dangle the prospect
of an even more powerful version of
its Stinger sports tourer to sit above
the twin-turbocharged V6 GT with its
272kW of power and 510Nm of torque.
Last week, Kia Motors Australia
(KMAu) chief operating officer Damien
Meredith told journalists that he
assumed Stinger’s development “won’t
stop with a V6 turbo”.
His comment follows similar hints by
Hyundai Motor Group executive vicepresident