Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "occasionally" working speedometer?

I had reported about 8 years ago that the speedometer was not working on my 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville. I assumed it was the cable and had asked what was the best way to change it. Well, I could not get to it from under the dash, as I could not fit my hand up in there and I have not wanted to remove the dash trim panel to gain access that way, so I have dealt with no speedometer for years now, but I really dont drive the car all that much, but its a "fall-back" car to drive when one of my others is messed up.

Well to make a longer story not as long, the other day when coming home I noticed the speedometer was working, which was the first time I had ever seen the needle move, but it would not go over 25 mph. Sometimes it would go up and down though. It will still occasionally work (it didnt at all today), but wont go over say 15 mph in general. Someone said it sounds like the end of the speedometer cable may be worn out. ??

Does it sound like it could still be a cable issue or something with the speedometer itself? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

90% the cable. There is a square end on the cable that goes to the speedo and the tranny. If one side (or both) gets worn out, then you will have none or intermittent speedo. Easy way to check one side is under the car on drivers side toward rear of tranny (might be under crossmember) remove the speedo cable and look at the connector and the cable. Also there is a plastic gear in the tail end of the tranny that twists the cable when moving.

The plastic gear might be gone. Or stuck.

When you get the cable off, have someone sit in the car. You spin the cable and see if the needle moves. 50% of the problem is eliminated.

HTH,
Dave

The Burb Files
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Dave. I have a replacement cable somewhere. I just need to try to replace it I guess. I tried getting my hand up under there to unhook it from the speedometer, but I cant get it to fit. I may have to remove the instrument cluster.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I had to remove the entire cluster. The worst part, if it is the cable, is getting it out of the firewall.

Good luck

The Burb Files
Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
Yeah, I had to remove the entire cluster. The worst part, if it is the cable, is getting it out of the firewall.

Good luck
Thanks. I had tried to fiddle with it some of other day... the knobs like on the headlights and wipers, etc dont seem to want to budge so I can get the face panel off... any tricks to that?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the knobs just pull off. The nuts underneath them take some finesse. The wiper nut can be taken off with a thin pair of needle nose pliers as well os the light switch nut. Then the switches should come out the back.

OR

You might want to lay tour legs over the seat and put your head under the dash. tight squeeze, but to remove the cable and see if that is the issue might be easier.

Dave

The Burb Files
Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does it have A/C? If so, remove the lower dash panel and duct work. I've been able to remove the speedo cable before buy reaching behind without removing the cluster. There should be a clip you push in and then pull the cable out of the cluster. The rubber grommet in the firewall should be accessible from inside the engine bay and just carefully pull it though from there. It shouldn't be too difficult if you can get your arm up behind the cluster. It's just a little difficult to find the right pathway. I've found if you get a piece of carpet on the ground and kneel on it works better that upside down on the seat!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Does this car have cruise control? If so I'll bet the transducer is shot.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill