Old 08-06-2000, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting a 400 in a 301 turbo car that had alot of butchering to the wiring, hoses, and vacuum lines. Got most of the wiring figured out.

There is a round canister up by the radiator/A/C accumulator where it looks like the emissions vapor canister should go. It only has one vacuum line going to it(no idea where it came from on engine), no other fitings. It looks stock but no vapor canister and doesn't look like a place for one there. Is this some vacuum reservoir? the fuel tank vent line if open right there and no canister to go to.

Also heater hose routing. The upper(at the heater core) larger hose (that on my 78 goes to the water pump )goes to a factory looking U shaped metal pipe that makes to turn around the evaporator box and then has a piece of hose that is then necked down to fit the smaller hose at the back of the head.

The smaller 5/8" hose was routed to the water pump but doesn't fit as that should be really about 3/4". The 78 has the larger upper hose to the water pump and the smaller bottom to the head.

Hose routing doesn't make sense but I can't find a picture in the manual about hose routing. The one in the 80 assembly manual does NOT show this metal U pipe, but it still has a sticker on it with what looks like a GM part number.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-06-2000, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting a 400 in a 301 turbo car that had alot of butchering to the wiring, hoses, and vacuum lines. Got most of the wiring figured out.

There is a round canister up by the radiator/A/C accumulator where it looks like the emissions vapor canister should go. It only has one vacuum line going to it(no idea where it came from on engine), no other fitings. It looks stock but no vapor canister and doesn't look like a place for one there. Is this some vacuum reservoir? the fuel tank vent line if open right there and no canister to go to.

Also heater hose routing. The upper(at the heater core) larger hose (that on my 78 goes to the water pump )goes to a factory looking U shaped metal pipe that makes to turn around the evaporator box and then has a piece of hose that is then necked down to fit the smaller hose at the back of the head.

The smaller 5/8" hose was routed to the water pump but doesn't fit as that should be really about 3/4". The 78 has the larger upper hose to the water pump and the smaller bottom to the head.

Hose routing doesn't make sense but I can't find a picture in the manual about hose routing. The one in the 80 assembly manual does NOT show this metal U pipe, but it still has a sticker on it with what looks like a GM part number.

Old 08-06-2000, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Skip, The '81 Turbo T/A had a charcoal cannister with I believe 5 connections. One would be from tank, one would be return to tank, one purge from carb, one would be I believe, ported vacuum from carb run through some type of vac switch. Not sure on last line. Hazy memory on this 81 set-up...Since this was C-4 emission system, were there any electric solenoid type switches involved in moving (actually switching)of these vapors? If so & you want to eliminate, one could do an end around by using earlier style charcoal cannister set-up. Will be replacing this setup soon on a local buddy's '78 4spd, as cannister has been removed & lines have been disconnected. Tank has had vent line crimped & tank has partially collapsed. Does the core support still have the emission routing sticker on it? Believe I have a j-peg of the Turbo emission sticker, will look. The turbo cars had a special silver cad looking steel coolant line which distributed coolant to the rear of the offset plenum, I believe this what you have come across. I would discard it & hook one heater hose to the outlet on the timing cover & the other to the outlet on the back of the passenger side head.

Old 08-08-2000, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The manual I have shows a fitting like you describe(kind of a T at an angle) in the small line but not the U on the upper line as this car is plumbed.

I am going to plumb it like the 78 car I have. Small line is luckily long enough to go to head(as it went to water pump and I don;t know how the 5/8" hose slipped on that 3/4 fitting!) and the upper line I can get to without having to pull the fenderwell and make a new hose to the water pump as it should be.