Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-05-2001, 02:29 AM
Senior Chief

Friend of mine bought an 81 firebird that was originaly a V6 car, he got it for $500 so it was not to bad of a deal. Well he doesn't know to much of cars and I didn't go with him so he bought it. Well now it was suposed to have a Chevy 305 in it, like the guy said, well it isn't, it is some type of Oldsmobile, my guess is it is a 403.

Question #1 where is there an identification stamping of what C.I. the motor is, like on Pontiacs it is on the side of the block.
If it helps it has a 4bl intake (cast iron,for a quadrajet), but it has some smog heads, has the smog pipes that tap into the heads on all cylinders. Oh yeah one more wierd thing I noticed in the dark was that in the Passenger side Exhaust manifold it looked like it had an oxygen sensor in it, if it is not an oxygen sensor it is something as it has a 2 wire conector and plug comming out of it.

Question #2 would the original V6 mounts have bolted right up to the 403 or whatever it is? The reason I ask this is because there is at least 4-5" between the bottom of the oilpan and the frame unlike a Pontiac motor that is about 1" away.

Any help will be appreciated as I am not familiar with the 403, I will be converting him to the Pontiac line of motors in no time, don't worry.lol For right now we are going to get it up and running and making it look good, and fix whatever arises, but we need to know the cubic inches if possile.

Old 09-05-2001, 02:29 AM
Senior Chief

Friend of mine bought an 81 firebird that was originaly a V6 car, he got it for $500 so it was not to bad of a deal. Well he doesn't know to much of cars and I didn't go with him so he bought it. Well now it was suposed to have a Chevy 305 in it, like the guy said, well it isn't, it is some type of Oldsmobile, my guess is it is a 403.

Question #1 where is there an identification stamping of what C.I. the motor is, like on Pontiacs it is on the side of the block.
If it helps it has a 4bl intake (cast iron,for a quadrajet), but it has some smog heads, has the smog pipes that tap into the heads on all cylinders. Oh yeah one more wierd thing I noticed in the dark was that in the Passenger side Exhaust manifold it looked like it had an oxygen sensor in it, if it is not an oxygen sensor it is something as it has a 2 wire conector and plug comming out of it.

Question #2 would the original V6 mounts have bolted right up to the 403 or whatever it is? The reason I ask this is because there is at least 4-5" between the bottom of the oilpan and the frame unlike a Pontiac motor that is about 1" away.

Any help will be appreciated as I am not familiar with the 403, I will be converting him to the Pontiac line of motors in no time, don't worry.lol For right now we are going to get it up and running and making it look good, and fix whatever arises, but we need to know the cubic inches if possile.

Old 09-05-2001, 09:42 AM

From the Olds FAQ (http://www.inil.com/users/dlbrown/oldsfaq.htm)...

"Small blocks from 1977 onward will have the CID or liters cast in large numbers right above the center core plug. The engine VIN number will also be cast onto the side of the block."
"Facing the front of the engine, at the top surface of the timing chain area, to the left of the oil fill tube, there is a code about 1.5" high followed by the casting number. A letter indicates a big block, a number indicates a small block."

There's a list of casting numbers and associated displacements at the Olds site mentioned, along with pretty much ANYTHING you want to know about these engines.

As for properly mounting the engine, the frame brackets and motor mounts from a 403 equipped '77 to '79 T/A should work easily.

Old 09-06-2001, 12:57 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the help, we will be looking at it tommorrow. John