WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Skip shift eliminator

Looking for some feedback from those who have installed a skipshift eliminator on their 06 GTO. I was just enjoying how much looser the shifting was and loving the exhaust sound now that she's got over 6000 miles on her. I had a skipshift eliminator installed last week and while I am enjoying not having to skip-shift I have noticed a difference in the shifting. Shifting gears is stiffer now, especially reverse.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

I don't have a SSE but I wouldn't think that it should make a difference in the way the trans shifts at all.

When I first bought my car, I was hitting the skip-shift a lot so I almost bought the eliminator but now that I'm used to the car, I rev it way too much to need one.

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 PM

You got a chuckle out of me! I normally rev too much, however, it was in the midst of a couple of left turns with a semi coming at me when the skip shift engaged that got me to pick up a SSE! Even though I always know that it's a possibility to have that thing engage, it always managed to suprise me when it did!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

CAGS locks the gates into 2nd & 3rd under certain conditions. A skip shift eliminator is simply a 1/2W, 2K resistor which simulates the load of the CAGS solenoid thus fooling the computer into thinking it's done its job. It has no effect whatsover on the stiffness of shifting, especially not reverse.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

i also installed a sse in my 06 for the same reason and when it happened almost always had to down shift into 3rd. it made no differance in the way she shifts otherwise. but i do like it alot better now. i can skip shift when i want to and not when the pcm tells it to.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM

Thumbs up I'm back in business!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbaby
Looking for some feedback from those who have installed a skipshift eliminator on their 06 GTO. I was just enjoying how much looser the shifting was and loving the exhaust sound now that she's got over 6000 miles on her. I had a skipshift eliminator installed last week and while I am enjoying not having to skip-shift I have noticed a difference in the shifting. Shifting gears is stiffer now, especially reverse.

Update: I took my GTO back to the performance shop that installed the SSE for me and it turns out that they only connected one end of the SSE. The CAGS was not working in any gear. It has been corrected and it's a night and day difference! Thanks for your comments! I'm back in business!!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbaby
Sometimes this will happen because a person accidently plugs the new adapter into the reverse lockout solenoid (which is right next to the solenoid for the skip shift) They look identical. If you plug into the wrong solenoid, it will make reverse very difficult.