Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What type of posi additive?

What type of posi additive should be added to a 64 Saf-T-Track rear end? As I understand it, these posi units use a cone and cup design as opposed to the Eaton style clutch pack I'm used to seeing in my Chevy's. Now, the reason I ask what may seem like a dumb question, on my 2006 GTO the rear also uses the cone and cup system yet when refilling it with lube you need to include Type F (yes, Ford) posi additive to get it to work right. Do the old Pontiac systems need this same type of Type F additive instead of the typical GM (type G) stuff?

If so, it might help explain the high speed hum I hear in the old GTO axle as I'm sure when we did the rear end years ago I added GM additive to the quality 80w-90 gear lube we used (not synthetic).

Old 06-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry Woltzen rebuilt the cone-type posi in my '65 GTO 26 years ago and it's still working flawlessly. He specified the Ford posi additive at that time and that's what's in it. He used to run California Differential, and was featured in an early '90's HPP article on rebuilding these rear ends, so I trust his workmanship and judgement.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Makes sense.