Old 07-06-2016, 12:42 AM

Default clutch / brake pedal mounting bracket removal

Trying to remove the clutch / brake pedal mounting bracket from under the dash. (64 GTO) Steering column is out, the nuts are off the studs protruding through firewall and the two rear nuts are off. The assembly seems to be hanging up on the threaded rods nearest the dash. I'm sure this is one of those late night frustrations that will have an obvious solution in the morning, but if not, does anyone have any tips or suggestions? (I was trying not to dent the firewall or damage the threaded rods supporting it.)

Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Suspended

Is this rod the one that goes to the Brake master?? If so you will have to remove that as it run through the brake peddle support. This is the rod that pushes on the master for the brakes. It has to come out, that whats stopping it from coming down. I think.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Is this rod the one that goes to the Brake master?? If so you will have to remove that as it run through the brake peddle support. This is the rod that pushes on the master for the brakes. It has to come out, that whats stopping it from coming down. I think.
Master cylinder, pedals and all rods have been removed. The issue is with the brake and clutch pedal mounting bracket itself. I received a PM suggesting that the process should be made easier with removal of the cluster.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive pulled a 100 clutch pedals out of 64-67s,,never once pulling the cluster...im not saying it isnt easier with it out..ive just never deemed in necessary..

if its all loose just grab it and pull it down towards the floorpan...its wedged in there necause of the master being tightened down etc...

there also some little sheet metal type washers that have little flanges on them...they push on the threads...and are to hold something inplace so another part can be put on and then bolted..like a spare hand..they can be onery...i just grab them with a pair of side cutters and pull them off..when i say like sheet metal..thin as a piece of paper..

just a few ideas..it may help

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 what Marxjunk said. I pulled mine out 30 years ago to weld up the worn-out pivot holes, and it came out easily...of course, it was only a 20 year old car then!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:18 AM

Thanks to all who replied. Once I got some light in there I saw the 1/2" bolt holding one of the threaded rods in place, removed it, and the bracket dropped right down.