Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default Engine Startup Stand

Does anyone rent these? I'll be needing one in a few weeks. Don't need it often enough, nor have the place to store it, so buying is out of the question.

Located in York, PA. But would be willing to travel a bit.

Stuart

Old 06-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Piggybacking on this since I'd like to know too--

What's the shadetree-mechanic version of an engine stand? Just putting the thing in the car, priming the oil pump, and seeing what happens? That's what I was going to do when my heads finally arrive.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 PM

I've fired a few engines up on an assembly stand (just your regular motor holding stand) with a engine hoist also attached for extra "safety." Just headers, a fuel line in a jerry can, and a few wires (Batt + to starter and a good ground to -, one wire with an inline switch to HEI ignition, and one with a push-button start switch.. Don't rev it hard or anything but it will work for a short run to see how it sounds. It's a little wild but kinda fun too.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:51 PM

cool, thanks AJ. I might try that.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple pieces of 2x4 wood bolted to heads angled out to long piece on floor so engine wont rotate should be good. I've witnessed engines started on tire on floor. Just dont torque it.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 AM
Senior Chief

Interesting ideas. Thanks.

Stuart