Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once I let the car down on jackstands...any kind of jackstands....I always lift the jack back up to where it makes contact with the lift point of the vehicle but not enough to raise it off the stands. I don't trust either one alone, the stands or the jack.
If the jack will be in the way, I always back up the stands with wood, a spare tire or two or something.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^ Lol...just not ours!

Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Just plain silly to stick your head under a vehicle held up by anything sold by Harbor Fright.
Chances are you will live allot longer if you follow that advice!!

Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is now a recall on the recall... I just got this in an email -

Quote:
To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

Old 07-18-2020, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Took mine back yesterday. Gift card. I have other stands same color as HF .look identical but different sticker. Think I bought them at local NAPA. I'm going to pin them with .250 pin. I have habit of double supporting the vehicle. I have alot of 4x4s blocking stacked in garage. Worst time back in 68 working on friends 59 Pontiac convertible. Changing auto trans. He placed 2 -10" concrete blocks vertically under rear axle, With Web of block on housing??!! We were warming on selves,before crawling under, winter,big crash yep we were saved, I double ck everything now. When your are young you are indestructible!

Old 07-18-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar thing happen with a concrete block back in the 70s. Had a chevy truck that was going to the junkyard, it had a flat rear tire on it so we jacked it up to remove the tire and wheel to put air in it so we could tow it. Let the truck down, and set it on a block that was handy at the time. The block was upright with the web facing up just like everyone says is the strongest way for them to hold weight, the same way it would be set into a wall.

A few seconds later the truck is on the ground with a bunch of powdered concrete under one of the wheels. This was on the rear of a 1/2 ton rusted out POS, it wasn't even heavy due to the rust, no engine or transmission in it.

Fortunately no one was going under it just to change a tire, but I never used a block again to support anything I wanted to remain suspended.

My father had warned me about concrete blocks as he was a mechanic also, but until you see one crumble like I did that day, you might half believe it. Although I never did use them for anything I was going to get underneath. At that moment it was handy, and it was going to save me finding something better. Plus commonly when misfortunes happen, we were in a hurry........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-18-2020 at 10:21 AM.