Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Default '64 Tempest 200R4 Conversion - Backup Lights

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to Pontiacs as well as the Forum. I have a '64 Tempest Custom Convertible that I have just finished a conversion from the ST300 auto to a 200R4 auto. Great conversion! I retained the column shift, which is really pretty cool in my estimation. However, the backup light switch, which is integrated with the neutral safety switch on the lower steering column, is now out of "sync." That is, the engine will start in "Drive" and the backup lights only come on when in neutral. Obviously, the shifter geometry has changed. Has anyone run across a solution to this? Ideally, there would be an aftermarket modified integrated backup light and neutral safety switch available, but to date, I have not been able to locate such. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Nick

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if a mid-80's Monte Carlo or other G body column shift switch would work if modded?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:54 AM

Agreed, I would look for a switch out of a mid-80s Caprice or G-body. Post what you find....