Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default 64 gto wiw

My dad is interested in a 64 gto on ebay out of Spokane, WA. I'm not a gto man, so I'm not sure what exactly to be looking for to determine the correct value. I was wondering what opinions you guys had as to what would be a fair price for this car. His picture of the PHS got cut off, but he did send Dad a pic of the full page, and it does show the gto option. I'm also interested in any comments about the car. Thank you in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GTO-...m=351773839950

Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a pretty decent driver. One thing I see in the second picture that concerns me is the 'G T O' emblem looks like it is not on straight. It may just be the camera angle, but it could be a sign of a previous crash and a bad repair. As far as value, the ad states 'era correct engine', meaning to me that it's not the original engine. If it's not, that affects the value; and the added tri power also affects the value.

If the car is as good as it looks in the pictures, I would say it's value is somewhere in the 30's. Still hard to value just by pictures. Never, ever by a car sight unseen!!!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 AM
Senior Chief

The engine is definitely not original, and the seller has been up front about that. Are the early gtos, in general, worth more than the later ones? I had $25k in my mind but wasn't sure if I was off my rocker on that estimate.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have someone look at it for you. Put an ad in the members helping members and see if someone steps up.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking somewhere in the $28-$32K.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 64 gto for sale

hi mines for sale tack a look at the video
https://youtu.be/cYfPt_FtJLU

Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$25k-$28k.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 07-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think some of you are a little low. Look at the high bid on this POS with all that's wrong with it!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0716-24...4-pontiac-gto/

Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Original 4 bbl car. Not #s. Manual brakes and steering not good selling points. Crooked quarter emblem bugs me too. After reading the ad, I'm still confused as to what rear-end is actually in it. A shill-bid auction car (which didn't actually sell) not a good comparison. Looks like my estimate was a bit high...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime

Last edited by GTOnly70; 07-09-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Looks like a pretty decent driver. One thing I see in the second picture that concerns me is the 'G T O' emblem looks like it is not on straight. It may just be the camera angle, but it could be a sign of a previous crash and a bad repair. As far as value, the ad states 'era correct engine', meaning to me that it's not the original engine. If it's not, that affects the value; and the added tri power also affects the value.

If the car is as good as it looks in the pictures, I would say it's value is somewhere in the 30's. Still hard to value just by pictures. Never, ever by a car sight unseen!!!
I would agree that it is a very nice looking driver that most Chebby and Ford guys would think was all stock. That being said it had some options that were typical of a true 64 GTO:

Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, and a 4bbl engine with a nice red interior and a console.

GTO emblem is not on straight for sure. That could be easily corrected.
As far as rear quarter damage, I do not see the normal slight crease in the rear quarters caused by too many drag race starts with a 4 speed and a decent tire.

So you buy the car because you want a nice looking driver to impress the strokes.

It has a good paint job, nice wheels, I would remove the steering wheel cover and check for a cracked wheel and if so just replace the wheel.

How much you pay is a personal decision.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Original 4 bbl car. Not #s. Manual brakes and steering not good selling points. Crooked quarter emblem bugs me too. After reading the ad, I'm still confused as to what rear-end is actually in it. A shill-bid auction car (which didn't actually sell) not a good comparison. Looks like my estimate was a bit high...
FWIW, the auction car was rerun on Saturday and SOLD for 31k. If that's any indicator, then the ebay car should be worth 45k or more. But it's not.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

sounds like the guy was wanting somewhere around 33k for it, a fair bit higher than Dad was willing to go. I think he's starting to look a bit more seriously into buying another car. He had a 66 Mustang and a 70 AMC that he sold off a couple years ago. I've been trying to get him into a Pontiac, and hopefully he's listening. Says he's always liked the 64 and 65 gtos, especially the red ones. Another guy in the local club has a 65, I think, so I'm betting he'd rather have a 64. He's not into all the numbers matching so much, but definitely wants something solid that looks good and drives reliably for a fair price. My job in this is to do what I can to help make sure the car is the genuine article and not something just thrown together without care for the historicity of a 64 gto. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidsd455 View Post
sounds like the guy was wanting somewhere around 33k for it, a fair bit higher than Dad was willing to go. I think he's starting to look a bit more seriously into buying another car. He had a 66 Mustang and a 70 AMC that he sold off a couple years ago. I've been trying to get him into a Pontiac, and hopefully he's listening. Says he's always liked the 64 and 65 gtos, especially the red ones. Another guy in the local club has a 65, I think, so I'm betting he'd rather have a 64. He's not into all the numbers matching so much, but definitely wants something solid that looks good and drives reliably for a fair price. My job in this is to do what I can to help make sure the car is the genuine article and not something just thrown together without care for the historicity of a 64 gto. Thanks for all your input, guys.
In all honestly he may have a hard time finding one like he wants that is solid, dependable, looks and drives good for any less than the low 30's; especially if he wants a 4 speed car.