THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LS is ungly due to the CAD bracket mentality.

Lincoln- Ford Modular engine lokks much better, and has Ford bracketry.

Pontiac 455 is a darn good looking engine assembly, with good performance. So there.

Long ago i claimed here that a 455 Pontiac could be rebuilt for about $500 (because i did a few, good spare rods and such)
Well the Pistons have gone up from $215 (PAW),
Full bearing set seems itemized anymore.
Cam & Lifters was $115, gonw way up.
Felpro Gasket kit with Print-O-Seal Headgaskets was $79) way up now.
Hard to find the Metalic Blue Paint now ($15 all day on ebay)
1-piece Valves and Proper Springs seem necessary anymore: Proper Head -Valvetrain prep should be more than the Shortblock huh.
Hazard to guess if a 2020 rebuild could stay under $1500 materials for forged slugs and wear-replacement parts.

Still attempt to reuse the Block, Heads, Intake, oil pump, crank, rods, Bolts, Timing Cover, Flexpalte, HEI. Dare say rings if the CYL Walls were good. Had good findings with that.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 07-14-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
... I would imagine a 455 with all the pulleys and distributor would go for $1000 minimum, to possibly $1200.

If I were to sell any of my 455s, that would be the formula I'd be using, FWIW.
Right on.
I just bought a complete, running 455 from a 1974 Grandville for $1000; from a Phila junkyard in November. (2019)
It was still in the car; they said it ran. I said "Send me a video of it running and I'll send you the money".
They did. I did.
They pulled it for me the next day.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

The good old days...two 455's from Ecology wrecking yard for $300. each plus their BS "core" One engine ran great and the other one had a rod knock. I sold the one with a rod knock to a guy who needed the date codes and the other went into my 72 GTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 13, 2002.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	544953  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
...and the other went into my 72 GTO.
And it ran GREAT!

I remember going to Ecology and you could still find complete 400 engines somewhat regularly. $300 for a complete engine if you pull it. Cars all looked like someone drove them in to where they sat.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the mid-80s, I bought a Pontiac station wagon with a low mileage running 455. It was an older person's car, and it was beat to crap. I yanked the motor, removed the exhaust manifolds and stuffed oily rags in the exhaust ports. I took off the carb and stuffed oily rags in the intake, then put the carb back on. I let it sit in a basement until a couple of years ago and sold it when I started downsizing. The motor had some pulleys, carb and distributor. I think I sold it for $700. It would spin with no problems. I think prices have gone up since then, but I would say it would go for at least $1000 today.

I used to sell 70-74 455 short block with internals for $600 - 750, typically standard bore. Most were removed in the 80s and stored in my basement.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Not running, I'm still at $500 given that it is a 75 2 bolt block.

You get a rebuildable block core that the only internal parts I would consider reusing on the build is the crank and windage tray (if it even has one). Externally having timing cover, all the brackets, accessories and bolts is a plus.

Finally, the carb, distributor and valve covers might get reused on a build, but very little else.
I'm in this camp. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a 45 year old low performance engine that is basically a core in my eyes knowing I'll be spending thousands to rebuild it, and likely only use the block and crank. The rest would get tossed.

If the trans is a short tail 400 I'd pay a little more for that.

If you need all those accessories it might be worth a few bucks.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
And it ran GREAT!

I remember going to Ecology and you could still find complete 400 engines somewhat regularly. $300 for a complete engine if you pull it. Cars all looked like someone drove them in to where they sat.
If you saw the condition of the cars I pulled those engines from you would have shed a tear. Not rusty, not wrecked and the interiors were really nice.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
If you saw the condition of the cars I pulled those engines from you would have shed a tear. Not rusty, not wrecked and the interiors were really nice.
Probably couldn't get $500 for it in the paper or from a dealer when they bought a nice shiny new Honda because "it's good on gas." So they dumped the big car at the scrap yard.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember finding one in about 1978 in a scrap pile. Saw it was 2 bolt mains let it go. What I didnt know then, was some wanted these blocks because of no valve chamfers,run a high ring.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
It's a 75 so it has a non concentric rope seal area. This means putting a 2 piece seal in it could be an issue. I would recommend the new rope seals. Casting in 75 is for low performance. Can be a really great driver with stock crank and rods though.
Edit: My machine shop owner and I did a AERA
Bulletin on the issue above. One block rope seal rough casting area was over 12 thousandths to one side. Leaked like a pisser too with a 2 piece seal. Pontiac never machined these for any sort of seal besides a old school rope.
I have a 72 455 in a B body pontiac. Does mine have these same issues?

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM

Bought my 71 YG 455 from a scrap yard 20 years ago for $300. It was pan to carb when I bought it. Came out of a 65 lemans. Still have the block, crank, 4x heads, Torker Intake, pulleys, front cover and brackets. Figured if I ever wanted to rebuild it, I would have done so with new internals. Not bad for the price.

I did pass up the 70 Lemans they had sitting out in front with a minor damaged front end. Should have bought that thing and fixed the front header panel and drove the wheels off of it. If it was only a 400 instead of a 350.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 07-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGACY_GN View Post
I have a 72 455 in a B body pontiac. Does mine have these same issues?
READ... The info is right here...