THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

One interesting thing I remember from my Grandfather, German ships were prized because the metal used in building them was some of the best quality they had seen. Many were taken apart and the metal re-used in other projects.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Dave for the story. Always fascinated about history esp. intelligence before the battles. What did we know? I am a believer that we needed to get into WWII and the surprise attack was very fortunate and 'permitted 'to happen.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Smile

David, two recent article on the Battle of Midway you might enjoy. The second is especially interesting.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ay_114389.html

http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 PM

"In retrospect, it is difficult to comprehend how Japan's leadership managed to rationalize their way around the economic facts when they contemplated making war on the U.S. After all, these were not stupid men."

I suspect that the Japanese leaders thought Pearl would cripple our Navy and cause us to decide not to enter WWII.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
"In retrospect, it is difficult to comprehend how Japan's leadership managed to rationalize their way around the economic facts when they contemplated making war on the U.S. After all, these were not stupid men."

I suspect that the Japanese leaders thought Pearl would cripple our Navy and cause us to decide not to enter WWII.
The Imperial Japanese Staff expected us to sue for peace rather than respond to the attack. That's pretty well documented by Samuel Eliot Morison, among others.

Boy, were they wrong.

In the second link, I found it interesting that at the end of the war, the U.S. Navy was bigger than all the other navies in the world combined.

Currently, we're only bigger than the next 17 of the world's navies combined.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Bob interesting reading.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
The Imperial Japanese Staff expected us to sue for peace rather than respond to the attack. That's pretty well documented by Samuel Eliot Morison, among others.

Boy, were they wrong.

In the second link, I found it interesting that at the end of the war, the U.S. Navy was bigger than all the other navies in the world combined.

Currently, we're only bigger than the next 17 of the world's navies combined.
They believed that by crippling our Pacific fleet, they could put us so far behind the 8 ball in Naval prowess that we would negotiate for peace as opposed to them expanding their military conquests to our shores.

The greatest blunder of the Japanese attack was not damaging a single aircraft carrier. That was a fatal flaw.

Admiral Yamamoto who had been educated in the US knew that war with the US was a mistake. That's why after the attack at Pearl he said "I fear we have but awakened a sleeping giant".

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SportRagtop View Post
The greatest blunder of the Japanese attack was not damaging a single aircraft carrier. That was a fatal flaw.
Some historians aver that not hitting the tank farm, where the bunker oil for theentire Pacific fleetl was stored, was as great a mistake as hitting when the carriers were out. The strategy for denial of that part of the raid was to not obscure the raiding aircrafts' view with smoke from gigantic oil fires.

Quote:
Admiral Yamamoto who had been educated in the US knew that war with the US was a mistake. That's why after the attack at Pearl he said "I fear we have but awakened a sleeping giant".
...and filled him with a terrible resolve." It's attributed.

Did you know Yamamoto was a student at our Naval War College in the 1920s?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
Very cool stuff Alvin, it must have been amazing to dive on the wrecks. One minor correction, the Prinz Eugen was a cruiser, very similar in design to the Bismarck but smaller. The only sistership to the Bismarck was the Tirpitz.
Hey Thxs for the "class" corrections on the "Oy-Gens" aka: Eugen's Dave ; like I said "IIRC" so CRS sometimes creeps in, if you know what I mean. Here is something you all may enjoy http://www.prinzeugen.com/PGIND.htm

The WWII history, diving, aviation and marine wrecks and landbased ruins are truly world class in the Kwajalein and Truk lagoon areas. I'd highly recommend anyone interested in WWII history to plan a lengthy trip there.

http://www.diveadventures.com/pages/.../Kwajalein.htm

Roi-Namur was on the opposite end of our lagoon and was the location of the Japanese command post HQ and one of the largest non-nuke explosions during WWII due to this:
"Roi-Namur 2nd February 1944--"the worst setback came when a Marine demolition team threw a satchel charge of high explosive into a Japanese bunker which turned out to be a torpedo warhead magazine. The resulting explosion killed twenty Marines and wounded dozens more"." http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=102573

Last edited by Alvin; 06-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Default Veterans of the Pacific

This may be of additional interest for WWII History Buffs, friends and family of Pacific Veterans:

Veterans of Kwajalein
Roi-Namur & the Pacific
http://www.shermiewiehe.com/vets/vets.html

Some detailed news photos included (above link) will show why our bakery was called "Two-Palms Bakery" due to only "Two-Palm Trees" remaining standing after the US invasion and capture of Kwaj.

God Bless Our USA Veterans!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
"Sue for peace" who did they think we were Pansies like we have in control today?

That's what I was alluding to by not entering the war.

I know that towards the end of the war the Navy had things pretty cleaned up. My Grandfather, being a Seabee, was ordered by an Admiral to build a small golf course on one of the islands so he could play when he wanted.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I have read the oil storage tanks were not damaged and the dry docks were not either. Which the author said were very important. Interesting book I found was 'Day Of Deceit'. I wonder were lies the truth. Seems very good luck that the carriers were not there at the time of the attack! Luck or planning. I've wondered IF you had a idea someone was going to rob you ,wouldn't you try to find out as much as you could and look look look to see where they are? Esp. are govt -unless- we wanted that 'door' open so we could get into the war to save freedom? The US was a pacificist nation after WWI.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Not sure if I have posted this before but I want to share again if so; this is from a great man in my life, my step grandfather Dan Sales.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the letter Steve. Very nice story.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM

That is very cool Steve thanks for sharing that!
I wish more servicemen did the same, most didn't talk about it and let the history die with them.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

There is a lot of heart in that one page letter, that's all I can say about it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for sharing the letter Steve.
That New Orleans ship and crew would make a good movie just by themselves.
i'd probably have been more nervous about motoring backwards with a blown off Bow to Singapore than i would have been during all the battles.

My grandfather took a tour across Germany in a US Army Tank for a few years.
He never wanted to share very much, but would once in a while tell about some instances or circumstances or conditions etc.. Never about any battles.

In the family album they have a picture of him and his squad with their tank.
They all have about 4 to 8 guns a piece strapped to them from their boots to their shoulders.

His younger brother gave all in the US Air Force and never returned home from WWII.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry about confusing Sydney with Singapore.

Does anyone know if there is a website with listings of WWII veterans ?
Maybe one that lists their services, divisions, medals awarded, etc ....

Thanks

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
In the family album they have a picture of him and his squad with their tank. They all have about 4 to 8 guns a piece strapped to them from their boots to their shoulders.
Cool pic, but probably for the camera. There's little room in a tank for that much weaponry. That's why most tankers were short of stature, as well.

As to your grandpa's service, you can get a copy of his service record for free from the St. Louis records center. If that interests you, let me know and I'll post the address and instructions. Takes 6 weeks-2 months.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Please post it Bob, thanks!