THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Suggestions on Managing the "To Do" list

Looking for some input from the 'high achievers' on this site...

As is the case with most professionals I'm probably doing the work of what two engineers did in the old days (This is actually a relief, down from my previous job of about 5 people).

As a result I get about 300 emails per day. Buried in there are probably 10 - 20 tasks of some kind, ie: requests for information, part number questions, requests for a minor design change (move a stud, put a bash in a panel), input a project status into a tracking database. These might only take a few minutes up to a half day to perform and are not particularly hard in and of themselves but there are quite a few of them. There may also be one or two major tasks - like a significant design release or creating a sourcing document. These are hard, and require between 8 and 40 hours of uninterrupted time. Some need to be done that day, some by the end of the week, sometimes I am prompted and have to remember to perform the task as long as a year from now. In any event there is no way that everything that comes in gets done that day. Anything that doesn't get done doesn't go away; it moves to the "to do" list for the next day.

My problem is in tracking all of these things to do. I've tried sorting emails into folders and using them to prompt the work but there are just too many and too much chaff and hey don't capture requests that come in from other venues. Handwritten lists on paper seem to accumulate too fast and are clunky to sort and manage. I started an excel spreadsheet with items listed and cross referenced by overall project, corresponding release documentation (part work orders) and chronological order but it still feels like something is missing. I don't like the discomfort of not being sure everything has been accounted for (my peers tell me to simply get used to it).

My goal is to keep stuff moving and not let anything (important) fall through the cracks but not spend all my time managing a stupid list. I'm ok with not everything getting done and there seems to be an understanding from our management that not everything will get done. I guess I at least want to be aware of what's falling off the table (and for it to be a conscious decision).

So - my question is: Is there an app for this? What about a class? What do some of you professional guys do?

Whatever technique I adopt will probably get applied to managing home projects, too.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in engineering as well, I have to use a combo of handwritten notes, email files, physical job folders and memory to juggle all the design projects I have going on at any one time. Then add the ones in production or in the field being installed that I have to be available for phone conferences and such and it gets messy.

Mgt doesn't seem to understand just trying to manage the amount of information we have these days is becoming a full time job unto it's own, processing the orders into manufacturing is now taking a back seat to information exchanges.
Personally, I'm not sure how or when that's likely to change, but as a designer what I need is an assistant to handle the mudane tasks.

I'm looking into using spread sheets to help, but that requires even more time just to load it. For some repeat projects I've decided that once or twice a week I'll process those all at one time, used to do them as they came up.
Guess I could take the time I spend on this forum and apply that... Nah!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't get anywhere near 300 emails a day, it's probably more like 50 but it's still a pain. I have a little thing that pops up in the corner of the screen whenever a new email comes in, and if it's something inconsequential I can click on it and delete it right away (we seem to have a lot of unnecessary inter-office emails, I hate it when someone sends out a mass email and then other people click on 'reply all' to respond.)

As for keeping track of stuff I need to do I'm a big fan of Post-It Notes. I have a wall calendar where the square for each day is the same size as a small Post-It, and I can stick notes on there to remind me of specific things; I also use a lot of them on my desk next to my keyboard. I can rearrange them in different order as required, and toss them as that particular task is resolved.

I also use the calendar feature in Outlook Mail a lot. You can set it up with reminders that pop up at selectable time intervals

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used an old tool that I still use with modern day "tools". The MUST do stuff I Always put on a physical calendar of the type shown, so its ,more or less "in my face" . its faster than spending time making a spread sheet and then keeping it updated. All these need a is a good old fashion check mark. There are programs ( for phones anyways) that will take an email or text and make it an "event" which can be alarmed, notify, etc. I use the The Lined tablet on the desk, and cross them off. I re do it next Am and add in older to the new one. If you use this set up in a "day timer", you have wasted your time.." outta site= outta mind".
Get up to date on whats spam, and personal, etc in email folders.
I find that the more you know as and Engineer, the more others rely on you for small things they could look up, but are too LAZY too. So phone/email support for "codes", part numbers, and strengths, and tolerances, MUST end....

This Will take a little work, but "in your face" seems to be best for anyone over 30!! I have got a bunch of others on this method and things get done, and anyone can see at any time whats been done or not. just my Opinion of course...what everyone does themselves will usually be considered "best".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calendar working.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	345567  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 12-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i print the emails i get, i scan them into my NEAT system, and it lets me create folders and put them into my contacts at the same time,and i can search it by customer,topic, or even a names of business etc.... i load them on my computer and when im on the road i can access them on my smart phone with drop box...it sounds like alot, but no writing...no notes, its the discipline of getting it started, set x amout of time and make it happen...if im really busy i do it at midnight, and it puts me right to sleep...i dont have 300 emails a day

i put bids for equipment in with the customer..its all in one place...

the NEat system used to be a pain in the butt..but they got it figured out.. i can do cards, hand written notes etc...i can clear my desk off in about a 3rd of the time i used too...and i dont dread it....i do my receipts and everything i do business wise...love it

i gotta say..i kinda tweeked it for what i want...it works for me

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following User Says Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
As for keeping track of stuff I need to do I'm a big fan of Post-It Notes. I have a wall calendar where the square for each day is the same size as a small Post-It, and I can stick notes on there to remind me of specific things; I also use a lot of them on my desk next to my keyboard. I can rearrange them in different order as required, and toss them as that particular task is resolved.

I also use the calendar feature in Outlook Mail a lot. You can set it up with reminders that pop up at selectable time intervals
I use a reporter's notebook. Lots of space and will fit in your pocket. As to emails, I'd set aside a certain amount of time twice a day to answer them, and use the delete button a lot.

My son's a busy mechanical engineer, and he only answers personal (or inconsequential) emails 2-3 times a week.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL-Kurt - Bob.
But seriously, get a G mail account lots of options. http://www.gcflearnfree.org/gmail/5

Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did finally put a white board in my office to keep track of open items on projects, when things have to be ordered by, etc... helped some. The emails are the hardest thing to keep track of though. I don't know of a system that will let you save them into an explorer folder though, sure could use one. My email tree is getting pretty long. Sometimes I take the last one that has all the back and forth and just save that one, it can take 10-20 emails doing reply alls to figure out one thing, if I saved each one the file would be huge.

We have one guy that's great at tracking everything, he keeps notebooks on all his projects, writes up reports from meetings, action items, prints emails to put in the books as well.
I hate him... not sure where he finds time to design. Does a lot of work at home I think. 8-5 is all they're getting from me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input; keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I'm in engineering as well, I have to use a combo of handwritten notes, email files, physical job folders and memory to juggle all the design projects I have going on at any one time. ....Guess I could take the time I spend on this forum and apply that... Nah!!!!!!
ho428 - I could have written your whole post word for word!

(lol)

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Stu and Bruce, I'll give that some more thought.

Bob - I filled up a few dozen of those steno notebooks over the last 14 or 15 years but abandoned them eventually because they weren't "searchable" (other than me flipping through page by page).

Mark - what is this NEAT program? Is that some kind of commerically available software? Or something your company created for internal use?

K

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://edutech.msu.edu/online/google...oogledocs.html

Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Keith are you using Outlook for your email? With Outlook you can create folders for your email and move the emails into the folders. But Outlook will do a lot more. You can take incoming emails and make them into tasks, the task can then be scheduled to send you an alert/reminder on the date and time of your choosing. You can check on your tasks and update them so at a glance you can see the task, when it is due, how far along you are on the task etc etc all customizable. Most professionals use Outlook to keep track of exactly what you said in your original post. Like you I manage various projects and tasks all with different due dates from a few days to several weeks or months. Right now I am tracking over a dozen different projects and from my task page in Outlook I can see each task and where it is at. On any one day Outlook will display a reminder of an upcoming deadline or task that is due. I schedule my alerts for in the morning between 8-9am so I can focus on what needs done for the day. Lets say I get an email telling me I have a project due in 2 weeks. Right from the email I can set up the date and time of my next alert, usually 3-4 days before the due date. From that alert I can then schedule the next alert etc right down to the time the project is due. After reading the email and setting it up as a task, I then move the email into the project folder for future reference. From the email page I can click an arrow and a box opens up with shows me the tasks due today, tomorrow, next week, this month and next month. Outlook is a powerful program that can manage email, tasks, send out meeting invitations, manage your calendar, notes, and manage your contacts. If you are not using it I would suggest starting there. If you are using it then you just need to look under hood and check out all the features besides email. Your Outlook calendar can also be exported to your smart phone, and tablet by linking it to a gmail account. Your calendar can also be set up to manage your tasks and provide alerts. Hope this helps.

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
The Following User Says Thank You to theamcguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Suggetions on Managing

Simple. I retired 2 years ago.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

its a scanner, i got mine from office depot...it comes with the soft ware, very reasonable...i dont use everything its capable of, except i keep track of my stuff like i said, and i do all my receipts..and i can do a report...i do the report and give it to my tax lawyer...done...breaks it all down...and i can do it 7 or 8 ways...and for me the entire cost was deductable the first year..and, because its an image, its all accepted by the IRS...and i feel that right there is valuable

no more shoe boxes and big envelopes with stuff in it...at the end of the year, i put all the reports on a thumb drive..and throw all the stuff away as i scan..ive been chasing paper work for 13 years and it SUUUUUCKS...not anymore...for me anyway..

it has software that can look at the scan, read what it is, pulls money out, the customer or the store etc but it give you an opportunity to place it..and thats how i abuse it....

i scan recievables make up a folder name and it does a report..its really a cool piece....

big thing is the scanner just reads it, not store it, my PC does that so i can drop box it, or back it up...i can access my computer on the road..so..its always available...

i have a friend that does something very simular with the cloud.

wow...i just looked and they have neat cloud....cool...

the only one worth buying is the neatdesk...the mobile scanner is junk...the other product i know nothing about..

if you read the reviews..lots of bad press..but since they fixed the soft ware no issues..20+ friends and business contacts i have use it now because i like it so much

the thing i abuse it is, communications with people bids and payments, i can put a folder together and everything i do for that customer, all the emails and letters i get thru the mail, sub contractors documents, email adresses phone numbers...checks everything in one place...one file...

http://www.neat.com/

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Last edited by marxjunk; 12-06-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As an engineer myself, I have a notebook, a computer with a personal filing system that works great for me, and a superb memory that allows me to remember so many mundane details and repeat them without having to consult every last book for them.

Biggest thing I do with email is if it's an important one, it gets to stay in the inbox until dealt with. Usually no more than 3 or 4 emails at a time get to remain there. Everything else is replied to as quickly as it comes in\I can get to and filed away or deleted if not important. I recently was given a staff of 3 people to help me manage the smaller details and train up, so I have managed to shift a lot of the mundane\boring stuff to them.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
I think I have seen programs that do it without being married to Google.
Google I despise like no other...
For everything you "NEED" a google account....frig that, then they ask, why dont you put your phone number in here Please?? so we can use it for security, in case you forget your password, RIGHT..... wonder how much they sell a phone number for these days??.
I have a Droid.. keeping google at bay is an ongoing task... sigh...

Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
Simple. I retired 2 years ago.
LOL! My buddy (college roommate, best man in my wedding) hired in on the same day as me and retired August 31, 2013.

Unfortunately - I don't think that's an option for me yet.

K

Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Biggest thing I do with email is if it's an important one, it gets to stay in the inbox until dealt with. Usually no more than 3 or 4 emails at a time get to remain there. Everything else is replied to as quickly as it comes in\I can get to and filed away or deleted if not important.
This has been my strategy for the last several years. Unfortunately I see that, as of right now, I have 132 emails in my inbox (all read and awaiting getting dealt with; all junk already disposed of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I recently was given a staff of 3 people to help me manage the smaller details and train up, so I have managed to shift a lot of the mundane\boring stuff to them.
This is good news (for you).

K

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This has been my strategy for the last several years. Unfortunately I see that, as of right now, I have 132 emails in my inbox (all read and awaiting getting dealt with; all junk already disposed of).

(lol)

K