Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default '61-2 Cat. lack of heater performance

My 61 wagon has 42,000 miles. I never used the original engine. Only one I ever had is 455 w/one heater connector on the right cyl head rear & one on the 61-2 style timing cover. I get only enuff warmth from the heater to know that the water is making its way in. Must stick my fingers in the floor vent w/fan on low. High will soon blow cold air.

Connecting garden hose to heater connectors shows plenty of flow, no sediment. Thermostat is 195. We cant even drive to church in cool weather let alone in the cold.

My new '61 car had an outstanding heater. Is there some fault with water flow w/new ('70) versus old (61-2) connections??

PJH

Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When the car is warm and the heater is on, feel both heater hoses. Are they both hot?

If not, you have a plugged heater core. If they are, you have a problem in the heater box. Check your vacuum and the servos too.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I belive the issue is where the hoses are attached. You need one off of the water crossover to the heater core. (hot water in) The return should go to the nipple on the timing cover.

POCI.org
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

OK....first, the hoses never really get 'hot', good & warm is best description.......there is far too much flow when garden hose is attached to indicate a plugged condition. I have used this 'test' on more than one occasion & there is a noticable difference. I wonder about the connector in the cly head being plugged/defective......ones I have seen have what looks like a clock spring attached for some reason.

Second....every 400/455 engined car I know of has the heater hose connected to the rear of the right cyl head. Why wouldnt that work as well in my '61????

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 04-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will work that way but you are only getting warm water from one side of the engine. The hottest spot is usually right at the thermostat. Its possible that the nipple on the head, or the return on the timing cover is plugged. Do you have a good accurate temp gage?? What temp is the engine running at?

POCI.org
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Senior Chief

Default Gauge

Unfortunately no temp gauge, trying to keep the interior as original as possible. Will add one if I have a bracket of suitable design & condition. Need to put the original PB booster/new SS lined cyl back on too.

Engine has an older aftermarket alum AFB intake on, I can easily add a front water connection.

Got a tree trim project to take care of first & Donna is all excited about attending machine gun shooting event Sat & Sun....requires some prep for an amputee....no car projects for next several days.

PJH

Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default Wagon

Drove the wagon to a political meeting this evening. Hoses not too hot to touch, but plenty warm....... The intake has a threaded connector for the original '61 5/8" hose connector. I think I have enuff 5/8 hose in place to make the connection. Now, all I need is a 'cap' for the 5/8 outlet on the rear of the head........

PJH